Sales/Use Tax Question

Yogi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Yogi
If a $100k aircraft is purchased from a private individual in CA (which has fly-away exemption for sales tax) and stored in AZ (which has use tax exemption for a tangible personal property purchased through casual sale), is there any tax liability to the buyer?

You said "stored in AZ." Do you mean the buyer is an AZ resident (or AZ domiciled entity) not involved in the routine purchase/sale of aircraft, or is AZ only the place of storage?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The buyer (me) lives in AZ and will keep the aircraft in a hanger in AZ. Not sure if it makes any difference, but the aircraft will only be used for pleasure and not for business. If I understand the tax code correctly, I don't have to pay any sales tax or use tax if I buy an aircraft from a private individual in a state which has no sales tax or fly-away exemption, since I live in AZ which has use tax exemption for casual sales. Just want to make sure if that's correct. Thanks!

Make sure you fill out all the paperwork with your AZ address and you're just responsible for AZ tax or lack thereof.

If this is a private seller he should just fill out his part of a 8050-1&2, don't recall anywhere it even asks where you completed the purchase.

I'd also refrain from entering your tail number in fuel machines and what not, it's not uncommon for greedy and desperate government types to mine that data and send threatening letters to try to generate some money for themselves.

Last edited:
Phoenix. I assume the use tax exemption mentioned in AZ Pub610 applies regardless of where in AZ I live?

It might be a good idea to contact a local accountant to see what you're looking at AZ tax wise.

What kind of aircraft are you looking to purchase?

A piston single is all I can afford :)

Just spoke with a tax consultant and it did not sound promising on avoiding the sales tax. My understanding is if you buy from an individual you may be able to avoid the 7% tax. If you buy from a broker, you have to pay the 7%.

Back