Saint Barths from San Juan PR Flights

Worldwide trade

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WorldWiseTrade
So I see that there are flights in a PC-12 from San Juan with N Registration. Wondering how they comply with over-water regulations in a single engine turboprop?

Anybody know?

So I see that there are flights in a PC-12 from San Juan with N Registration. Wondering how they comply with over-water regulations in a single engine turboprop?

Anybody know?
They stay within glide distance of land, it's not really that far between islands down the chain from SJU to St Barts.

Not sure what map you are looking at but from St. Thomas to TFFJ it is about 124nm and no land in between. That would be a very long glide! :oops:

Not sure what map you are looking at but from St. Thomas to TFFJ it is about 124nm and no land in between. That would be a very long glide! :oops:
At 25,000 ft, the charts say a PC-12 will glide 62 miles, so it’s at the limit, but you could claim that it’s legal.

I just looked at the chart. There actually is land “in between”. Not directly under you, but even at the midway point, you are no more than 44 miles from land. Well within glide distance at cruise altitudes.

Last edited:
They do. They (tradewinds, aka goodspeed) often tell us they can’t comply with lower crossing restrictions due to glide range. But TISX to TNCS is 91 nm so it’s doable. They usually go VFR at 16.5/17.5.

Overall it is a very safe operation. They are one of the better operators here in PR

Back