Saddle Sore 1000

jangell said:
I have nothing to do this weekend and am seriously considering making a run at the Saddle Sore 1000 http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/default.cfm

1000 miles in 24 hours on a motorcycle..Anyone here ever done it? Any tips?
Yeah, I've done a thousand mile day - Key West to Chapel Hill, NC - 998 miles, then I went and checked my mail, which bumped it over the top.

I won't even tell you about the gall bladder problem in Daytona on the way home.

It was a very, very long day.

why dont you ride your bike to ames and fly gliders? at least make your butt sore while you are flying..

I will leave about 5pm on Friday....to Mississippi...about 1,100 miles. My plan is to do this non-stop. When I get there I will have been up for at least 34 hours.

Might as well start placing your bets right now ....If you think I've done something stupid in an airplane...this doesn't even compare :)

2 years ago a group of us did 1000mi in 24 hrs in Alaska. We started in Fairbanks. We went down Highway 2 (east) to the Alcan Hwy (hwy 1 I think) toward Anchorage to Highway 3 back to Fairbanks. We had to continue to North Pole to make it 1000mi. Thats all 3 major roads in Alaska. We did it in July so we had about 22 hrs of light. We started at 5am and finished at 8pm.Just makre sure the seat is comfy and stop every 2 hrs (you need gas anyway). Keep hydrated and watch out for the crazy people on the roads. You can tell them from a long ways away because they are the ones in vehicles with 4 wheels. On one strech the current leader (female) kept increasing the speed. At 90mph all the riders dropped back except one idiot (this poster). After running for an hour at 110+ we stopped for gas and she thanked me for keeping up and told me that when she dies she wants to die on her bike.:hairraise:

Last edited:
JRitt said:
After running for an hour at 110+ we stopped for gas and she thanked me for keeping up and told me that when she dies she wants to die on her bike.:hairraise:
Yeah, and she doesn't mind taking YOU with her! "thanks a lot" :no:

jangell said:
I will leave about 5pm on Friday....to Mississippi...about 1,100 miles. My plan is to do this non-stop. When I get there I will have been up for at least 34 hours.
Jesse, the way you're doing this is a mistake, and it's liable to cost you dearly. Just riding the bike after you've been up for 34 hours is risky enough to deem it foolish. Combine that with the stress of having been riding for a majority of that time, plus dealing with highway traffic, heat, strange roads and urban traffic - well, it doesn't make much sense.

I've ridden over a half-million miles on motorcycles and I've been in some situations that compare with what you are wanting to do - it was dangerous then, and it's dangerous now. In flying we learn to minimize risks, right? Why do you want to go completely against that training, just because you're on a bike??? It's enough that you want to ride the distance - but to do so when you're exhausted from lack of sleep is just foolish. I would strongly advise replanning this trip.

My opinion - worth what you paid for it.

jangell said:
I have nothing to do this weekend and am seriously considering making a run at the Saddle Sore 1000 http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/default.cfm

I enjoy riding my Harley .. and would love to have the time to take a trip,
but I'd be concerned about alertness spending that much time on a
bike. Avoiding the kooks that want to kill you requires being at 110%
all the time you're on the road.

jangell said:

Might as well start placing your bets right now ....If you think I've done something stupid in an airplane...this doesn't even compare :)

Trying this on a holiday weekend (extra traffic and crazed cagers) is maybe not the best idea. OTOH, I remember being young and crazy (I think :dunno: )

etsisk said:
It's enough that you want to ride the distance - but to do so when you're exhausted from lack of sleep is just foolish. I would strongly advise replanning this trip.

It's pretty much impossible to do 1,000 miles in 24 hours without being exhausted from lack of sleep. That is part of the game.

Obviously if you let yourself get to the point to where you fall asleep.. You are stupid.

You also try to take a pretty direct route.. Jump on the superslab and go

whats your route going to be? that way we can check the local news along the way :)

jangell said:
It's pretty much impossible to do 1,000 miles in 24 hours without being exhausted from lack of sleep. That is part of the game.
Obviously if you let yourself get to the point to where you fall asleep.. You are stupid.
You also try to take a pretty direct route.. Jump on the superslab and go
But Jesse, you AREN'T doing 24 hours - you're going to be up for 34 hours, and your ride will finish at the end of it - and if you don't think that last 10 hours is going to have a serious negative impact on your ability to think and react, then you are going to have many, many teachable moments in the near future.

I'm not posting this to slam you - not at all - but rather because I don't want to see you ground into pieces on the roadway, somewhere. Twenty-four hours is tough, but doable. Thirty-four hours is not smart at all.

Wow. The trip sounds great--I am envious. But, is there any way you can get some sleep beforehand? That big of a trip would warrant skipping a day of work or whatever.

jangell said:

Multiple times, no worries if you have a comfy bike and a Vanda Cruise. With the cruise you can lay down on the tank with your hands under your chest, and your feet on the backseat. It's a good way to break up those shoulder and a$$ cramps, just shift a shoulder and a hip is all you need to steer it down the highway. I used to commute 120 miles a day on my old XS Eleven Midnight Special... out the front door at 7, clocked in at 8.

If your bike is a chain drive, make sure your chain and sprocket are reasonably fresh. Clean and lube frequently especially if raining, you don't even have to stop, just reach down and squirt.

jangell said:

34 hrs:dunno: ??? What, are you gonna party for 18 before you leave? It's 15 hrs driving at or near speed limit, so figure with food and fuel you could make it in 16.5 hrs if you were on a mission but didn't want to risk a ticket, and 20 hrs if you take it eazy and catch a nap in the drivers lounge at the Flying J past Memphis.

If you had a hot bike and were running hooked up, you could potentially come in in under 10 hrs, but have the cash to pay the ticket in your sock, cause you're gonna sit in jail till you do.

Heck, my GrandMa could ride there in 34 hrs, and she's been dead for a decade.:D

An 1100 mile day is no big deal as long as the weather co-operates. Usually I make 1100 miles in about 13 hrs.

jangell said:

Are you doing this on that 750 of yours? That's not the most comfortable of bikes for long haul essentially nonstop riding.

Just a few things to consider:
A 5pm departure for 24hrs will trash your circadian rhythm if you work days. You're going to start zoning out a lot sooner than if you depart at 5am. The ride starts at 5pm at a safety disadvantage at mile #0.
When was the last time you were up for 24hrs straight AND coherent enough to safely do a dozen touch and go's by yourself when the clock started to repeat itself? Have you been up 34hrs straight before? It's rough and that's coming from someone who use to work 48+hrs straight regularly with nothing more than a few naps under a desk in a reasonably safe environment. You've ridden enough to know that you have to be as coherent on the last 100 miles as the first 100 miles..it just takes one pothole or 2x4 laying in the road under the right conditions to take you down.
How far have you ridden in a day and has that distance been recently? I've talked to a few IBA riders and they don't just hop on and go. They work up their endurance for the big one. Most of them recommended that if you try, you should ride 2up so you can switch out pilots until you're experienced enough to go solo. (I've done ≈500-550 miles in one day on my 650 and it was rough but doable. There's no way I could have done 700 at the safety level I require without riding long distance more often. 800 miles solo in the car is rough enough)
Is there any consideration that this is a national mindless crazed psychotic drunk driving, um, holiday weekend? I won't even drive at all on holidays anymore much less at night on 2 wheels when the opposition is all snockered.

jangell said:
If you think I've done something stupid in an airplane...this doesn't even compare :)

No argument there. I know my limits and tend to wimp out before I get into the stupid pilot tricks zone.

Speaking of safety, the IBA seems to be a bit like aviation communities...very safety oriented and frown intensely on unsafe operations:
http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1
"Motorcycling comes with risk and riding a 1,000 miles or more increases your risk substantially."
"Please remember that the Iron Butt Association is dedicated to the sport of safe, long-distance motorcycle riding. It does not condone nor will it tolerate unsafe activities such as excessive speed, reckless motorcycle operation, riding while fatigued or otherwise impaired, the use of stimulants to maintain alertness, or any other activity that results in riders exceeding their personal limits. Any rider found to have engaged in these or other unsafe activities, as determined in the sole discretion of the IBA, will have their certification refused. If the certification is already issued and we find out about these infractions after the fact, the certification will be revoked. For these purposes, the IBA will consider as an admission of violating this policy any public statements made by the participant that describe participation in unsafe activities during a ride subject to certification."

Based on that and the few riders I've talked to, if you pull into a rally point looking dazed and hallucinating, they'll likely slap you clean off your bike and tell you to leave.

Unless you've done long distance riding recently to build up to the 1000 miles, I'd either forget about it or make the run in 2 days. But that's just me.

Everyone: ride, fly and drive safe this weekend...it's a warzone out there.

I've had one hell of a morning..

I go outside to go to work and drive my car up to my garage and put the motorcycle tire in the trunk so I can fill it with air. Guess what? I locked myself out of my car...with the car running. So now my bike has the front tire off..and I'm locked outside of my car...So much for having two vehicles.

So the car is running, my keys for the apartment are in my car, and I'm hosed. My first priority was to turn the car off..so I crawled underneath the car and opened the hood with a screw driver and pulled the relay for the fuel pump. Car is off.. I dial 411 on my cell phone and guess what..Every damn tow number they give me is closed....So I start walking

About 30 minutes of walking later I arrive at Napa and buy the largest screw driver I could possibly find..about two feet long. I walked back to my car and shoved the screw driver inbetween the door and the door seal and hit the lock with it. Presto, I'm back in my car. At this point I'm completely covered in oil and sweating up a storm and have already missed so much work there is no point in going in.

So it looks like I'm going to get an earlier launch then planned. Maybe this means I can catch some sleep somewhere enroute.

Longest ride I've done so far is about 9 hours. Though I ride 4 hours almost every weekend (all in the same day two hours to my parents house to see my little sister...two hours back)...I think I'll be able to handle this.

This will be on my '85 Nighthawk 700S..I've got a new front and rear tire on it. It is shaft drive so there are no chains to worry about. One problem is that the bike has almost no wind protection. Oh well.

As it is right now I've got about 5 hours of sleep..I was up at 6am. Maybe I'll launch in the next few hours or so. I need to figure out what to bring and how to pack it.

Henning said:
If you had a hot bike and were running hooked up, you could potentially come in in under 10 hrs, but have the cash to pay the ticket in your sock, cause you're gonna sit in jail till you do.

At this point I don't plan on hotrodding it too much. I do plan on carrying plenty of cash incase I happen to run into the law in a state that has no agreement with Minnesota.

Henning said:
34 hrs:dunno: ??? What, are you gonna party for 18 before you leave? It's 15 hrs driving at or near speed limit, so figure with food and fuel you could make it in 16.5 hrs if you were on a mission but didn't want to risk a ticket, and 20 hrs if you take it eazy and catch a nap in the drivers lounge at the Flying J past Memphis.

Heck, my GrandMa could ride there in 34 hrs, and she's been dead for a decade.:D

An 1100 mile day is no big deal as long as the weather co-operates. Usually I make 1100 miles in about 13 hrs.

I had to break out the calculator. You'd have to average 73 MPH to do 1100 miles in 15 hours, including stops. At or above the speed limit indeed.

16.9 hours averaging 65 MPH. 20 @ 55.

Sure, I will set the cruise control at 73 or 74 MPH in a 65 zone, but the time you spend at 0 MPH has a big impact on the average.

Last edited:
mikea said:
, but time at 0 MPH has a big impact on the average.

And, bikes stop more often for gas. I don't know the range of Jesse's bike, but I need to start looking for gas at 225mi or so.

Bill Jennings said:
And, bikes stop more often for gas. I don't know the range of Jesse's bike, but I need to start looking for gas at 225mi or so.

I need to start looking at 130 miles. I will run out of gas at about 149 miles. I hit reserve at about 135 miles.

So yeah. It's gonna be quite a few gas stops. But they are usually pretty quick. Hit the exit. Stop. Swipe the credit card..fill up..and you are rolling again.

I'm tired as hell though already. I should be departing within a hour. I'll post when I leave. We'll see how far I get before I need to crash for a few hours.

jangell said:
I need to start looking at 130 miles. I will run out of gas at about 149 miles. I hit reserve at about 135 miles.

My light comes on at about 225 on the highway, leaving me 1 gallon, which is good for 40-50mi depending on how hard I'm running.

I like to stop at the first available, as I've run out of gas before, and it ain't fun. I also make each stop 15-20min or so, get out of the gear, whizz, knock back a gatoraid and some fig newtons, clean the bug goo from the visor, etc...

If it is really hot, soak your shirt and helmet lliner with water, under the gear evaporative cooling will make you feel really good for the first 20-30mi.

Frank Browne said:
Good luck Jesse and be careful out there! If you feel the need to stop for rest....DO!

Yep, a shade tree is GREAT. On an all day interstate run I like to hit a rest about 3pm and take a 20min nap in the shade.

Ride sounds like fun. Gonna have to do me an Iron Butt one of these days. So far longest day was about 700 miles.

Since you are probably already gone by this point, I hope you have a good trip. We just got back from a weekend ride to SoCal. temps were hotter than forcasted. It was miserabley hot, average temp was in the mid 90's, highest was 115 in Redding, CA on Monday afternoon. We were going to do an Iron Butt down there, but it just didn't pan out. Had I know it was going to be this hot, I'd have taken the car. :)

We try and plan for just about anything, and it happened. 17 miles north of Weed, CA Pete's Cali EV died. CalTrans worker stopped to assist, got us a tow truck back to town ($100 plus $20 tip to driver who treated the bike like it was her own). After chatting with the Guzzi mechanic in Seattle, seems that the there were several of the same bikes as Pete's that had the same problem. Bad fuel line that disengaged itself from submerged fuel pump. Instead of attempting to fix it, we got a UHaul and drove back to Seattle (630 miles, $460 for 17' UHaul van, $250 for fuel, $120 for hotel in Seattle). Got to the Guzzi dealer first thing in the morning and it took them 18 minutes to fix the problem. My bike, OTOH, rode flawlessly and was not amused at having to be hauled like some garage queen in the back of a moving van.

very dissapointing, but educational. :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least we were not out in the middle of nowhere and all the warranty hassles with the bike have now been dealt with. We are now ready for trip to MN in August. :yes:

jangell said:
So yeah. It's gonna be quite a few gas stops. But they are usually pretty quick. Hit the exit. Stop. Swipe the credit card..fill up..and you are rolling again.

Refuel yourself while you're stopped for motorcycle fuel. Hydration will help keep your head and body working especially in the summer heat. Don't forget high energy snacks. On long runs I'll get off, fuel up, pay inside (deliberate time and get the circulation going again delay) and walk around the station or a few hundred feet then preflight before mounting up again. If you get tired, take a 10 minute nap. We use to go on long summer vacations every year and often drive 700+ miles in a single day swapping out drivers. Those short 5-8 minute breaks at 0mph aren't as bad on total run time as they appear and you'll be a lot safer and will be able to eat up the miles quicker if you do them properly instead of being in an all out race against the clock.

Bill Jennings said:
My light comes on at about 225 on the highway, leaving me 1 gallon, which is good for 40-50mi depending on how hard I'm running.

I like to stop at the first available, as I've run out of gas before, and it ain't fun. I also make each stop 15-20min or so, get out of the gear, whizz, knock back a gatoraid and some fig newtons, clean the bug goo from the visor, etc...

If it is really hot, soak your shirt and helmet lliner with water, under the gear evaporative cooling will make you feel really good for the first 20-30mi.

We carry MSR type fuel bottles with us. Pete found one that holds 1.5L, and for this trip to CA and back we had 4 bottles full.

I second the 'soaking'. We both have evap and mesh gear. Lifesavers when its 110F out.

Ok guys. I'm all packed up. I will be leaving within 20 minutes.

Wish me luck!

Jesse:

Be safe!

/s/ Spike

Henning said:

Any question why we've missed Henning 'round here?

Classic!

DeeG said:
We carry MSR type fuel bottles with us. Pete found one that holds 1.5L, and for this trip to CA and back we had 4 bottles full.

I second the 'soaking'. We both have evap and mesh gear. Lifesavers when its 110F out.
I'd have a very full, big Camelbak.

I've done 1,000+ miles in a day many times. I had a Honda GoldWing, air suspension, air adjustable seats, electronic cruise control and a backrest! The Goldwing is the smoothest tourer out there in my opinion. I'd start about 5:30 - 6:00am, dial in about 85 mph on the cruise (the GW lugs in anything under 70), first stop about 1 1/2 hrs later for breakfast. Go until 11:00pm at night. I'd never attempt it on a Harley.

Been riding for the past 40 years, My BIGGEST tip for long distance travel is to stop often, no more than 1 1/2 hrs. Even if its to get off, walk around the bike, a few deep knee bends, then back on, 5 - 10 minutes tops.

jangell said:
At this point I don't plan on hotrodding it too much. I do plan on carrying plenty of cash incase I happen to run into the law in a state that has no agreement with Minnesota.

Regardless of agreements, I don't know anyone except CHP that will let you go with a ticket for >100mph. Typically, you, if they let you, pay the fine on the spot. Normally though, they take you to jail run a full W&W, get you to pay there, and generally eat three hours of your day. If you pi$$ them off, they'll have your stuff towed and impounded, there's another $600. Then they'll take all that cash you have (as well as everything including your belt and shoe laces) and log it all into your property bag which they will not let you have till they release you, so you have to call his brother in law, the bondsman after you see the magistrate on the next business morning, there's another 10% and at least one night in jail, possibly a week to 10 days with holidays (though you normally get off with court costs and time served then).

If you can make them laugh gives you the best chance to pay the fine on the spot, and it usually works out cheapest and the least time.

anyone hear from jesse yet? i got a text from him last night saying he was in cedar rapids IA and would call when he made it to missouri. this was at 645. called him this morning and left a message asking if he was in an emergency room. waiting reply...

*update*

Got a call back from Jesse, he is not dead. In middle of nowhere, Mississippi, about 250 miles short of Steves house. Dead tired, looking for a rest stop/ hotel/ nice patch of grass to sleep on for about 3 or 4 hours before continuing on.

and apparently he got some bad food somewhere, or overdosed on sugar/caffiene. in batesville, MS I think, found a hotel, throwing up not sure if he'll make it today. cant sleep cause hes throwing up all the time, how pleasant.

I'd only do it if I could fly the Tiger. :D

Back