Saddle Sore 1000

tonycondon said:
and apparently he got some bad food somewhere, or overdosed on sugar/caffiene. in batesville, MS I think, found a hotel, throwing up not sure if he'll make it today. cant sleep cause hes throwing up all the time, how pleasant.

That sucks. Trying to go that far with no sleep and too much caffine is not good. Almost tried that once and thought better of it. Gotta get some serious sleep BEFORE the ride. And heading out in the afternoon.......heavy sigh......

I hope he is feeling better soon. At least he is safe in a hotel bed instead of a hospital bed.

yya roger that, last i heard he was trying to acclimate himself to the south and working on getting rehydrated.

mikea said:
I had to break out the calculator. You'd have to average 73 MPH to do 1100 miles in 15 hours, including stops. At or above the speed limit indeed.

16.9 hours averaging 65 MPH. 20 @ 55.

Sure, I will set the cruise control at 73 or 74 MPH in a 65 zone, but the time you spend at 0 MPH has a big impact on the average.

Unless things have changed in the last year and a half, most of his route will be 70 or 75 mph speed limits, and 73 is at or below the speed of traffic. In my experience, if you are rolling, especially on a motorcyle where you don't really get majorly effected by traffic (and there's only a couple spots that are gonna slow down on that route), you only lose an average of a couple/three mph for fuel and food if you hurry, typically I only lose 5-7 minutes per stop and on an 1100 mile trip thats gonna take 3 or four stops with typical m/c fuel ranges of 250-300 miles. Figure losing a half hour on a 15 hr trip that's less than 3mph.

Man - Jesse's gonna have one hell of a story to tell some day.

Just think- he's got another 1000 miles to go home!

Henning said:
Unless things have changed in the last year and a half, most of his route will be 70 or 75 mph speed limits,
Oh. I haven't come across any 75 MPH limits around here.

It's nice to know that none of the nanny lawmakers have managed to kill those off again. We can look for that when $5.00 a gallon gas provides an excuse.

...all that riding, and Steve'll meet him at the door with a 12-gauge!:yes:

---

Jesse, be safe old boy. This is the kind of experience that breeds judgment.. which is fine, so long as you actually survive to learn from it and tell about it.

how does it go? good judgement comes from experience which usually comes from bad judgement, right? :)

The Illinois State Police have issued ticket for going 36 in a 35, although they find plenty of idjits going 100MPH or more.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-tix02.html

There is that speed trap on I-94 in Racine County, Wisconsin near Kenosha where strangely, only cars with Illinois plates get tickets. I got nailed there going back to Oshkosh. $$$!!! (for a fine and a WI lawyer).

This just in...

Jesse arrives...beating out a thunderstorm with minutes to spare...

(and who said a black cloud follows him around?) LOL

Attachments

• jesse1.JPG
    jesse1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 70
Steve said:
This just in...

Jesse arrives...beating out a thunderstorm with minutes to spare...

When he stopped, did he put his feet down or did he just topple over?

Jesse, you're one crazy biker dude. We need a ride report when you figure out how to type again. Pictures if you got them. (Hint, the buttons go up and down, not twist and squeeze)

Jesse

COOL!!!! Get some sleep, eat some decent food, stay away from the caffine and the booze. Prepare for trip home. Make it a Bun Burner 1500....... hehehe

Dee

And he's off...ATD 0220 UTC

[and a couple of phonecam pictures to prove he was really here]

Attachments

• PIX #1.jpg
    PIX #1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 82
  • PIX #5.jpg
    PIX #5.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 01depart.JPG
    01depart.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 497
  • 02depart.JPG
    02depart.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 49
Steve said:
And he's off...ATD 0220 UTC

[and a couple of phonecam pictures to prove he was really here]

And picture 1 shows the real reason for the trip. :yes: :D Certainly well worth it, IMHO.

mikea said:
There is that speed trap on I-94 in Racine County, Wisconsin near Kenosha where strangely, only cars with Illinois plates get tickets. I got nailed there going back to Oshkosh. $$$!!! (for a fine and a WI lawyer).

:rofl: Sorry Mike... But with the way most of your, uh, Friendly Illinois Brethren :D drive, that particular trap is necessary. (You're talking WI state patrol where they sit on the frontage road, right? Uh, well, maybe you didn't actually see where they hide. ;)) Watch for Milwaukee County folks in the 241 - Ryan Rd. area too.

All state rivalries aside, I've never met a pilot from IL that really fit in the FIB category. :no: Too bad we can't give you some WI plates. :rofl:

flyingcheesehead said:
And picture 1 shows the real reason for the trip. :yes: :D Certainly well worth it, IMHO.

Yeah, it didn't dawn on me why Jesse would head to Steve's. Prior to that picture I was thinking he wanted a ride in the IAR.

and...I am home.

2305 miles, piece of cake...I'll write something of meaning later tonight.

EDIT: I'll write something of meaning tomorrow...

Last edited:
jangell said:
and...I am home.

Welcome home and glad it well and safe.

Have a little virtual
305732871103l.jpg
for your weary, well...um.. bones :D:D:D

Ahhh, so the photos tell a little about the purpose of the trip, other than to do something really cool while you still can (e.g. before having a S.O. who expects you to paint the living room this weekend instead of riding 2,200 miles).

If you really want to get an idea of just how tough Jesse was on this trip, take a look at the attached photo from the Iron Butt Rally, and contrast how those guys were loading up compared to what Jesse had on his bike in the departure picture. The very definition of traveling light.

Attachments

• IMG_8399.jpg
    IMG_8399.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 34
jangell said:
and...I am home.

EDIT: I'll write something of meaning tomorrow...

Great! Can't wait for the ride report!

Pjsmith said:
If you really want to get an idea of just how tough Jesse was on this trip, take a look at the attached photo from the Iron Butt Rally, and contrast how those guys were loading up compared to what Jesse had on his bike in the departure picture. The very definition of traveling light.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture of his bike. The IB types load up for a trip to the moon. By comparison Jesse appears to have basically just pointed a cannon toward the moon, grabbed a couple things on the way to the ladder, sat on top and pulled the trigger.

He may walk funny for a while but he's got my respect.

Jesse, this one is for you:

Attachments

• bowdown.gif
    bowdown.gif
    265 bytes · Views: 57
fgcason said:
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture of his bike. The IB types load up for a trip to the moon. By comparison Jesse appears to have basically just pointed a cannon toward the moon, grabbed a couple things on the way to the ladder, sat on top and pulled the trigger.

He may walk funny for a while but he's got my respect.

Jesse, this one is for you:

Thanks Frank! You made both my wife and I start crying from laughing. We needed that today! And yes, she has rode long trips with me on the vulcan so she completely agrees with you...

Back