Safety Pilot needed, San Diego

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
I've got about 2 weeks left before my IR Check ride and still need to burn a few hours worth of fuel under the hood. Anyone available for a ride along? I can make any day or time work, and can pick you up at any of the area airports if you don't wanna come to CRQ.

Thanks!

Hey,

If you want a VFR-only safety pilot, I would be up for some flying. Unfortunately, my schedule in the next two weeks is pretty full. The only time I think I'm available is Saturday mid-day.

Thanks Timmer, I'll let you know. Weekends seem to be the easy time to find people and I already have a couple who are maybes for this weekend, but some backup wouldn't hurt. Seems week days are the hard ones for most (no surprise there), and the marine layer has been making it hard to fly after normal work hours lately.

Yeah, may has been terrible this year. I've cancelled six flight in the past four weeks. Good incentive for an IR, though!

Of course this Monday was absolutely beautiful. Weather has a sense of humor.

Yeah no kidding. I'll tell you why it was so beautiful, because my CFI was in town and available. He also flies for one of the airlines and I swear when he's here teaching the weather is clear, and as soon as he leaves it's full IMC. So many days I could have been logging actual when he wasn't available.

IMC is a PITA at a satellite airport, even with an instructor.

"Hold for IFR release estimate one five minute delay" means you put 1/4 hour on the Hobbs just sitting there quintuple checking the radio and navigation settings.

I'm surprised more private pilots don't do the safety pilot thing. It really is a lot of fun, especially on a nice day. You get to look at the scenery (and learn a ton -- it's shocking sometimes just how close to terrain and obstructions you might get, especially at the low end of an ILS).

Sandy Eggo is a little far or I'd help you out. Unless you want to fly up here… :D ... the flying weather is fabulous today.

I've never had to wait that long for release around here, usually we call Palomar C/D and have a clearance within a minute, and release within a minute or 2 at the hold lines. I also own the plane so I'm not worried too much about hobbs time. Hell, I'm trying to build time so it actually helps me in some ways.

First post for me, and I figured it was fitting that it be in a reply to you since I've found your posts and links particularly informative. That having been said, I'm of no use to you because I'm still just putzing around deciding when to schedule my checkride. If you get delayed and I get things going, sign me up for some safety pilot time. If you finish your instrument rating first, I'll bug you to go flying sometime when you're just going up and don't mind company.

First post for me, and I figured it was fitting that it be in a reply to you since I've found your posts and links particularly informative. That having been said, I'm of no use to you because I'm still just putzing around deciding when to schedule my checkride. If you get delayed and I get things going, sign me up for some safety pilot time. If you finish your instrument rating first, I'll bug you to go flying sometime when you're just going up and don't mind company.

That might be a challenge. It can be hard to find pilots who want to take others flying with them :rofl:

LOL yeah, sure Timmer.

thebruce, where do you fly out of? There are a lot of us on here that fly out of the various san diego airports. Might be time to do another get together.

I fly out of KCRQ. Pacific Coast Flyers. I live two minutes from the airport, so you'd think I'd have knocked the PPL out in no time, but life has been getting in the way for years....

I fly out of KCRQ. Pacific Coast Flyers. I live two minutes from the airport, so you'd think I'd have knocked the PPL out in no time, but life has been getting in the way for years....

It is amazing how long it can take to get 40-60 hours of flight time in.

That's convenient. You've probably walked right past my plane then. It's on the ramp just past all the countrywide 172s, near that old Lear jet. Hopefully we'll meet up sometime soon.

Back