San Antonio area

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
I am giving a seminar north of San Antonio, need to be there by the evening of March 31 to April 3. Is SAT the best place? 5C1 is closest to seminar. I do not need a car our tansportation is provided. Plan to fly if weather allows.

Any suggestions about the area are welcomed.

Thanks Jon

dogman said:
I am giving a seminar north of San Antonio, need to be there by the evening of March 31 to April 3. Is SAT the best place? 5C1 is closest to seminar. I do not need a car our tansportation is provided. Plan to fly if weather allows.

Any suggestions about the area are welcomed.

Thanks Jon

5C1 has no instrument procedures. If you come IFR, use SAT or one of the other airports in the area.

Neighbors are, well not friendly, so call about noise abatement procedures.

I wouldn't want to land there after dark. I think the field is lighted, but there are no access controls to the runway, could be cars, people, large animals (deer), etc. Easier to see daytime. Runway itself, if I recall correctly, is somewhat narrow, with one section being wider than the rest.

Other than that, it's a laid back GA airport, and after calling about noise abatement, I'd probably fly in there VFR daytime. Make sure folks picking you up know where to go, they'll have to drive down the taxiway to get to the FBO.

SAT is typical big-city airport. About 25-30 minute drive from SAT to 5C1, depending on traffic. Maybe a bit longer evening rush hour.

SSF is on the south side of town, a lot further to go if you're headed to Boerne.

If you're coming from the west, Kerrville might be an option. It's a bit further, but might be faster (if you don't have to fly all the way down to SAT, then drive back out to Boerne).

New Braunfels (BAZ) is a short drive up I-35 north of San Antonio. Non-precision approaches to 500'. A little farther north, San Marcos (HYI) has an ILS.

DoubleD said:
New Braunfels (BAZ) is a short drive up I-35 north of San Antonio. Non-precision approaches to 500'. A little farther north, San Marcos (HYI) has an ILS.

They're quite a bit further to drive to the Boerne area than SAT is.

5C1 is on the NW side of San Antonio (city center), by about 25 miles up I-10. BAZ is about 25-30 miles NE of San Antonio (city Center) up I-35.

If he's headed up towards Boerne or La Cantera, SAT or 5C1 are the closest airports.

No one mentioned Bulverde or Kestrel, also on the north side of San Antonio off Highway 281. Neither have instrument approaches and Kestrel can be a challenge (narrow runway with a pretty good slope in places--definitely not night friendly). Kestrel usually has the cheapest fuel around. Boerne Stage has widened its runway now that there's a King Air based there but I don't like landing there at night primarily due to the deer that tend to congregate on the south end of the runway in the evening. In fact, there are deer to look out for at night on every airport around San Antonio. Daytime, it's a piece of cake!

Tim Witt
N63244/Boerne Stage

If he's gong to la Cantera (do we even know this?), I'd stick with SAT, and park at Nayak. You are inches from the freeway, and the drive is quite reasonable, even durig what passes for rush hour in San Antonio (oh, for SAT traffic in Dallas...).

Witmo said:
Tim Witt
N63244/Boerne Stage

Tim,

Are there any T-hangars available up there at Boerne? I'm down at SSF...

wsuffa said:
Tim,

Are there any T-hangars available up there at Boerne? I'm down at SSF...

There's lots of new t-hangars at Boerne and several larger hangars have been recently built. If you want, I'll talk with Bob Bruce (the owner of much of the airport) and see what the availability is like. Or, you can give him a call yourself (if you can get ahold of him) at the number listed on Airnav.

Tim

Thank you everyone,

I will call and see if any hangers are available,

lets hope the weather man is in good hummer that weekend!!

Jon

Back