San Francisco?

Oh and Fisherman's Wharf I avoid at all costs. Try Golden Gate Park, or the Embarcadero and Ferry Building.

I've seen it.

There was an episode of Top Gear (BBC version) where the guys were in Africa and ran across a tour group of Americans. They guys had to make some pretty funny comments about them.

One of my favorite episodes. I think they called it spotting Americans in the wild.

The bay flight in a 172 was pretty sweet. out of SQL we went right over the top of SFO.

Don't forget to visit the awesome museums in Golden Gate Park to see famous works of art by artists like Renoir and Rodin.

The de Young museum is well worth the visit!

http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/

MOMA is undergoing construction right now but they do have gallery exhibitions:

http://www.sfmoma.org/

For some cool Asian art (a personal favorite of mine!)

http://www.asianart.org/

I love museums and SF has some of the best anywhere.

Looks like mid-March, and 4 or 5 days. I'm going to try to avoid renting a car (even just for a day), so if we get out of town it might be with some kind of bus tour, we'll play that one by ear.

I am going out in May, I will probably try to fly around the bay again. That was a great time, if the weather allows for good views. if that doesn't work, I may check out some of the more touristy stuff that I have avoided in the past. Alcatraz, etc.

But I will be there for work, so I am not sure that I will have time for much.

In most major cities, I just avoid the rental car completely.

I am going out in May, I will probably try to fly around the bay again. That was a great time, if the weather allows for good views. if that doesn't work, I may check out some of the more touristy stuff that I have avoided in the past. Alcatraz, etc.

But I will be there for work, so I am not sure that I will have time for much.

In most major cities, I just avoid the rental car completely.

So, are you taking the Archer or the Arrow? I can safety pilot.:D

So, are you taking the Archer or the Arrow? I can safety pilot.:D

It's for work, no GA flying allowed.

If it was I would let them reimburse me 55 cents per mile, and be a happy camper.

I'm sure one of the locals can help with a Bay Tour, whether it's the Cruise Director (Kimberly) or me or someone else.

In May, you may have marine layer to deal with, but that just means afternoon. Coming from Kansas, the afternoon winds will seem quaint.

In May, you may have marine layer to deal with, but that just means afternoon. Coming from Kansas, the afternoon winds will seem quaint.
Don't forget to bring your jacket or you will be one of those complaining about, "the coldest winter I ever I ever spent..."

It'll be March, if that's what you meant. And yes, about anything less than 25G45 will be welcome by then.

Don't forget to bring your jacket or you will be one of those complaining about, "the coldest winter I ever I ever spent..."

I did that a couple years ago, evening on Treasure island.

I'm sure one of the locals can help with a Bay Tour, whether it's the Cruise Director (Kimberly) or me or someone else.

The Cruise Director?

I guess I do take all POA pilots up, huh.

Made it, had a great trip. My wife, my daughter, and I spent the week, scratched the surface, and had a great time.

Got there Sunday night, checked into the Hilton near Union Square, then walked around for a while before ducking into a 24-hr diner for a late dinner.

Monday, we just started walking, without much of a plan, and ended up at Fisherman's Wharf. We managed to walk UP Lombard St, that was a hike. We spent the day wandering around and getting sunburned. Our pasty winter-white Kansas bodies haven't seen sunlight for 6 months, and it was a really beautiful day. We rode the cable car back. Got dinner, then walked over to Johnny Foley's Irish House where "It's Always Time for a Pint!" It was St. Patrick's Day and they were packed. There was a wait to get into the main pub, but no wait for the downstairs so that's where we went. They had dueling pianos that night, and it was a blast. The Guiness and Harp was good, too.

Tuesday we took a winery bus tour. This particular tour mixes up where they go and this time it took us to the Russian River Valley, west of the Sonoma Valley. During one of the winery tours I heard "that sound" and went outside to see a P51 cruise past. I was the only one impressed, though. The tour finished with us taking the passenger ferry back to the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero.

Wed, we just took it easy and spent some more time wandering around and checking into some shops. We did stop in at the Cable Car Museum. It's free and really a pretty cool place for a mechanical geek. It's the drive house for the whole cable car system.

Thur, we spent the day at the California Academy of Science museum and aquarium in Golden Gate Park. That was a nice way to end the trip because we flew back out the next morning.

Likes: lots of stuff to see and do that was free, lots of places to eat (but even the cheap places were expensive), a bustling part of town, people were actually friendly. The public transit is pretty easy to use, ince you figure it out. Get some hints and tips online or from the hotel concierge and just hop on and go someplace - just remember to take a lot of dollar bills because you'll need exact change

Dislikes: a lot of panhandlers (but they weren't abusive or pushy, they were just everywhere), a lot of street people (a lot seemed drunk, but maybe an equal number seemed mentally ill), expensive.

Next time: head to the coast, the Presidio, Sausalito. We were close but just didn't have time to do it all.

Got back home last night, then spent 4hrs in the Arrow this morning. I need a day off!

Last edited:
Tadich Grill. Mandarin Oriental.

Back