Same Aircraft Throught Training

Toris1968

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Toris1968
What’s up everyone, got a question for ya’ll...is it more beneficial to train in one kind of airplane throughout the different ratings. Reason I ask is I want to do part 61 school near my house but also need the VA to fund some of my training so I’d have to go to a VA part 141 school at some point. The best fit and to maximize the benefit for say time building and commercial rating is for me is train in a much different airplane at another school. Is this wise? Look forward to hearing y’alls opinions. Thanks

Probably more efficient to learn and get your private license in one make/model plane with consistent avionics, then after that, it’s not going to make that much of a difference if you switch. You’ll pick up on the different plane quickly (1-2 hrs?) and then just try to stick with that for your next rating or cert.

Copy, thanks for the info, if it works out the way I want it to i’ll complete PPL and instrument in one type, and time building and commercial in another one that is at the VA approved school. Hopefully this is all a moot point anyways, I’m hoping to be one of the first cadre of the new Forces to Flyer program selectees here in a few days. If that happens I’ll be set getting the govt to pay for my training. Fingers crossed. Thanks again

Copy, thanks for the info, if it works out the way I want it to i’ll complete PPL and instrument in one type, and time building and commercial in another one that is at the VA approved school. Hopefully this is all a moot point anyways, I’m hoping to be one of the first cadre of the new Forces to Flyer program selectees here in a few days. If that happens I’ll be set getting the govt to pay for my training. Fingers crossed. Thanks again

Good to stay with the same type for Private just for consistency. Instrument you could switch or not, but a type switch will get you some practice in how to do that (review POH, do the numbers, learn any system differences, checkout with CFI, etc.).

Yes, changing planes will mean more hours to get your PPL.

But even more is changing CFIs, your CFI is the most important part of your training, find the best CFI and stick with them.

During my PPL I flew on 4 different kind of C150/152s, with slightly different cockpit and different attributes....I ve been told that is good for me later. I will be not frozen off when after PPl I sit in an other cessna... :D

Probably more efficient to learn and get your private license in one make/model plane with consistent avionics, then after that, it’s not going to make that much of a difference if you switch. You’ll pick up on the different plane quickly (1-2 hrs?) and then just try to stick with that for your next rating or cert.

I agree. After one acquires their PPC then flying different planes enhances your skills and experiences.

Depends on the person. I used 3 planes (152, 172, PA28), 3 CFIs and I still hit private check ride in minimum time. 3 different instrument instructors, 3 different aircraft, 2 different flight schools, instrument check ride under 110TT. 40.2 instrument time, 50 XC PIC. You'll find others that did it similar to me, and find others that don't do so well switching, and others that don't do so well even staying with one aircraft and one instructor.

Finding the right CFI is the most important, as others have said. I'd stick with the same aircraft type too, but perhaps get a few hours in other available planes to both learn the differences and also reduce bad habits gained by exploiting forgiving points of what you are training on.

Back