SafeTaxi

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I have the Garmin 696 which has SafeTaxi installed. The thing is that when I've landed at large airports (i.e. BWI, PHL, etc.) I can see the taxiways, but none of them have the Black-Square location designations. If I activate the curser and put the curser on the taxiway it will give me the name...but there is never a picture of the taxiway name. Is this normal or is something wrong with my unit or how I have it set up?

Here's another thing. It seems that if an airport has a taxiway Hotel it IS shown, but none others...strange. :confused:

Kobra

I thought I'd give the answer to my own question.

Garmin did not understand this and never had this happen before. They asked me to reset the unit by holding down the CLR button while I turned the unit on. When it came on it asked if I wanted to delete all user input. I was instructed to select Yes. When the unit restarted all the taxiway designations returned. Go figure.

Kobra

I thought I'd give the answer to my own question.

Garmin did not understand this and never had this happen before. They asked me to reset the unit by holding down the CLR button while I turned the unit on. When it came on it asked if I wanted to delete all user input. I was instructed to select Yes. When the unit restarted all the taxiway designations returned. Go figure.

Kobra
Thanks for the update!

Interesting.. I recently flew a G1000 in a DA40 with SafeTaxi installed, and I cannot recall if the taxiway names were present or not. I think they were, neat how the airplane moved along the taxi way on the chart as we moved about.

I still remember how, even with the taxiways on the 496, it was still confusing on the ground at O'Hare at night! At one point we had exited 14L and were pausing on the taxiway (T9, IIRC) with a sign for taxiway B right in front of us. We were supposed to go right on B. Well, there's a service road between T and B that's about the width of the taxiways we're sued to! :) We're paused in front of it, trying to verify our position on the 496, and getting ready to call for verification, when ground calls us. I think my first words were something like "That isn't Bravo, is it?" We hadn't taxied onto it, so no problem. Ground asked if we could proceed down the service road, and we certainly could in a 172, so he cleared us to do that!

While I certainly knew about taxiway in-pavement lights, etc., when there are blue lights all over and you're stressed to begin with, it can get a tad confusing! You can see the intersection (perpendicular, short of the taxiway parallel to 28) here:http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=41.972318,-87.910452&spn=0.007267,0.012596&z=17

Back