Safety concerns flying in South Africa

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
I am looking to rent a plane at Cape Town Flying Club (http://www.capetownflyingclub.co.za/) when I visit in two weeks. Does anyone have any insight on the safety regulations in place in South Africa for light airplanes? Are there US equivalents of annual inspections, etc.? If so, are they enforced? Any insight about this particular operation in general?

My SO is very concerned and would rather me not fly. African countries do not have the most stellar safety record when it comes to aviation. Cape Town is surrounded by ocean and mountains. Violent crime is commonplace almost everywhere on land. Waters are infested by Great White Sharks. Ambulance services do not seem very reliable.

On the flip side, Cape Town is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Seeing it from the air would be a once in a lifetime experience. Also, this flight club is out of Cape Town International, and come recommended....

Is this a bad idea?

I've been there a few times myself. I'd say definitely go for it, it will probably be the safest part of your trip! Cape Town is one of the better areas. It's a great place to fly. The planes are very well maintained. Why don't you email them and ask them these questions? You will have a great time.

I've been there a few times myself. I'd say definitely go for it, it will probably be the safest part of your trip! Cape Town is one of the better areas. It's a great place to fly. The planes are very well maintained. Why don't you email them and ask them these questions? You will have a great time.

Thanks. I plan to do that. I just wanted to hear it from someone other than the place who is getting my money;)

I just wanted to hear it from someone other than the place who is getting my money;)
I did a brief flight when I was there 4-5 years ago. I just took an instructor in the right seat for the flight. It is pretty. IIRC there is a military field and some restricted airspace fairly close/north of town. Maybe abeam Robbin Island?

If I were to fly down there again, I would do it the same way -- with someone in the right seat who knows the local airspace and ATC. Although ATC is theoretically the same/ICAO worldwide, I have found that there are enough local phraseology variations (and accents) outside the US that communicating is more difficult than you might expect.

As far as safety I wouldn't worry at all.

What makes you confident about the safety of the planes?
Obviously I haven't done a survey of SA airplane safety. Reasons:

• SA is what I think of as a "second world" country. There are a lot worse places as far as civil infrastructure and institutions (i.e., ATC and aviation maintenance rules) go.
  • The guy you will fly with knows the airplane far better than you do, and he is not going to go flying if he feels he is in imminent danger.
  • You are not planning to go around the world or across the Atlantic. Statistically, the likelihood of a problem on such a short flight is small even if the airplanes' reliability is suspect.
  • You'll be flying mostly along a coastline. It won't necessarily be the greatest place to land, but we've all flown over a lot worse.
Re your concerns "Violent crime is commonplace almost everywhere on land. Waters are infested by Great White Sharks." I kind of smiled when I read them. This is a little like the Europeans who think that there are drug dealers with AR-15s shooting each other on every urban corner in the USA. Actually your biggest beach landing risk is a rocky beach. If you find a nice beach, the danger probably becomes hitting someone's barbeque. I guarantee that Great Whites will not come plunging through the surf to chase you down! :)

Back