Sad... WX related crash?

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I just learned of this crash nearby in Delaware:

http://www.dailylocal.com/WebApp/ap....content=/DLN/Home/BreakingNews_Story_1206009

The winds at Philly are:

KPHL 041654Z 29019G33KT 10SM SCT055 SCT200 03/M11 A2966 RMK AO2 PK WND 28034/1628 SLP044 VIRGA N T00281106
KPHL 041554Z 30022G29KT 10SM SCT055 SCT200 02/M11 A2969 RMK AO2 PK WND 27035/1456 SLP052 T00221111
KPHL 041454Z 28024G29KT 10SM SCT055 SCT200 02/M11 A2969 RMK AO2 PK WND 28031/1434 SLP054 T00171111 58003
KPHL 041354Z 27017G25KT 10SM FEW055 SCT200 01/M11 A2970 RMK AO2 SLP057 VIRGA E T00111111

While those winds look strong they are not un-flyable unless the guy was in an ultra light. Those winds were not that far off of runway 27 since he had access to that runway there would not have been a huge crosswind. Any idea what runway he was using?

While those winds look strong they are not un-flyable unless the guy was in an ultra light. Those winds were not that far off of runway 27 since he had access to that runway there would not have been a huge crosswind. Any idea what runway he was using?

I found this story on the Inquirer web site but it doesn't have much more info. The pictures are scary though. I don't recognize the taxiway, but I've only flown in there a couple of times.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20071204_Fatal_plane_crash_in_Delaware.html

Not many facts at all. Yes, that picture is scary!

There is one statement in that article that is kinda interesting, ""We don't know if it was taxiing to take off or if it was landing," he said." If it was a taxiing incident those winds could be at fault along with potential pilot error and not using correct wind correction techniques. Didn't we just see a video form NZ on a 172 flipping over in such winds?

Heading south on I-95 this morning I saw a big plume of thick black smoke coming from the area of the airport. You know when you get that sinking feeling in your gut and you just know. I made a call to co-workers and confirmed and continued into work. I made sure our club aircraft was not involved and tried to go about my business. My phone rang off the hook this morning with co-workers calling to see if I bagged a day of work to go fly. It's nice to know they care. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the pilot lost today.

From delaware online....

Businessman dead as plane crashes at New Castle Airport

By TERRI SANGINITI and CRIS BARRISH, The News Journal
Updated Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 11:38 am

A view of the crash site.
The News Journal/RON SOLIMAN

"The plane is completely destroyed," said Jim Salmon, a spokesman with the Delaware River and Bay Authority, which operates the airport.
The News Journal/CARLA VARISCO-WILLIAMS

Location Google maps

Delaware River and Bay Authority officials have confirmed the identity of a victim in this morning's fatal plane crash at the New Castle Airport as a Wilmington-area businessman.

The Owner often used the plane for work-related trips, said Joseph Lamonica, an aviation attorney who is the Federal Aviation Administration’s lead safety representative at the airport.

“He was a pretty good guy,’’ Lamonica said.

DRBA Airport Operations Director Stephen Williams said the 1969 Beechcraft Duke twin-engine aircraft took off from runway 27 about 7:22 a.m. today.

The pilot, who was not required to file a flight plan, was given a wind advisory before takeoff from the air tower.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing the plane climb about 150 feet into the air before banking to the left at a 90-degree angle and barreling to the ground.

A witness said he was stopped at a red light at Airport and Churchmans roads when he saw the plane take off headed in the direction of the Wawa Food Market on the corner.

“It kind of banked a hard left and headed back toward the airport, making almost a 180-degree turn,” Rogers said.

As the plane made a turn halfway around, its left wing was pointed downward and the right wing “went up in the air, like a gust of wind caught it underneath,” .
“It crossed my mind that it might be a stunt plane,” he said.”When the wing kicked up, the nose headed toward the ground, almost in a straight nosedive. I didn’t see it hit, but a second later I saw a ball of fire shoot up from behind the hill about 40-50 feet in the air.”

He was one of many witnesses who called 911 to report it.

Williams said although a wind advisory had been issued by the tower, an experienced pilot would typically be able to handle something like that.

“The plane climbed at a high angle, maybe as a result of wind,” he said. “It may have resulted in a difficult recovery."

Williams said he did not know what the wind gusts were like at the time of the crash.

“He couldn’t have been in the air more than a few seconds,” he said.

The plane crashed and burned a few feet away from MBNA’s former hangar, which is currently unoccupied.

National Guard personnel, assisted by Wilmington Manor firefighters, quickly extinguished the blaze.

County paramedic spokeswoman Sgt. Kelli Starr-Leach said Hart, the lone victim, was pronounced dead at 7:24 a.m.

Three piles of charred wreckage were all that remained of the aircraft. Assorted fiberglass pieces were seen blowing down the taxi runway nearby.

The FAA and state medical examiner were on the scene this morning investigating.

Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board were on their way to the scene, Williams said at a 9:30 a.m. press conference.

“We’ve operated the airport since 1995, and this is the first fatality,” DRBA Police Chief John McCarnan said.

Air traffic at the airport was not significantly affected by the crash, Williams said.

The airport averages about 150 arrivals and takeoffs a day, he said.

Last edited:
Not many facts at all. Yes, that picture is scary!

There is one statement in that article that is kinda interesting, ""We don't know if it was taxiing to take off or if it was landing," he said." If it was a taxiing incident those winds could be at fault along with potential pilot error and not using correct wind correction techniques. Didn't we just see a video form NZ on a 172 flipping over in such winds?

That is interesting. Seems like the tower should have been operational at that time since it begins operation at 0630 local time.

We had winds gusting up to 45 in DC yesterday. DCA had MD-80s taking off from Rwy 33, which is 5200' into the wind. 1-19 is the usual runway @6800'

Telling, "The plane climbed at a high angle, maybe as a result of wind,” Departure stall perhaps? That would be inline with a wing then coming down. The question is if that is the case what caused the stall? Was it pilot performance issues or was he having a health issue that caused him to loose control?

Saw that on chanel 6 this morning they said the plane and occupants were so badly burnt they couln't tell if they were male or female. Very Sad. Winds were really bad up by wings.

Sad story indeed!

Seems to be some question as to the number of people no?

Telling, "The plane climbed at a high angle, maybe as a result of wind,” Departure stall perhaps? That would be inline with a wing then coming down. The question is if that is the case what caused the stall? Was it pilot performance issues or was he having a health issue that caused him to loose control?
Sounds like issues requiring immediate return to the runway, a teardrop turn into a strong tailwind followed by stall and incipient spin to me.

How many times must we see these? (Was reading an accident report involving a Cirrus doing the exact thing last night.)

"Where he was headed has not yet been determined, because planes that small are not required to file flight plans, DiStefano said."

If only our planes were bigger, we would have to file flight plans and thus wouldn't have such tragic accidents.:rolleyes:

Back