Safe Password App for iPhone?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I'm losing control of my passwords, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I currently keep work, personal, flying, travel, etc. passwords on a password-protected word doc on my firm's citirx, but would like to know if there is "an app for that"? :wink2:

I see dozens or hundreds of password apps on the App Store. Are there any that you consider safe, secure, convenient, and helpful?

Greg Brown strongly recommended 1Password from AgileBits for a cross-platform password manager.

I use 1Password. It seems OK but I don't have anything to compare it to.

I use 1password and have done for many years now. It is hardly flawless, but it does work OK. Passwords are the bane of our modern existence, but 1password has helped to protect my devices from the wrath of me.

+1 for lastpass.

Use it on my PC, Android Phone and iPad.

I use SecureSafe which is based in Switzerland. I figure if Swiss Bank Accounts are secure (not withstanding the recent USA IRS efforts to successfully obtain accounts of tax avoiders) why not store my passwords there. ;)

Saw it recommended in several pubs lately.

Cheers

I'm losing control of my passwords, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I currently keep work, personal, flying, travel, etc. passwords on a password-protected word doc on my firm's citirx
Stan I feel your pain and if you find a solution that works let me know.
I too placed all my 85+ passwords on a password-protected word doc that was stored on a flash drive.
Well about 2 months ago my password-protect document decided that my access password was incorrect and it would not allow me access to my passwords.:dunno:

On any given day I use at least 15-20 different passwords for anything from my work computers to accessing Pilotsofamerica.
Then there's the passwords that you use maybe once a year for your income taxes and those I can never remember.
Then you have the passwords that were generated back in the dark ages with an email address from NetZero, Prodigy
or CompuServe and when you request a password reminder or reset it sends it to an email you no longer have access to.:mad2:

I too use a password locked WORD document that is only my primary computer. I print this to a password encrypted PDF that I have in my dropbox for easy access on any of my devices.

Any computer experts out there have issues with this approach?
1) I am not sure how secure encrypted PDF are as compared to the 1Password
2) No sure if Dropbox is secure; it is free so probably not.

I've given up on cute passwords that I can remember; now I just make up random strong passwords and rely on my list.

There are a number of hacker tools out there, some available commercially, that can crack PDF or Office files. That being said, many virus/trojans have keylogging components that can capture whatever you enter from the keyboard. So we're pretty much screwed any way you look at it.
The password programs, like LastPass, just offer convenience, as they work from most browsers and smartphones, and have automatic options that makes access quick and easy.

Check out 1password.

Stan I feel your pain and if you find a solution that works let me know.
I too placed all my 85+ passwords on a password-protected word doc that was stored on a flash drive.
Well about 2 months ago my password-protect document decided that my access password was incorrect and it would not allow me access to my passwords.:dunno:

On any given day I use at least 15-20 different passwords for anything from my work computers to accessing Pilotsofamerica.
Then there's the passwords that you use maybe once a year for your income taxes and those I can never remember.
Then you have the passwords that were generated back in the dark ages with an email address from NetZero, Prodigy
or CompuServe and when you request a password reminder or reset it sends it to an email you no longer have access to.:mad2:

I have used KeePass for years on my PC. Now I have just bought an iPad Mini and would love to have a copy on the pad that would wifi sync to the PC.

For the life of me I cannot convince myself to trust cloud or dropbox when my multibillion dollar bank is unable to keep my credit card information secure. :mad2:

I have used KeePass for years on my PC. Now I have just bought an iPad Mini and would love to have a copy on the pad that would wifi sync to the PC.

For the life of me I cannot convince myself to trust cloud or dropbox when my multibillion dollar bank is unable to keep my credit card information secure. :mad2:

Here's a great write-up regarding cloud/Dropbox security. I too was hesitant with the idea of storing passwords online, but if you read this, you'll see that while nothing is foolproof, 1Password has their bases pretty well covered.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

Most of the password stuff I store at SecureSafe is relatively harmless like email, Logins for various stores (no credit card info) and other non-financial sites. I have simplified my financial sites significantly so I can remember their passwords. Having the rest of the sites in one place is fantastic. if it ever gets hacked, it can't be worse than Yahoo's recent FUBAR where almost half a million email contact lists, including mine were stolen.

Cheers

Back