San Deigo Gillespie NOTAM

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Flyin into KSEE tomorrow and read the following NOTAM

7/8618 - FI/T GILLESPIE FIELD, SAN DIEGO/EL CAJON, CA. LOC D, AMDT 10A... GRIGG FM MINIMUMS NA. DESCENT ANGLE AND TCH NA. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 28 SEP 18:51 2007

Without the fan marker on the approach, the minimums are 2400 (AGL) and 1 1/4 mile vis. With the fan marker: 1200 and same vis. So, with an IFR GPS that identifies GRIGG, can one still fly to the lower minimums or does the GRIGG FM MINIMUMS NA mean one can't step down--period?

Of what consequence is the TCH NA? On the approach, there is a TCH (which means threashold crossing height) of 45 and a displaced threashold. Is that NA because the FM at GRIGG is out (from one that has flown in here many times and thought they really understood this approach <g>)

Best,

Dave

If the minimums are that low (and they have been in the mornings) it might be worthwhile to do the ILS at KMYF. It's only a short drive.

I agree with Lance in the other thread. The way the NOTAM is written I do not believe you can come down lower even if you ID GREGG with a GPS

Joe

I agree with Lance in the other thread. The way the NOTAM is written I do not believe you can come down lower even if you ID GREGG with a GPS

Joe

Agree. The NOTAM states that the minimums are NA, not the FM. There may well be an obstruction that interferes with the safety zone.

Concur with Joe and Bill -- as the NOTAM is written, you have no idea why those minimums are deleted, but regardless, you may not use the GRIGG FM mins no matter what.

As for the "DESCENT ANGLE AND TCH NA," yes, it's because the GRIGG mins are NA (not just because GRIGG FM is inop, as a GPS sub for the MBR would be authorized if GRIGG FM were out but the mins were not NA), and the charting folks have not computed a new descent angle and TCH based on a straight line from 2400 at the FAF down to the TDZ.

Well, let me add to the confusion <g>

I flew the approach in yesterday in VFR conditions. When I dialed up the Loc D approach, GRIGG is clearly identified on the GPS as a step down point. As I descended, tower asked if I could identify GRIGG and I answered in the affirmative. They said to call them at GRIGG and expect an approach to 27 right, which I did.

I think the problem here is the wording of the NOTAM. I'll call airport management and post this on the FAA web site. From my previous conversation with the airport manager, nothing has changed but a fan marker that is OTS. I'll suggest the NOTAM be changed to reflect that if it is in fact the case.

Best,

Dave

Not getting much of a response this morning <g>
Lockhead sent me to the national NOTAM office, who sent me to Flight Standards in OKC--no answer--recording. So Cal. Approach sent me to Flight Standards. Airport management not answering--recorder. We'll just see where things go--sigh.

Best,

Dave

Dave- Any updates? I was an avid participant in this discussion over on the Beechlist and haven't heard what what the deal yet?

Finally heard from the fella in Flight Standards in OKC today. Very nice guy! He agreed if the fan marker being out was the only issue, the OTS would have been more appropriate and the IFR GPS could be used in lieu. As it turns out, this approach was designed under a criteria that is no longer acceptable. According to him, AOPA asked Flight Standard to review it. We discussed several things, but, in end, the descent gradient is steeper that what is depicted on the chart and does not meet current standards even if GRIGG can be identified. They were aware of the issue and were trying to avoid it as current standards may substantially change the approach.

Seems they will be reviewing the entire approach and laying out a new one.
It will be interesting to see what they do. He asked me several questions about how I fly this approach and how I circle to land to different runways.
Told him this approach had been discussed in several forums in which I participated, and outlined the procedures I follow and why.

Interesting stuff!!

Best,

Dave

Back