Safety pilot needed for X-Country in Orlando

mcoflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mcoflyer
I need to go up and get a few more hours of X-Country and hood time. I have access to a C172 for about $100 per hour, so we can split the cost. Since i'll be under the hood and doing the actual flying while you're just going to be the safety pilot...we can split the time 60/40. I'll pay $60 and you pay $40.

Any takers?

I can also fly anywhere in a 60-70 mile radius to pick you up. For example the Tampa, Daytona, and Melbourne areas.

I thought it should be more like you pick up the tab for the aircraft and maybe lunch. Good luck

So you want someone to pay while u do all the flying and it only benefits you..Interesting. want to pay my cell phone bill and ill just use the phone.

may want to read the regs about pro rata share. Something about same purpose for going there. I guess if you can find someone that happens to want to go to someplace 70 nm away then it's a bonus. Good luck.

Like Ron Keating said. You are kidding, right MCO?

Safety pilots do not automatically act as PIC, but if they do (and that means they must be fully qualified to be PIC), they can log PIC time. Of course, that makes them, not you, the PIC, and puts them entirely in charge of the flight, which may or may not be acceptable to the aircraft provider.

In any event, generally speaking, safety pilots do not pay for the privilege of providing this service to you. More typically, the pilots involved swap hood time and each pays for the time each is flying the plane. Normally, if the second pilot only acts as safety pilot, the safety pilot pays nothing, and they FAA is happy with safety pilots logging that time without paying for it. But if you find someone willing to agree to your proposal, mighty fine.

You're a safety pilot and since i'm under the hood you still get to log the time as PIC time. So yes, shared expenses.
Unless I am flying the plane, PIC time(whether or not I can log it) is pretty much worthless. You are pretty much getting 100% of the benefit(ie hood time) and trying to have someone pay 40% of the cost. Now if you want to split the hood time 50/50 with someone you may find it easier to find someone to help you out. Then again, I did all my IFR training time with my instructor, as I felt she was going to be the best person to correct my mistakes, and help me learn from them.

may want to read the regs about pro rata share. Something about same purpose for going there. I guess if you can find someone that happens to want to go to someplace 70 nm away then it's a bonus. Good luck.

This is a common setup. Nobody's flying the other for compensation, both are required crewmembers and can log flight time (PIC or SIC).

Whether or not the safety pilot pitches in towards the rental often has a lot to do with how bad that pilot wants to log flight time. An experienced and current pilot probably isn't going to pay $40/hr to act as someone else's safety pilot. Someone ready for a commercial checkride but lacking the hours required to take it might jump at the chance to log time at $40/hr.

I'm at a point that flight time does help me, but nobody I've safety piloted for has asked me to pitch in for the flight. Like Ron said, I just return the favor later if I want some hood time. In my opinion, whether or not the safety pilot should pitch in is a problem for the free market to handle, let it work.

Last edited:
I have friends who have an ATP. If I wanted to have a safety pilot and pay for 100% of the cost and pay their lunch...i'd get one of them to do it. This post is for 1 specific X-country...about 5 hours total. I thought maybe someone needed a couple of hours.

If you don't think $40 per hour to be a safety pilot and log some PIC time (meeting FAA req's was implied...plus it's on a 172) then don't do it. There's no need for the smart remarks.

Btw: It only took 2 hours for my post to be up to find someone who is willing to do this. So obviously it works for someone...

I have friends who have an ATP. If I wanted to have a safety pilot and pay for 100% of the cost and pay their lunch...i'd get one of them to do it. This post is for 1 specific X-country...about 5 hours total. I thought maybe someone needed a couple of hours.

If you don't think $40 per hour to be a safety pilot and log some PIC time (meeting FAA req's was implied...plus it's on a 172) then don't do it. There's no need for the smart remarks.

Btw: It only took 2 hours for my post to be up to find someone who is willing to do this. So obviously it works for someone...
Cool! It never hurts to ask. As my boss used to say GFY(good for you).

If that person is going to act as PIC (which is necessary in order to log PIC time in this situation), s/he's probably going to have to pay for a checkout with the FBO from whom you're renting the plane. Make sure both your safety pilot and the aircraft owner are OK with that. Otherwise, you will be PIC and your safety pilot will only be able to log SIC time.

Any time I've had or been a safety pilot, we've agreed on the ground that the person with their eyes outside is the PIC, is expected to stay situationally aware and is responsible for the violations (airspace, cloud clearance, minimum attitudes), makes the traffic calls, and if he says "my controls" there is no hesitation or debate from the pilot under the hood. The pilot who is renting is acting PIC when not under the hood and makes the takeoffs and landings.

Ron, do you think that having or not having a checkout would influence any judgements the FAA might seek against a pilot if they thought the flight time was incorrectly logged or falsified?

I've only flown with people from the same school (has the checkouts) but whether or not my safety pilot is checked out is probably not something I'd have ever thought about. (Although I'm sure the insurance company would like to know, if they receive a claim.)

Any time I've had or been a safety pilot, we've agreed on the ground that the person with their eyes outside is the PIC, is expected to stay situationally aware and is responsible for the violations (airspace, cloud clearance, minimum attitudes), makes the traffic calls, and if he says "my controls" there is no hesitation or debate from the pilot under the hood. The pilot who is renting is acting PIC when not under the hood and makes the takeoffs and landings.

Ron, do you think that having or not having a checkout would influence any judgements the FAA might seek against a pilot if they thought the flight time was incorrectly logged or falsified?

I've only flown with people from the same school (has the checkouts) but whether or not my safety pilot is checked out is probably not something I'd have ever thought about. (Although I'm sure the insurance company would like to know, if they receive a claim.)

Checkouts have no bearing on the FAA. You are either rated and current or not.

Checkouts have no bearing on the FAA. You are either rated and current or not.

So, to reiterate, you allowed the pilot to put on view obstructing goggles and fly the plane while you took responsibility for the aircraft? I rest my case.

This is a common setup. Nobody's flying the other for compensation, both are required crewmembers and can log flight time (PIC or SIC).

Whether or not the safety pilot pitches in towards the rental often has a lot to do with how bad that pilot wants to log flight time. An experienced and current pilot probably isn't going to pay $40/hr to act as someone else's safety pilot. Someone ready for a commercial checkride but lacking the hours required to take it might jump at the chance to log time at $40/hr.

I'm at a point that flight time does help me, but nobody I've safety piloted for has asked me to pitch in for the flight. Like Ron said, I just return the favor later if I want some hood time. In my opinion, whether or not the safety pilot should pitch in is a problem for the free market to handle, let it work.
There is no such thing as SIC in a single pilot aircraft.....

So, to reiterate, you allowed the pilot to put on view obstructing goggles and fly the plane while you took responsibility for the aircraft? I rest my case.

"You bet" It's immaterial, I'm not going to let you have a crash we aren't both going to die in.:D

Recent FAA rulings are in direct contradiction to the literal reading of the FAR. A safety pilot is NOT second in command.

There is no such thing as SIC in a single pilot aircraft.....
Define single pilot aircraft. Many aircraft that only require one pilot by their certification may actually need to be flown by more than one pilot UNDER THE RULES THE FLIGHT IS CONDUCTED (which is how the related regulations specifically read). Mostly this was written with Part 135/121 in mind, but older FAA rulings include simulated instrument flight as one of these. To muddle the answer, fairly recent rule making says one thing while an even more recent ruling says another.

The current best information is no matter what the FARs literally say, the safety pilot doesn't ever become second in command.

If you need to log time that desperately, go ahead and log the time the PF is under the hood as PIC. I've never paid to be someone's safety pilot, and I've never logged the time either that I can recall. I've also never asked someone to pay to be my safety pilot and I used to let instructors from the FBO come with me on parts runs so they could get some multi time.

Are you still looking for a safety? I just started my instrument and need to build a ton of time. I'd be up for 50/50 cost and hood time. I need about 40 x-country though.

I m looking for somebody with whom i can share the costs.

What are you trying to do? What do you have access to (airplane)?

I'm based out of KORL and belong to Orlando Club Flying.

John

I'm out of KSFB with regular rentals. I'm also up for sharing costs.

I m a time builder, cooking my CPL (80hrs needed), 172/162/Pa-28
Based in SRQ, i can drive somewhere for interesting long trips.

In SRQ we have 162 for 100 per hour(wet) 50/50. But its VFR only.
I prefer long IFR trips (5-6 hours two ways).

Last edited:
I live near MCO and will be happy to take you up on your offer.

I charge $500 per day plus expenses and your 40% fee would be an expense. PM me.

I m a time builder, cooking my CPL (80hrs needed), 172/162/Pa-28
Based in SRQ, i can drive somewhere for interesting long trips.

In SRQ we have 162 for 100 per hour(wet) 50/50. But its VFR only.
I prefer long IFR trips (5-6 hours two ways).

'cooking' your CPL? Please explain how THAT is done...

Take a couple eggs, put it into a airplane , fly apx 250 hours (you can add ME and IFR ) , and you will get Commercial Pilot))

Back