Safety

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I haven't done it for a while, need a reminder of what should happen.
I am outside; terrain, traffic, weather, airspace (and loss of control of course).
The bigger picture of the entire flight; as in S.A.
Anything else?
I think we should brief what is going to happen beforehand.
Tks

I think I shortchanged the title in my rush. I am going to be safety pilot for someone Sat.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I think I shortchanged the title in my rush. I am going to be safety pilot for someone Sat.
You must type extraordinarily, painfully slow. I mean, how much time does it take to tap out a few sentences?:p

Something you didn't mention is who is PIC and in what situation/flight condition. Also, will you be expected to help in cockpit duties? When and how often? Especially ATC communications.

Dave, you know what he needs for good practice... keep it safe, and offer lots of challenges, distractions, mock APP Control, etc.

Toughest part: trying to "vector" realistically

SCCutler said:
Dave, you know what he needs for good practice... keep it safe, and offer lots of challenges, distractions, mock APP Control, etc.

Toughest part: trying to "vector" realistically

And of course, don't ever forget your primary responsiblity (traffic watch). It's easy to get wrapped up in what the hooded pilot is doing, providing vectors, analyzing mistakes, and just chatting but you need to spend most of your mental energy looking for other planes because you're the only one doing it. For some reason SP's seem to fall into the trap of subconsciously expecting the PIC/PF to be dealing with traffic because that's the norm for non-CFI's riding in the right seat.

lancefisher said:
And of course, don't ever forget your primary responsiblity (traffic watch). It's easy to get wrapped up in what the hooded pilot is doing, providing vectors, analyzing mistakes, and just chatting but you need to spend most of your mental energy looking for other planes because you're the only one doing it. For some reason SP's seem to fall into the trap of subconsciously expecting the PIC/PF to be dealing with traffic because that's the norm for non-CFI's riding in the right seat.

Absolutely, Lance- that's the "keep it safe" part.

But you may not realize just how light traffic is in Dave's area...

..actually, upon further thought, I guess that thiking that way could create severely diminished attention to traffic.

I think that along with the PIC issues, you've got it covered. Just make sure the two of you sit down together and brief the entire flight (what you plan to do, who's doing what, and contingencies) before you get in the plane.

SCCutler said:

we could have nobody for hours... or we could have a gaggle of gliders and Kingair after Gulfstream after CJ, there is no telling sometimes especially weekends. But for the most part no traffic jams. I only remember holding one time here... and one go around during a gathering of sorts.

It seems we are doing holds, holding entries tomorrow.

I guess I forgot what a great time it can be! I did not touch the controls, and just sat over there in the right seat for 90 minutes, but still had fun. I wonder if instructing is this cool?
Anyway, instead of the previously planned hop in and go, we sat at a table for 30 minutes and discussed what his weak areas were, what he wanted to cover, what each of us expected, some legalities, transfer of controls etc. He has ~10hrs and his CFii is my old one so it worked well with me reinforcing what our instructor had taught. I did some vectoring to warm him up (with me clearing each way beforehand) and then some vor intercept and tracking. Then into a published hold. Winds aloft were a brisk 40 kts across the legs so the crab angle was pretty wild. I tried my best to hold back on comments etc because I believe that if we are not really far astray, a student learns more from 'doing'. And I think the exercises proved this out.
More vectoring and a hold which I dreamed up on the fly involving a non-direct entry. Found a couple weak spots here.... drawing simple diagrams while airborne (we debriefed this later).... then, when cleared direct - need to dial it in and make it happen, not chase a pegged needle!
Then I talked him through an approach, because the procedures had not been burned in yet. He enjoyed that I think, and it helped him realize what lay ahead. I did take a moment to emphasize that mda is an inviolable floor, I don't think its ever too early for that.
I commended his smooth handling of the airplane (I hate abrupt maneuvers) and coolness (I think we need to avoid emotional responses on the yoke), and
during the debrief we also covered the Thinking Ahead Game.
Then I debriefed with his instructor by phone!

SCCutler said:
Absolutely, Lance- that's the "keep it safe" part.

..actually, upon further thought, I guess that thiking that way could create severely diminished attention to traffic.
It only takes one.

Maybe someone can burst my bubble and check Snopes but have you heard the story about when cars first came out and the only two cars in Kansas ran into each other?

Back