Safety pilot - KHFY

Boilermonkey

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boilermonkey
Wrapping up my instrument training and need a safety pilot. I need about 10hrs more of time under the hood. If any vfr or ifr pilot wants to get some PIC time as a safety pilot, let me know.

Welcome to the forum,like to help but to far away.

Wrapping up my instrument training and need a safety pilot. I need about 10hrs more of time under the hood. If any vfr or ifr pilot wants to get some PIC time as a safety pilot, let me know.

Not sure how it works but don't think the safety pilot logs PIC time. I could definetly be wrong though but I think only one gets to log the time.

Not sure how it works but don't think the safety pilot logs PIC time. I could definetly be wrong though but I think only one gets to log the time.

If the safety pilot agrees to be the acting PIC the pilot under the hood gets the sole manipulator of the controls and they both can log PIC. However, if something happens such as airspace violations, near mid-air collisions, all those now rest on the acting PIC.

Way to open up the can of worms. Now be ready for two pages of comments while this gets debated.:D

Last edited:
If the safety pilot agrees to be the acting PIC the pilot under the hood gets the sole manipulator of the controls and they both can log PIC. However, if something happens such as airspace violations, near mid-air collisions, all those now rest on the acting PIC.

Way to open up the can of worms. Now be ready for two pages of comments while this gets debated.:D

I think it's been pretty much settled on here that you are correct. I remember those threads :D

The PIC issue is interesting. Lots of posts on that and even an FAA clarification document is out there. That being said, most people that "need" hours are likely on a professional track and are CFI or CFII anyway. And that is exactly what I found when asking around. I found a CFI that wanted to fly, but since no instructions being given, I'm not sure what other cans of worms open up. I also found an ATP that wanted to go, that was a blast! Learned a ton and he got a bottle of wine (after we landed).

Yup, and if the safety pilot does not agree to be acting PIC then he can log it as SIC while the pilot is under the hood.

Back