Salsa on a hot dog

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Ok I am going to say that like ketchup, salsa does not belong on a hot dog.

http://www.nwherald.com/2013/10/17/as-u-s-demographics-change-so-does-the-menu/akly5s/

Salsa overtaking ketchup as America’s No. 1 condiment was just the start.

These days, tortillas outsell burger and hot dog buns; sales of tortilla chips trump potato chips; and tacos and burritos have become so ubiquitously “American,” most people don’t even consider them ethnic.

Welcome to the taste of American food in 2013.

Hot dog with salsa might as well chase it with tequila.

Take hot dog, put on tortilla, slather in nacho cheese and salsa. Wrap tortilla.

"Nick's Taco"

Its really damned good. You can also add green chile.

You can also slice the hot dog first too.

Salsa on a hot dog on a bun sounds no bueno. Nick's idea, otoh, sounds mas bueno, although I'd choose jalapeños over green chiles, being firmly in the camp of those who believe that, anything worth eating can be improved through the liberal application of jalapeños.

Mexicans put salsa on everything, salads, sandwiches, tacos, hot dogs, ice cream, you name it. I had a salad from a Mexican restaurant the other day, it came with salsa.

-John

Salsa is just a variation on a theme to Relish. Different ingredients, same principle.
Machs Nichts (but make sure it includes green chili and jalapeno minces)

Salsa is just a variation on a theme to Relish. Different ingredients, same principle.
Machs Nichts (but make sure it includes green chili and jalapeno minces)

Good point. Nobody would bat an eyelash if one were to put salsa over a choizo in a bun.

Salsa on a hot dog on a bun sounds no bueno. Nick's idea, otoh, sounds mas bueno, although I'd choose jalapeños over green chiles, being firmly in the camp of those who believe that, anything worth eating can be improved through the liberal application of jalapeños.
This right there. :yes:

I put salsa on veggie burgers all the time. The salsa of Steinholme would be good on hot dogs. Of course, the salsa of Steinholme would be good on near anything except dessert.

Ok being an interloper from the old country (UK) just what do you put on a hot dog ?
Chili, cheese, mustard and onions works very nicely :yes:

IMG_0596.jpg

Mexicans put salsa on everything, salads, sandwiches, tacos, hot dogs, ice cream, you name it. I had a salad from a Mexican restaurant the other day, it came with salsa.

I live in central Mexico and haven't actually witnessed salsa on a hot dog. Folks, at least in this state, seem to mostly copy US toppings, but with the addition of plenty of sliced jalepenos.

Salsa on ice cream sounds disgusting!

Salsa on salad is damn tasty.

I think I can pass on that one. I'd eat it if it were in front of me but I wouldn't seek it out.

I'm from Michigan, and never heard of a Michigan Dog.

Also, I find the taste of mustard as a condiment utterly disgusting, so that's a no go on anything.

Mustard and onions. Start there.

And you stop just prior to ketchup.

There are a lot of things that are great on hot dogs, chile, cheese, onion, mustard, coleslaw, sauerkraut.

But the most perfect, beautiful thing in the whole world is a pure beef dog on a poppyseed bun with yellow mustard, neon green relish, onion, pickle, tomato and celery salt. It is a work of art!

And you stop just prior to ketchup.

There are a lot of things that are great on hot dogs, chile, cheese, onion, mustard, coleslaw, sauerkraut.

But the most perfect, beautiful thing in the whole world is a pure beef dog on a poppyseed bun with yellow mustard, neon green relish, onion, pickle, tomato and celery salt. It is a work of art!

Sounds like a Chicago dog to me.

No one has mentioned sauerkraut. Sauerkraut and mustard is a wonderful dog.

Chicago dog is fantastic - provided you nix the onion and tomato.

Its the only hot dog I won't put ketchup on.

Sauerkraut and tomato on hotdogs are just wrong. In fact, I believe this may be classified as a terrorist action.

Why don't you just squirt the mustard directly into your mouth and bypass the hotdog entirely?

Why don't you just squirt the mustard directly into your mouth and bypass the hotdog entirely?

SQUIRT!

No way.

MikeA may be the Spoke Spork nerd, but I have a MUSTARD SPOON! I purchases a wonderful dedicated wooden mustard spoon at the Maillet store in Paris. The one near the opera BTW and around the corner from that great hotel you recomended! I use it to consume not only my Maillet mustard, whose seeds mostly come from Canada and Wisconsin but also my Fallot mustard d'Bourgogne which is made with the seeds grown in the Burgundy region.

BTW for mustard afficiendos Fallot is really, REALLY a great dijon mustard.

http://www.fallot.com/en/index.php

I have visited the factory in Beaune and even made some mustard of my own from scratch there. A cool tour and when I was there I ran into a whole gaggle of Indian people who were visiting from their agricultural ministry and are planning on starting a mustard industry in their country.

When it comes to mustard I not only talk the talk, I walk the walk!

MUSTARD RULES, Ketchup drools!!!

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Not a fan of hot dogs. Frankly, I think they kind of suck. That's why God invented Bratwurst.

But if I were to acquire a hot dog, why the hell can't I put whatever I want on it, like ketchup? It needs something to drown out the grossness.

Last edited:

(Shudder!)

Not a fan of hot dogs. Frankly, I think they kind of suck. That's why God invented Bratwurst.

But if I did were to acquire a hot dog, why the hell can't I put whatever I want on it, like ketchup? It needs something to drown out the gossness.

If you find hot dogs to be "gross," you just aren't eating the right hot dogs. And, there are plenty of really bad ones.

But if I were to acquire a hot dog, why the hell can't I put whatever I want on it, like ketchup? It needs something to drown out the grossness.

I'm not a big fan of them either. I mean I won't go so far as to say they're gross - I'll eat them, just not my first choice. I'll take a brat over a hotdog any day of the week.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get either one of them.

I think I'm headed to Sonic for a dog. Anyone cares to join, you probably already have my number. :)

Feed a cold, starve a fever... No clue what you do for bronchitis. I'll feed it a chili dog and see how it goes. :)

Back