Safety is no accident

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Risk is reduced when the event response is planned in advanced, right? Emergency training falls into that category. As does establishing personal minimums.

Most of what we term as emergency training falls under the realm of in flight. But what about airworthiness issues? And what if your decisions (personal minimums) upset someone? What consideration should you give it if that someone is your paying pax, your boss, or even your partner in ownership? It's easy to say what you will do, that you planned for it and when it happens you'll be ready. But when it's something sort of outside of the box in which you trained or there are others who are clamoring that you are making a bad decision it becomes more difficult to stick to your guns.

It shouldn't matter what position that someone holds, right? After all, you've exercised diligence in establishing your own minimums. The problem arises when we allow ourselves to be influenced by their position of importance or authority and thereby perhaps stray from our mins.

Obviously, I'm rambling. I'm still thinking this through so bear with me, it is an important subject.

For me, the latest example is the problem with the tailwheel. My very experienced A&P says it's okay, my very experienced partner says it's okay and I being the relatively new comer don't know the mx history as well as they so how is it that I should question them? Yet, something wasn't right. Even though I didn't yet know the true nature of the problem I decided not to fly this a/c until further checks were completed.

Some folks perceived that as me being a trouble maker and has branded me as being hardnosed and difficult.

It turns out the 'fix' was simply bending the arms back into position. This is the second time that has happened on the same arm assy. But even I know bending results in increased stress in the metal which will lead to fatigue, probably at the very worst time.

Having had countless telephone and e-mail conversations with folks all over the country the consensus is the 'fix' aint a fix and is quite succeptable to failure. Some have even suggested it be grounded until the correct repair be completed.

The other guy is a pilot used to others doing the ground checks making the plane ready for flight. He'll straight up tell you he's a pilot and doesn't work on planes. What does he know about mx?

My point is when establishing a line you just will not cross you need to consider not just in flight emergencies. Also, if your decisions upset folks you have to hold your ground. Further, you need to know where they are coming from. This is important because their level and type of experience is allowing them to judge your decision as sound or unsound. It may turn out they know not of what they speak.

In my case, I let my respect for the high level of experience and accomplishments of these folks interfere with my desire to stay on the right side of the line.

I just need to get this off my chest so I may carry on to the finish.

Last edited:
Back