Safety Reminder ( Bird Nests)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Not so much a lesson learned but a safety reminder. I was going to post this yesterday and then Lee made a similar announcment at our CAP meeting last night.

Remember ITS BIRD NESTING SEASON. Those little buggers can get a heck of a lot of grass and hay under your cowl in the time it takes for you to get a briefing. Plug them cowls and still check. Lee found stuff on the battery of the 172 and the Cowls were plugged.

Not so much a lesson learned but a safety reminder. I was going to post this yesterday and then Lee made a similar announcment at our CAP meeting last night.

Remember ITS BIRD NESTING SEASON. Those little buggers can get a heck of a lot of grass and hay under your cowl in the time it takes for you to get a briefing. Plug them cowls and still check. Lee found stuff on the battery of the 172 and the Cowls were plugged.

We have at least two nests that have been started in the last week in our hangar over at LNS. Fortunately the plane is flying a lot right now, so we are keeping the nesting disturbed. They LOVE the tail cone of a PA32, lots of room to build in there... so we are watching closely. So far, they are building on the wall is all.

Jim G

Ever since I moved into a hangar with a roof instead of rafters I have not had bird problems. My nextdoor neighbor's hangar still has rafters. What he did was to string some tarps under the rafters and the birds started to go elsewhere.

It's not just cowl and tail cone. They got inside our wing last year, and I think they're doing again this year. Plane is going into annual Friday....we'll find out then.

Attachments

• Nest 050307DSC02016_4.JPG
    Nest 050307DSC02016_4.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 340
good point kaye, we've got a 172 that has shown some nest material in the horizontal stabilizer.

the birds got in our stabilizer between the horizontal stab and the elevator.

i would bet they got into Kayes wings due to the retractable landing gear?

This last winter I took twenty inches of fabric off the wing tip of a super cub to replace a rib. Right there in the tip was a bunch of bird do do. There wasn't any nesting material, but there was plenty of evidence that they were there. It looked to me like the droppings were rotting the fabric from the inside too, as there were plenty of them. Luckily most of them were in the very tip that I ended up removing.

On the same note, I've found nests in the tail cones of lots of Cessnas during annual inspections.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back