dell30rb
Final Approach
I recently negotiated the sale of my boat to a guy. There were two stipulations - one that I would paint the bottom and two, that I would have a small tear in a sail fixed ($150 or so) This was after he came and looked at the boat, and went out for a sail on it (with me).
Also part of the deal is that I would deliver the boat 200 miles to its destination.
He gave me a $1000 deposit with the rest to be paid upon delivery, and completion of the above items.
The starter solenoid mysteriously quit working for about 20 minutes on the delivery trip ($50, I will be paying) and I forgot to have the sail fixed. I was up front about the sail and offered to pay for what ever it costs to fix it. I neglected to mention the starter solenoid failed (as it was an intermittent problem and I never really got to diagnose) and of course, it quit working when he tried to start the boat this morning.
The final, and probably largest issue with this transaction is that I told him I would do a bottom job on it before I delivered it and I specified two coats of paint. I dropped the boat off at the marina late and they did not have time to do two coats, only one coat of paint. They haven't sent me the bill yet but they did tell me they only put one coat on it when I picked it up. I neglected to mention this to the new buyer. He called the marina and asked about the boat, they told him it only had one coat put on it. He's pretty steamed about this, and I understand.
We have not finalized the deal yet because of these issues. He asked to wait until I correct everything to sign the boat over, and I accepted.
Now he is pretty upset with me over the coat of paint, the sail (however I was up front about it) and the starter solenoid. Mostly he is worried there are other things wrong with the boat that I am not being up front about. There are not, but I understand this concern.
In my defense the boat is a 1967 30' Pearson sailboat (and motor) which he is buying for $3500. He looked over it for 3 hours and we went out and sailed it for an hour less than a month ago. I delivered it over 200 miles in the last 3 days and it ran well except for the cranky starter solenoid one morning.
Now, I feel pretty awful about this (esp the bottom paint issue) and I need to make things right. I am certainly willing to fix the starter, get the sail fixed, and pay him for the cost difference in the bottom paint. And wait until these are corrected before he pays me a dime. My question is, should I go any farther? I am thinking of just deducting the $800 bottom job from the amount he owes me for the boat. I don't see it as a big deal (I haul the boat every year, one coat does fine for 8 months in the water) but I did neglect to mention this to him, and I feel like a complete ass for doing so.
Also part of the deal is that I would deliver the boat 200 miles to its destination.
He gave me a $1000 deposit with the rest to be paid upon delivery, and completion of the above items.
The starter solenoid mysteriously quit working for about 20 minutes on the delivery trip ($50, I will be paying) and I forgot to have the sail fixed. I was up front about the sail and offered to pay for what ever it costs to fix it. I neglected to mention the starter solenoid failed (as it was an intermittent problem and I never really got to diagnose) and of course, it quit working when he tried to start the boat this morning.
The final, and probably largest issue with this transaction is that I told him I would do a bottom job on it before I delivered it and I specified two coats of paint. I dropped the boat off at the marina late and they did not have time to do two coats, only one coat of paint. They haven't sent me the bill yet but they did tell me they only put one coat on it when I picked it up. I neglected to mention this to the new buyer. He called the marina and asked about the boat, they told him it only had one coat put on it. He's pretty steamed about this, and I understand.
We have not finalized the deal yet because of these issues. He asked to wait until I correct everything to sign the boat over, and I accepted.
Now he is pretty upset with me over the coat of paint, the sail (however I was up front about it) and the starter solenoid. Mostly he is worried there are other things wrong with the boat that I am not being up front about. There are not, but I understand this concern.
In my defense the boat is a 1967 30' Pearson sailboat (and motor) which he is buying for $3500. He looked over it for 3 hours and we went out and sailed it for an hour less than a month ago. I delivered it over 200 miles in the last 3 days and it ran well except for the cranky starter solenoid one morning.
Now, I feel pretty awful about this (esp the bottom paint issue) and I need to make things right. I am certainly willing to fix the starter, get the sail fixed, and pay him for the cost difference in the bottom paint. And wait until these are corrected before he pays me a dime. My question is, should I go any farther? I am thinking of just deducting the $800 bottom job from the amount he owes me for the boat. I don't see it as a big deal (I haul the boat every year, one coat does fine for 8 months in the water) but I did neglect to mention this to him, and I feel like a complete ass for doing so.
Last edited:

