safety pilot question

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
My questions is:
Does the Safety Pilot need to be current in the plane being flown? Is there an FAR or AIM reference?

Thanks
Lynn

I think you simply need to be a private pilot with a current medical to be a safety pilot. I have a friend that safety pilots for me, but he doesn't have a complex endorsement so he can't log PIC time.

I believe you only need to be current in the aircraft to also log it as PIC time.

The answer is "no," and the reference is 14 CFR 91.109(c). As noted above, the safety pilot not acting as PIC need only be a Private Pilot or higher, with applicable category and class ratings, and a medical certificate currently valid at the Third Class level (additional reference on the medical is 14 CFR 61.23(a)(3)(i)). The currency requirements of 61.56 and 61.57 apply only to the PIC, as is clearly stated in those sections.

The answer is "no," and the reference is 14 CFR 91.109(c). As noted above, the safety pilot not acting as PIC need only be a Private Pilot or higher, with applicable category and class ratings, and a medical certificate currently valid at the Third Class level (additional reference on the medical is 14 CFR 61.23(a)(3)(i)). The currency requirements of 61.56 and 61.57 apply only to the PIC, as is clearly stated in those sections.

Does the safety pilot have to be current to log PIC as a safety pilot during the time the hooded pilot is hooded?

Does the safety pilot have to be current to log PIC as a safety pilot during the time the hooded pilot is hooded?
In order to log PIC time while acting as safety pilot, the safety pilot must be the PIC (see 14 CFR 61.51(e)(iii)). That means meeting all applicable PIC requirements, including (but not limited to) flight review (61.56), instrument currency (61.57), additional training endorsements (61.31), and landing currency (61.57).

The SP only needs a medical to act as a required crewmember.

Doesn't need anything else, including FR.

That is true, AS LONG AS the safety pilot is not acting as PIC. The only way a safety pilot can log PIC is if that pilot IS PIC, with all that is involved in that.

The safety pilot needs a Private or higher with applicable category and class ratings, as well as a medical valid at the Third Class level. But that is all -- to act as safety pilot only. If also acting as required SIC or PIC, there are additional requirements.

In order to log PIC time while acting as safety pilot, the safety pilot must be the PIC (see 14 CFR 61.51(e)(iii)). That means meeting all applicable PIC requirements, including (but not limited to) flight review (61.56), instrument currency (61.57), additional training endorsements (61.31), and landing currency (61.57).

See, that makes so much sense. Can you legally ACT as pilot in command? Great, you can be PIC while I'm hooded.

See, that makes so much sense. Can you legally ACT as pilot in command? Great, you can be PIC while I'm hooded.

And to go "Ron Levy" on you, make sure it is cool with the insurance company and/or renter's agreement.

All kinds of not so silly "gotcha's" with this. :yes:;)

Back