San Antonio, TX

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I'm looking for good vacation info on San Antonio, TX. We are looking for a nice winter escape for 3-4 days and need to find a place to land, tie down or rent a hanger, buy fuel, courteous cars, B&B suggestions, hotels, etc.

We plan on the River Walk and The Alamo of course, but any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Depends on what you like, and like to do.

If you are headed for downtown and points south, Stinson (KSSF) is a delightful airport, with really nice people who actually care that you're there. Don't worry about which FBO- two names, same folks. Even so, they do not gig you on service or pricing.

You like nice hotels, or really nice hotels?

I discovered, on my last visit, the Mokara, on the Riverwalk and just beautiful. Biggest hotel room I ever had (except the time the Intercontinental in New Orleans comped us the Claiborne Suite, but that's another story...).

If you like the big, ranging resort type property, you might like the Westin La Cantera, northwest part of town, but you'd probably land at the big airport (KSAT) for that; if you do, use Nayak as your FBO.

Tell more about your planned fun, we can dish more scoop. San Antone's a fun place.

If you haven't already, check on VAF - there are several RV'ers in that area that might have some open hangar space somewhere.

If that doesn't work out, we usually go to Castroville (KCVB). It's a sleepy little airport on the western edge of San Antonio. Check ahead about getting ground transportation, though - we always have my sister come pick us up, so we've never had to deal with rental cars out there.

River Walk is pretty cool - boat tour is pretty interesting if you get a good guide. There is also a open-air flea market in that area that was interesting to walk through.

Bourne (ber' nee) Stage airfield (5C1) is about 10 miles north of SA. There are nice B&Bs in Bourne (maybe another 5 miles north) . The airfield has a courtesy car--Toyota Yaris (free for short trips)--that they'll rent by the day for a nominal fee or there's rental car companies that will drop off at the airfield. It's about an hours' drive from Bourne to the Alamo/Riverwalk (I drive slow).

While convenient, San Antonio International is very expensive. Stinson would be a better choice.

Last edited:
Kids? Check out 6 Flags and the other Seaworld. Historical interest? Check out the missions (the Alamo is bes known, but there are others). La Fonda on main is good mexican food, and great people.

I used.to be based at Stinson. Great little GA field with tower. Riverwalk is fun, but check ahead - they empty it for.cleaning every year.

Lots of other stuff to do. What do you like?

I can personally vouch for either Boerne Stage or Stinson. I used to work for the FBO (San Antonio Aviation) at Stinson when I was still doing line service, and they are good folks. I currently teach at Boerne Stage (5C1) and don't think you'd be disappointed either place. The other airport mentioned, Castroville - definitely has the cheapest gas of the three, but it's not going to have the level of service, or ease of access, either. If you go to 5C1 - you could also try and get a glider flight or maybe come jump in the Cub.
If you are interested in the Missions history, try to go to at least one of the other missions to get a MUCH better idea of what the Alamo would've looked like back in the day. http://www.visitsanantonio.com/visitors/plan/featured-stories/san-antonio-missions/index.aspx Also be aware that some folks are "underwhelmed" by the Alamo. It's right in the middle of downtown. Try to go the nearby IMAX to see the movie about it to get more perspective before visiting the Alamo. Then you'll appreciate more of the import of the place.
The time of your visit may also make a difference. We've got the Stock Show and Rodeo coming up, and Fiesta as well.

Ryan

Thanks for the info so far.

Castroville, KCVB responded last night to an e-mail saying they can have a rental car waiting for us. Cheap fuel, and hail hangers to rent cheap. Sounds good so far!

Just my wife and I looking to get out of the cold weather for a while and see the Alamo, and what the area has to offer. We are scouting for a second home kinda thing and San Antonio seems to have a lot to offer.

We like party atmosphere bars, and places to eat, not so much on table cloths and such. Nice places to stay are good, B&B's are fun!

Last edited:
While you're down that way, go visit Fredericksburg (T82). Much to see, beautiful countryside, nice folks. Very short hop from San Antonio.

If you go there, tell the folks at the FBO Spike sent you.

/s/ Spike

Thanks for the info so far.

Castroville, KCVB responded last night to an e-mail saying they can have a rental car waiting for us. Cheap fuel, and hail hangers to rent cheap. Sounds good so far!

Just my wife and I looking to get out of the cold weather for a while and see the Alamo, and what the area has to offer. We are scouting for a second home kinda thing and San Antonio seems to have a lot to offer.

We like party atmosphere bars, and places to eat, not so much on table cloths and such. Nice places to stay are good, B&B's are fun!

Stay on the Riverwalk. Plenty of party bars & restaurants.

Good jazz club on the Riverwalk in the Hyatt Regency (very, very good if you can get a night that Jim Cullum is performing). The Watermark hotel & La Mansion del Rio hotel are both smaller properties that are nice (may be pricy). There are a couple of B&B's around, but I can't vouch for them. The Menger hotel is "old time Texas charm" and is reputed to be haunted.

While you're down that way, go visit Fredericksburg (T82). Much to see, beautiful countryside, nice folks. Very short hop from San Antonio.

If you go there, tell the folks at the FBO Spike sent you.

/s/ Spike

And while you're up in that area, stop by Luchenbach for a beer.

Stay on the Riverwalk. Plenty of party bars & restaurants.

Good jazz club on the Riverwalk in the Hyatt Regency (very, very good if you can get a night that Jim Cullum is performing). The Watermark hotel & La Mansion del Rio hotel are both smaller properties that are nice (may be pricy). There are a couple of B&B's around, but I can't vouch for them. The Menger hotel is "old time Texas charm" and is reputed to be haunted.

The Mokara is what was the Watermark - very nice property. Name changed a couple of months ago.

There are also several good options for a stop at lunchtime for barbeque when you head back home. Like Llano...

Ryan

I'm looking for good vacation info on San Antonio, TX. We are looking for a nice winter escape for 3-4 days and need to find a place to land, tie down or rent a hanger, buy fuel, courteous cars, B&B suggestions, hotels, etc.

We plan on the River Walk and The Alamo of course, but any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

An interesting place for local history in San Antonio District is the King William District. Real nice homes, some interesting history, and a good walking tour.

My Aunt has a home there and it's a nice place for a late morning or afternoon stroll.

(the Alamo is bes known, but there are others)

Don't forget the basement tour!

minizoom.jpg

We've been to San Antonio probably 20 times but have never flown there so I can't help on Airports. I've stayed at Palacio Del Rio (Hilton), the St Anthony, and a few Motel 8's. On the last visit we stayed at the Crockett Hotel across the street from the Alamo. I thought it was a nice little room and we'll probably stay there again when we return.

Other attractions that nobody has mentioned: La Villita, Japanese Sunken Tea Gardens, the zoo, Brackenridge Park, Ripleys, El Mercado (the market square - go eat breakfast at Mi Tierra if you go here). There's a little place across from the Alamo that has a scale model and history lesson, I can't remember the name of it but it was interesting.

If you go in the summer make a stop in New Braunfels. It's a 30 minute drive north.

... and like the others said, make sure you ask to see the basement of the Alamo.

For local Mexican food off the beaten path, try Jacala. www.jacala.com. It's the oldest family owned Mexican restaurant in San Antonio. Get their "puffy tacos", cheese nachos, and cheese enchiladas.

A real fun experience at T82 is the Hangar Hotel. www.hangarhotel.com

Last edited:
Little outside of San Antonio, but if it fits in your trip, try the Hangar Hotel at the Fredericksburg airport - you can actually park your plane right next to your room.

Also, check out Gruene, TX (next to New Braunfels) and have a beer at Gruene Hall. IIRC it is the oldest dance hall in Texas - usually has great live music.

Back