San Diego Bay Tour video.

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
Saturday was my birthday and my best friend came over to hang out for a while. We ended up taking the Mooney up for a quick tour of San Diego. The weather was absolutely beautiful, in the high 70's, but the winds were 070 which is completely opposite of normal so I got to take off and land on RWY6 at CRQ for the first time. Even the controllers were getting it mixed up. So used to saying 24 all the time that they had to correct my landing clearance, and the ATIS recording still said 24 as well. It was a lot of fun though, and we even spotted a group of whales off the coast of La Jolla. They didn't show up in the video that well, but we had a great view.

http://youtu.be/4N4LFVkO9m8

Nice vid! I always wanted to do "bay tour", but never had a chance yet :)

Oh perfect timing. I am doing that same trip with my instructor next Thursday. Watching the video will definitely help visualize the route.

-Brian

Great video thanks for sharing it!, I'd love to come out to California and do some flying, looks great!

Thanks for the post,hope to be out there summer of 2016.

Back in a days I used file IFR to SDM and then IFR from SDM to CRQ. I always ended up flying to MZB vectors to V23 - there was my "bay tour" at 4000 feet :)

I enjoyed your video. I work with a guy that use to live in Oceanside and worked at SONGS power plant. I kept looking for the plant but did not spot it in the video. I forwarded the link to him since I know he will recognize everything.

Great video thanks for sharing it!, I'd love to come out to California and do some flying, looks great!

Dude, let me know when you do (I'm north of LAX). Looks like I'll be in TN this July.

Oh perfect timing. I am doing that same trip with my instructor next Thursday. Watching the video will definitely help visualize the route.

-Brian

So how did it go Brian?

How was the air? I was supposed to go up on Saturday morning but cancelled because of the turbulence SIGMETs and LLWS reports.

Awesome video. I grew up in the San Diego area and learned to fly at CRQ. Was some awesome flying in SoCal, and loved making the trip to Catalina Island for some lunch. Your video brought back some great memories, thanks for sharing.

How was the air? I was supposed to go up on Saturday morning but cancelled because of the turbulence SIGMETs and LLWS reports.

A couple bumps here and there, but nothing big. I think it was worse in the morning.

Very nice! I've got friends that moved to San Diego and I'm going to fly down there to visit them in May.

I lived in La Jolla in the early 80's and got my PPL at KMYF in 1985. Your video brought back a lot of memories. Hard to beat those days in SoCal when the breeze shifts offshore and the severe clear, dry air moves in.

I was stationed in San Diego for my Navy days in the 70's. 2 years on 32nd street on a gilded missile destroyer and 2.5 years on a sub tender on Point Loma. I use to rent sail boats and head to the harbor all the time. Your video brought back a lot of memories! Well done, thanks!

So I just flew this today with my instructor. Was super easy to do, and such an awesome view. Definitely was fun. I found it was much easier if I had all my radios dialed in to SAN and North Island before I even took off. Just a matter of switching inputs rather than dialing in frequencies.

Was a bit nervous we weren't going to be able to do it, very heavy marine layer this morning, but it burned off enough by 11 to go. Would have videoed it on my GoPro, but I brain farted and forgot to check the batter last night. Oh well.

-Brian

Back