Santa Barbara to Redlands and Return Info. Request

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
I'm considering a VFR flight from Santa Barbara (KSBA) to Redlands (KREI) and then returning later to Santa Barbara. I intend to utilize flight following, but wonder how communications/routing with San Bernardino International (KSBD, the old Norton AFB) will work for the arrival and departure from Redlands since KREI is just east of KSBD's Class D airspace. Would it be best to try and hug the hills north and avoid the Class D all together, along with Ontario's Class C? Or, could I expect clearance off KSBD's frequency while still in their airspace to make traffic position reports for Redlands?

For the return, would I turn southbound out of Redlands, contact KSBS tower for clearance into their airpsace then get a handoff to SOCAL, or go with SOCAL first and plan on staying south of the Class D? The terrain to the north is a factor considering my planes performance so avoiding the Class D that way isn't a good option.

I'm considering a VFR flight from Santa Barbara (KSBA) to Redlands (KREI) and then returning later to Santa Barbara. I intend to utilize flight following, but wonder how communications/routing with San Bernardino International (KSBD, the old Norton AFB) will work for the arrival and departure from Redlands since KREI is just east of KSBD's Class D airspace. Would it be best to try and hug the hills north and avoid the Class D all together, along with Ontario's Class C? Or, could I expect clearance off KSBD's frequency while still in their airspace to make traffic position reports for Redlands?

For the return, would I turn southbound out of Redlands, contact KSBS tower for clearance into their airpsace then get a handoff to SOCAL, or go with SOCAL first and plan on staying south of the Class D? The terrain to the north is a factor considering my planes performance so avoiding the Class D that way isn't a good option.

https://www.cityofredlands.org/User... of Life/Airport/NoiseAbatementProceedure.pdf

I haven’t flown in there. My plan would be to call SBD on the way in and find out how they do things there and then talk with some local folk at REI and find out more

Did my PP Checkride at Redlands. Did a couple of landings at SBD. It’s probably the quietest airport of its size anywhere.

I'm considering a VFR flight from Santa Barbara (KSBA) to Redlands (KREI) and then returning later to Santa Barbara.

Once SBA turns you over to Pt. Mugu approach it should be pretty easy with flight following.. Just watch yourself on V186 once you hit Van Nuys.... SoCal might tell you you are almost in the LA Class B... you're not if you are on the airway center line.. I always fly a little to the left heading east, and right heading west.. Also, Filmore VOR is out of service

Also, there is a Presidential TFR in LA on Friday. When these hit, I go sailing..

Have a good flight

https://www.cityofredlands.org/UserFiles/Servers/Server_6255662/File/City Hall/Departments/Quality of Life/Airport/NoiseAbatementProceedure.pdf

I haven’t flown in there. My plan would be to call SBD on the way in and find out how they do things there and then talk with some local folk at REI and find out more

Thanks for the link to the noise abatement procedure. I didn't see reference to that in the chart supplement for Redlands so should have thought to look for an airport web page as well.

Transitioning ONT you will likely just be given remain north of the I-10, no need to avoid the C all together.

KREI has a 6% grade I believe. If you are landing on 8 and have not touched down by the first taxi way do a go around.

When you depart and using 8 then no worries. But if you depart using 26 call KSBD just as you take off, plenty of time to call them and get the ok to transition. You can then stay North of the 210 and KONT Class C will not be an issue, you will have plenty of time to get flight following before getting to KBUR airspace.

KREI is narrow and has that grade so just don't force a landing.

Also KSBD does not have radar so announce your position if you are not squawking a code.

Transitioning ONT you will likely just be given remain north of the I-10, no need to avoid the C all together.

KREI has a 6% grade I believe. If you are landing on 8 and have not touched down by the first taxi way do a go around.

When you depart and using 8 then no worries. But if you depart using 26 call KSBD just as you take off, plenty of time to call them and get the ok to transition. You can then stay North of the 210 and KONT Class C will not be an issue, you will have plenty of time to get flight following before getting to KBUR airspace.

KREI is narrow and has that grade so just don't force a landing.

Also KSBD does not have radar so announce your position if you are not squawking a code.

Thanks, this is the kind of local knowledge I'm looking for. Most of my flying has been with IFR clearances so frequencies and routing clearance/coordination was part of the ATC interface.

Thanks, this is the kind of local knowledge I'm looking for. Most of my flying has been with IFR clearances so frequencies and routing clearance/coordination was part of the ATC interface.

A lot of NORDO pilots out of Redlands. Check, recheck and check again for planes.

Back