San Diego this weekend

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Anything going on down in Southern California this weekend??

I should get into Gillespie Friday afternoon and leave Monday. If there's anything fun within a short flight, it would be fun to link up.

I won't have to pay some California tax just for landing there for the weekend---will I? ;)

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS:)

There's an airport very close to the Legoland Park that has a bunch of classic warbirds. You can sign up for some sight seeing in one or even a mock battle in them.

Sadly, I can't recall the name of the place..but I think if you google on "warbirds san diego" you'll find it fast enough. :)

The airport closest to Legoland would be Palomar. I didn't know they had warbirds there! Very cool! I used to live not too far from there in Escondido, attended National University in Vista (and San Diego), mother in law worked in Carlsbad then. Flew out of Miramar way back when...

As far as fun things to do in San Diego area... we liked the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park in Escondido, Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park, wandering around the marinas near Fiesta Island, (used to be able to) tour a carrier at North Island if any were in...I think the Midway is there as a museum now...anyone confirm that? Mission Bay was always a fun place to rent a jetski or ski boat. If you're into fishing, take a half-day boat from the Mission Bay marina... used to scuba dive off Sunset Cliffs every weekend, back when it was legal to take abalone.

The best seafood in town, in my opinion was the Chart House near Del Mar. Humphrey's by the Bay was good, but more expensive. For people watching, the boardwalk in Mission Beach is outstanding. Scripps Aquarium is interesting as well.

20 year old info here, but the best biscuits and gravy, as well as catfish and hushpuppies was at the cafe at Lake Wolford, NE of Escondido.

Last edited:
Or, go up to Fullerton and fly with Air Combat USA; dogfighting in Marchettis sounds like fun to me.

===

Greg K.: I finally spot another NU alum.

/s/ Spike

Sorry guys. Thanks for all the suggestions. Wasn't really looking for tourist stuff or going out so much as perhaps linking up with some board members out there sometime this weekend. Anyone flying anywhere out there this weekend where a Texican can join in? Several of us linked up in Llano, Texas this weekend and had a great time talkin about and flying planes.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Dave, Stop by Havasu on your way out if you wish. We could do some flying or talking. Depending on your speed. San Diego can be 1 - 2 hour flight from here.
:D

Thanks Michael. Never been up your way. Normally, I'd head right over Yuma on the way to KSEE. Let me see what else is goin on.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks Michael. Never been up your way. Normally, I'd head right over Yuma on the way to KSEE. Let me see what else is goin on.

Dave
Havasu is very nice this time of year, especially by the river. LOTS and LOTS of scenery. Landscape is nice, too. ;)

spring_break_LH001_500X300wr.jpg

And spring break is right around the corner :)
http://www.springbreakworld.com/html/lake_havasu.html :dance:

Michael,

Is that one of the Lake Havasu events that gets *ahem* kinda "wild"??? I've heard some really juicy stories that I can't tell because this might be a family board..... :D

When you say Kinda wild. do you mean like pilots flying sea planes low towing banners encouraging the showing of flesh? If so....um..Yes Thats one of them events :)
Anyone got a sea plane rating?

Michael

SCCutler said:
Or, go up to Fullerton and fly with Air Combat USA; dogfighting in Marchettis sounds like fun to me.

===

Greg K.: I finally spot another NU alum.

/s/ Spike

Been there done that, yes it is a blast. Just watch what you eat before, I was making use of the bag on the 6th dogfight, didn't care still had a great time.
Don

Michael said:
When you say Kinda wild. do you mean like pilots flying sea planes low towing banners encouraging the showing of flesh? If so....um..Yes Thats one of them events :)

Michael
Sigh. I used to hang out at the Roadrunner, down the river. Wow. Haven't been there in a while, though, and I heard they took down all the Polaroids? Sad. Very sad.

Michael said:

Michael

Um, yep, that would be it. At least from the pilots point of view. And I think I'll stop there.

Brian Austin said:
Sigh. I used to hang out at the Roadrunner, down the river. Wow. Haven't been there in a while, though, and I heard they took down all the Polaroids? Sad. Very sad.

You know, Brian, there are a bunch of pictures floating around online. Not that I'd know where to find them, of course.

Long trip yesterday. Headwinds almost the entire trip!! Logged 6.0 from Dallas to Palm Springs. PSP approach was just swamped with Bus Jets inbound. They got me about three miles from the end of the runway at 7,000 and slam dunked me ( I knew it was coming). Cleared me to land; best forward speed (I was wondering what other kind there was--reverse speed?). Gave a wilco, dropped my A-1 landing gear speed brake and --as Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal says--came on down!!

Ramp was full of bus gets. No one met us so I pulled the A-36 up right in front and jumped out to see what the beautiful people looked like. 100LL was $4.03 but no other charges--flowage, tax, my uncle needs help, etc.

Then hopped over to San Diego. Ice in the top of clouds; localizer approach to Gillespie wasn't too bad. Rained all night yesterday. Where'd the Eagles get the idea it never rains here??

Best,

Dave S

Last edited:
Back