Safety pilot question

Gary F

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Gary F
Does the safety pilot for instrument practice need a BFR? I have a friend who just received his special issuance medical certificate but has not been able to schedule a BFR. I would like to get IFR current but the local instructor has been too tied up with his real job.

The 61.56 requirement for a flight review applies only to the PIC. If the safety pilot is not acting as PIC, then the safety pilot does not need a current flight review.
Sec. 61.56

Flight review.

(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has--
(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor; and
(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.

Does the safety pilot for instrument practice need a BFR? I have a friend who just received his special issuance medical certificate but has not been able to schedule a BFR. I would like to get IFR current but the local instructor has been too tied up with his real job.

ILS Rwy1 six times? :D

ILS Rwy1 six times? :D
We now have a GPS approach for 19 with 200ft LPV minimum. So 1-19-1-19-1-19 or maybe 19-1-19-1-19-1

If I do the hold for a course reversal for the GPS 19 approach can I count it as the hold for instrument currency or do I need to fly an additional complete circuit to count the hold?

Last edited:
If you fly a teardrop at ZUCTI I am 99% sure that will suffice.

If I do the hold for a course reversal for the GPS 19 approach can I count it as the hold for instrument currency or do I need to fly an additional complete circuit to count the hold?
If the course reversal is a regular procedure turn, no, but if it's holding pattern in lieu of procedure turn, well...the FAA never said specifically that just the entry maneuver was enough to cover the 61.57(c)(1)(ii) requirement for "Holding procedures and tasks," but they didn't say it wasn't, either. The AIM 5-4-9a5 says, "The holding pattern maneuver is completed when the aircraft is established on the inbound course after executing the appropriate entry," and I've always taken that to mean that it fills the square. However, to be 100% certain, you'd have to write to the Chief Counsel and wait four months for an answer, but I think this is one of those questions best left unasked. So, I suggest that if you do the HPILPT (even if just the reversal part), you log the approach, note "holding" in the Remarks block, and move on.

If the course reversal is a regular procedure turn, no, but if it's holding pattern in lieu of procedure turn, well...the FAA never said specifically that just the entry maneuver was enough to cover the 61.57(c)(1)(ii) requirement for "Holding procedures and tasks," but they didn't say it wasn't, either. The AIM 5-4-9a5 says, "The holding pattern maneuver is completed when the aircraft is established on the inbound course after executing the appropriate entry," and I've always taken that to mean that it fills the square. However, to be 100% certain, you'd have to write to the Chief Counsel and wait four months for an answer, but I think this is one of those questions best left unasked. So, I suggest that if you do the HPILPT (even if just the reversal part), you log the approach, note "holding" in the Remarks block, and move on.
I practice my holds and approaches by hand flying but would it be legal for IFR currency if I let the A/P fly the hold and approach?

I practice my holds and approaches by hand flying but would it be legal for IFR currency if I let the A/P fly the hold and approach?
The FAA has not yet made hand-flying of instrument currency events a regulatory requirement, although IIRC, one version of 61.57 in the last big Part 61 rewrite evolution did have some autopilot requirements (thankfully deleted before the Final Rule). However, I think we all realize that for folks with autopilots, proficiency in both hand-flown and autopilot-driven instrument procedures is essential for safety, and one hopes we'll see to it that we don't give the FAA cause to make the reg more burdensome.

Back