Santorum's Weather Bill

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Remember the posts about Sen. Rick Santorum's bill to not allow NOAA to provide weather info for free that pay services can provide? I wrote to both Santorum and Specter ( via email) Although I strongly disagree with Santorum he sent me an email response months ago detailing his position. Following is what I got from Specter:

Dear Mr. Zucker :

Thank you for contacting my office regarding S.786, the National Weather Service Duties Act of 2005.

I appreciate your taking the time to bring your views on this important matter to my attention. As a United States Senator, it is essential that I be kept fully informed on the issues of concern to my constituents. Be assured that I will keep your thoughts on the National Weather Service in mind when the Senate considers this or related issues during the 109th Congress.

The concerns of my constituents are of great importance to me, and I rely on you and other Pennsylvanians to inform me of your views. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office or visit my website at http://specter.senate.gov. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Arlen Specter

Oh.

I feel better *now.*

And they wonder why we need a well-armed militia.

That can't be a form letter. Too much detail and specific information in there actually addressing the issie.

They must think we are all idiots. Sigh.

Anthony said:
That can't be a form letter. Too much detail and specific information in there actually addressing the issie.

Yes, it is and yes, they do. Modern form letters allow for insertion of pertinent info (names, address, dates,etc) in same font so it looks thought out.

Hate is such a strong word, but after the charade of Robert's nomination and the blame game after Katrina I am inching ever closer to hate for 'our' elected reps. For now, I simply despise them for their attitude that they do not have to answer to their constiuents...except for offhand and flippant sound bite. Sorry for the rant.

SCCutler said:
Oh.

I feel better *now.*

And they wonder why we need a well-armed militia.

Well before you open fire :target: :eek: ....

I think the big thing is we need to change the American apathy at elections. Our turnouts are terrible. Part of it is a lack of really good candidates too. But if we don't start voting these weenies out and demanding good leaders we are going to get talking heads who can only speak in sound bites.

FYI the follow up to a form letter is to next attend one of his constituent breakfasts or town halls. If you can organize yourself with some good speaking points making an appointment with his legislative assistant is an excellent thing to do. Writing is good but it is not the only thing.

I don't remember who said it but it is true, 'Government is for those that show up'. It means we have to never let the bastards rest until we get what we want.

Thanks for the update on this. Does anyone know if the bill is still alive or is it stuck in committee?

Scott

Correction, they KNOW we are all idiots ... we elected them, didn't we?

Anthony said:

Term limits. Put and end to "professional politicians". Let "the people" run the country again, and then have to go back and live in/with what they created.

smigaldi said:
Well before you open fire :target: :eek: ....

I think the big thing is we need to change the American apathy at elections. Our turnouts are terrible. Part of it is a lack of really good candidates too. But if we don't start voting these weenies out and demanding good leaders we are going to get talking heads who can only speak in sound bites.

FYI the follow up to a form letter is to next attend one of his constituent breakfasts or town halls. If you can organize yourself with some good speaking points making an appointment with his legislative assistant is an excellent thing to do. Writing is good but it is not the only thing.

I don't remember who said it but it is true, 'Government is for those that show up'. It means we have to never let the bastards rest until we get what we want.

Thanks for the update on this. Does anyone know if the bill is still alive or is it stuck in committee?

Scott

mgkdrgn said:
Term limits. Put and end to "professional politicians". Let "the people" run the country again, and then have to go back and live in/with what they created.

Only if they are reasonable term limits.

Our city council and mayor are limited to two, 2 year terms. 6 months after they get into office they have to start campaigning. Our city can't accomplish any kind of long term plan. Huge money is wasted starting one thing, stopping it, and moving on to something else. Those kinds of term limits do more harm than good.

Campaign money is also a real problem, 'cause candidates are indebted to contributors.

I'm close to concluding that there is no good way to deal with it..

AdamZ said:
<snip> Following is what I got from Specter:
<snip>

Well, that would be one form letter MORE than I got from writing to both Senators (Levin and Stabenow) and our Congressman (Knollenberg).

None of them have replied in almost 5 weeks.

I'm going to resend my letter to them, and ask why I havn't received a reply.

Steve

Richard said:
Yes, it is and yes, they do. Modern form letters allow for insertion of pertinent info (names, address, dates,etc) in same font so it looks thought out.

I was being facetious. I knew it was a form letter and its obvious, a few fields were modified to give the image of responding personally. Even so, it had NO specific information regarding the issue. Just a way to respond without wasting time with details.

wsuffa said:
I'm close to concluding that there is no good way to deal with it..

I think it was Robert A. Heinlein, the author who (for all his faults) had a possible solution along the lines National Service or Jury Duty, any citizen can be called on to perform as a congressman or Senator for a single term. No reelection, no pork barrels, no conflicts of interest. He had a whole system governing how they were elected (including intelligence tests for voters which I thought was particularly fun).

Unfortunately, I still find it hard to believe that any of our politicians ever act in the best interest, rather than the special interest of whoever it was put a big chunk of change in their campaign chests.

SJP said:
Well, that would be one form letter MORE than I got from writing to both Senators (Levin and Stabenow) and our Congressman (Knollenberg).

None of them have replied in almost 5 weeks.

I'm going to resend my letter to them, and ask why I havn't received a reply.

Steve

Well, I finally got a reply from one Senator - took 5 weeks...here is the reply, and the original letter sent below. Given that I never once used 'TFR' in my letter, pretty obvious that someone did a quick scan of my letter, and shot of a form reply without bothering to actually read the content :

Dear Mr. Pocock:

Thank you for contacting me about Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR). I appreciate hearing your views on this subject.

Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR) are issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to restrict aircraft operations in certain areas. The FAA has used TFRs as a means of keeping airspace open for firefighting, rescue or law enforcement aircraft, and to keep aircraft away from flight hazards such as toxic gas leaks or even volcanic eruptions. Since September 11, 2001, TFRs have been widely used to restrict flights through certain airspace for national security reasons. New regulations enacted in 2001 allow for flight restrictions around events such as air shows and major sporting events. Pilots who stray into TFR airspace can lose their licenses, risk large fines and may be intercepted by military or law enforcement.

Some TFRs can be issued on very short notice. The Airplane Owners and Pilot’s Association (AOPA) has tried to remain ahead of the FAA by disseminating their own advanced information through local flying clubs in areas they expect to be affected. Due to the dynamic nature of Presidential or other VIP movement, it is often difficult to decrease restrictions or increase preparation time while also maintaining adequate security.

Should legislation regarding flight restrictions come before the Senate, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin
Original Email said:
Sir,

As you may be aware, the FAA is currently reviewing comments on a proposal to make the current Temporary Air Defense Identification Zone permanent (http://dms.dot.gov/search/document....&docketid=17005) and in addition, H.R 3465 (Menendez et al) proposes to impose draconian fines on anyone that violates the boundaries of the zone. Both of these activities are put forward on the basis of being necessary in response to a continued threat of terrorist attack

Given that to date, almost all experts have agreed that light General Aviation aircraft pose a negligible security threat, no credible evidence exists of any terrorist threat involving the use aircraft less than 12,500lbs, and the simple fact that any aircraft sufficiently large as to pose a threat, would be traveling fast enough to render the zone useless in any case, how can we continue to impose restrictions on the freedom of travel of our citizens? The FAA proposal, combined with the proposed bill amount to nothing but a political smoke and mirrors game intended to convey the appearance of doing something to protect the security of the capital, while knowing that there is no real protection afforded by either action.

How long will it be, before an administrative error, air traffic control oversight, or simple pilot confusion, result in the shooting down of a U.S. Citizen who was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time ? We only need to look at the current Government embarrassment caused by the accidental shooting of an innocent man to see potential future results of this poorly constructed, and largely ineffective legislation.

As a resident in the State of Michigan, I would be very interested in hearing your views on the subject.

Sincerely,

Steven J. Pocock

mgkdrgn said:

Term limits are like saying let's do something to prevent us from electing this idiot again. Elections should be the only form of term limit needed. If only voters were better informed. <sigh>

Back