Sandel SN3308 - bulb failure or something worse?

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
At my fuel stop today, about two minutes after starting back up, my Sandel HSI display went completely dark. The control buttons were still illuminated (hard to see this in daylight, but after dark it is obvious), but the display was completely dark, and therefore I had lost not only a nav instrument but also my DG. I had intended on picking up an IFR back home but obviously that would not be legal now, so I limped home VFR.

At first I thought it was a simple projector bulb failure - the bulb is supposed to be replaced every 200 hours or one year, but mine had run about 100 hours in the last year and a half. The reason I'm concerned it may be something worse than that is that when the unit is powered up in flight, the SUSP annunciator comes on on my 480, and goes off when the Sandel is powered down. I'd never power cycled the unit in flight before and wasn't sure that was abnormal, but after landing I tried letting all the avionics boot normally, and the SUSP annunciator was still there even after WAAS was in use and a valid flight plan from the current airport was EXEC'd. In this last instance, the annunciator flashed on and off at irregular intervals, even after pressing the SUSP button.

However heading info is still being output to the autopilot, since with the A/P in heading mode, the heading bug will still command turns. I didn't think to try either the SYNC button or to check if the OBS control still works in conjunction with the HSI view on the 480 map page, but will do that next.

Any suggestions of other things to try would be welcome. I also considered that engine vibration might have caused the Sandel to unseat partially, but that seems unlikely as it hasn't happened before, because my avionics tech a couple of years ago fashioned a fix to prevent that from happening, and because the plane is over 20 hours out of its last maintenance (annual) where something might have been disturbed.

Last edited:
All I can offer is a wish for good luck. I hear they are pricey to fix. Hope its just a bulb, which probably isn't inexpensive either.

At my fuel stop today, about two minutes after starting back up, my Sandel HSI display went completely dark. The control buttons were still illuminated (hard to see this in daylight, but after dark it is obvious), but the display was completely dark, and therefore I had lost not only a nav instrument but also my DG. I had intended on picking up an IFR back home but obviously that would not be legal now, so I limped home VFR.

At first I thought it was a simple projector bulb failure - the bulb is supposed to be replaced every 200 hours or one year, but mine had run about 100 hours in the last year and a half. The reason I'm concerned it may be something worse than that is that when the unit is powered up in flight, the SUSP annunciator comes on on my 480, and goes off when the Sandel is powered down. I'd never power cycled the unit in flight before and wasn't sure that was abnormal, but after landing I tried letting all the avionics boot normally, and the SUSP annunciator was still there even after WAAS was in use and a valid flight plan from the current airport was EXEC'd. In this last instance, the annunciator flashed on and off at irregular intervals, even after pressing the SUSP button.

However heading info is still being output to the autopilot, since with the A/P in heading mode, the heading bug will still command turns. I didn't think to try either the SYNC button or to check if the OBS control still works in conjunction with the HSI view on the 480 map page, but will do that next.

Any suggestions of other things to try would be welcome. I also considered that engine vibration might have caused the Sandel to unseat partially, but that seems unlikely as it hasn't happened before, because my avionics tech a couple of years ago fashioned a fix to prevent that from happening, and because the plane is over 20 hours out of its last maintenance (annual) where something might have been disturbed.

Good excuse to upgrade to a G-500...:D;)

All I can offer is a wish for good luck. I hear they are pricey to fix. Hope its just a bulb, which probably isn't inexpensive either.

The bulb isn't a big deal, I've heard of folks buying the generic equivalent bulb, googling the manual and doing it in less then a hour themselves.

My guess would be the bulb.

It's almost certainly the bulb.

On a whim this morning I called the avionics shop at 6B0, and Bill who is the owner and chief tech wizard there actually answered, on a Saturday. He had another SN-3308 there to try so he said come on over. On the way I checked every bit of functionality I could without being able to see the display. Heading bug, SYNC button, OBS control. The heading bug still commands the A/P and the OBS controls the 480 HSI display, same as always. If the Sandel is not power cycled after the avionics master is powered on and the 480 boots, there is no SUSP annunciation. Basically, it's alive, just dark.

Bill confirmed that the other unit works fine in my plane, but he didn't have time to swap out the bulb to be 100% certain that the problem was the bulb. But he said that if it is something inside the Sandel it's either the internal power supply or the bulb, and there is only one P/S so if everything else works, it has to be the bulb.

Changing the bulb is a couple tenths of an AMU and it's supposed to be done annually anyway. Bill suggested that there may still be an upgrade path to an LED-based Sandel, but I probably won't live long enough for the upgrade to pay for itself.

He also tried to sell me on a GTN750 to replace both my 480 and sick GMX-200. Again, the GMX-200 repair would have to be awfully expensive to justify getting a 750. When the 480 dies, if Garmin has stopped hardware support by then (likely), then I'll think about it.

So he's ordering a bulb for me and hopefully it will come in by Friday.

It's almost certainly the bulb.

On a whim this morning I called the avionics shop at 6B0, and Bill who is the owner and chief tech wizard there actually answered, on a Saturday. He had another SN-3308 there to try so he said come on over. On the way I checked every bit of functionality I could without being able to see the display. Heading bug, SYNC button, OBS control. The heading bug still commands the A/P and the OBS controls the 480 HSI display, same as always. If the Sandel is not power cycled after the avionics master is powered on and the 480 boots, there is no SUSP annunciation. Basically, it's alive, just dark.

Bill confirmed that the other unit works fine in my plane, but he didn't have time to swap out the bulb to be 100% certain that the problem was the bulb. But he said that if it is something inside the Sandel it's either the internal power supply or the bulb, and there is only one P/S so if everything else works, it has to be the bulb.

Changing the bulb is a couple tenths of an AMU and it's supposed to be done annually anyway. Bill suggested that there may still be an upgrade path to an LED-based Sandel, but I probably won't live long enough for the upgrade to pay for itself.

He also tried to sell me on a GTN750 to replace both my 480 and sick GMX-200. Again, the GMX-200 repair would have to be awfully expensive to justify getting a 750. When the 480 dies, if Garmin has stopped hardware support by then (likely), then I'll think about it.

So he's ordering a bulb for me and hopefully it will come in by Friday.

You'd be better off replacing both the GMX-200 & Sandel with a G-500 since the 200 is nothing but the MFD you get on the right side.

The bulb isn't a big deal, I've heard of folks buying the generic equivalent bulb, googling the manual and doing it in less then a hour themselves.

My guess would be the bulb.
The generic equivalent bulb is a no-no. Sandel issued a threatening SB about those knock-off bulb kits saying they are unreliable, make the plane unairworthy, and might prompt FAA enforcement action.

I would have assumed it was all just to force you to pay the high premium price, but before the SB came out I actually bought a set of 3 bulbs that way and hired my old avionics guy in MI to install them. The first one worked fine for over a year, but the tech balked at installing the second one, apparently because of the SB, though I hadn't seen it at the time. He finally installed it but refused to log the installation. But the bulb was a dud from the start, was so dim that I had trouble reading the display in the diffuse light inside clouds. (In fact it was a contributing factor to a mistake I made on an ILS one time that could easily have gotten me a PD.)

Bottom line, I wouldn't trust the knock-off bulbs now, even if Sandel hadn't issued that SB.

You'd be better off replacing both the GMX-200 & Sandel with a G-500 since the 200 is nothing but the MFD you get on the right side.
If I win the lottery, that'll definitely be on my things to do... :lol:

Back