Saint Petersburg- what to do?

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Looks like I get to go to a confenrence in St. Petersburg (actually, St. Pete's Beach)- I may have a day on either side of the conference to myself depending on the airline schedule.

What's interesting down there? This is my first visit to the FL gulf coast...

Thanks in advance.

Well, there's [thread=28651]Fantasy of Flight[/thread], Kermit Weeks' museum! You'll need a car, but you can easily spend a half day there.

And, um, beaches? :)

Grant is right, Kermit's place is really cool. FoF is about an 1 hour east of Tampa right off of I-4 near Polk City, just the other side of Lakeland. One the way back you stop at the Lakeland airport and see the EAA museum there.

In Tampa these guys are really cool, http://www.bigcatrescue.org/. It is not too far from Tampa Airport. Also I like going out for a day of canoeing with these guys http://www.canoeescape.com/

There is also the Lowry Park zoo and watching the anti-Scientology protesters in Clearwater.

Ringling Museum down in Sarasota, the Mote aquarium off the South End of Longboat Key. Both are about 20-30 minutes South over the Sunshine Bridge.

Ringling Museum down in Sarasota, the Mote aquarium off the South End of Longboat Key. Both are about 20-30 minutes South over the Sunshine Bridge.
Just so you know the Ringling Musuem that Ray mentions is NOT a circus museum. It is a very nice art museum. The Ringling mansion is also a very nice visit. Mote is over in that area as well. You could also visit Myaka state park which is pretty cool if you decide to go south of the bay.

albert whithead airport is neat..across the street the DEA has a parking lot full of recovered submarines built and used by the drug cartels...kinda interesting...
Good breakfast place called SkywayJacks by the beach

albert whithead airport is neat..across the street the DEA has a parking lot full of recovered submarines built and used by the drug cartels...kinda interesting...
Good breakfast place called SkywayJacks by the beach

That's a great airport. The locals recently (in the last few years) saved it from closure, and that makes landing there especially sweet.

Just don't freak out when you see sailboats off the end of the runway! :yesnod: When we were there, they also had grandstands set up for a road race that utilizes one of the runways for a straightaway -- very cool.

Thanks for the suggestions! For some reason, I thought FoF was southeast of Orlando, rather than where it really is.

Jay- Boston also has sailing vessels off the end of the runway...so I probably wouldn't freak much :)
4101374677_0d24e490a4.jpg

I was going to suggest the Hermitage, but then I realized you were not talking about the city temporarily known as Leningrad.

Looks like I get to go to a confenrence in St. Petersburg (actually, St. Pete's Beach)- I may have a day on either side of the conference to myself depending on the airline schedule.

What's interesting down there? This is my first visit to the FL gulf coast...

Thanks in advance.

West Coast... Blue Plate special at 3:30, in bed by 5:00.... Best to grab a flight to Miami and hang at Nikki Beach at the south end of South Beach.

Jack Brown's Seaplane Base, Winter Haven, FL.

Sharkey's on the Pier, just down from KVNC, or the two restaurants on the field.

Go see the Lenin Statue or Palace Square? Oh, wait, you mean Florida, not Russia. Never mind.... :aureola:

Back