SAC-->SBD flight planning

m100psi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
m100psi
Hi all,

I'm heading down to SBD for the first time this weekend. Entering the area from the northwest, it looks like the Cajon pass is the best route in, but there's some terrain to drop down from. Can anyone share how the tower likes to route traffic that needs to get down to TPA from that direction?

Or is it better (from Sacramento) to cross at the Grapevine, and stay southwest of terrain from there to SBD? I was planning on crossing those hills over hwy 58 (TSP).

I know I could just do it and find out, but it's nice to have some idea what to expect at a new airport.

Thanks,
Matt

I've never been in SBD from that direction but I did fly into Redlands from that direction a few weeks ago. I descended over and reversed course to not slam dunk it in. However there were a couple guys ahead of me going into SBD and they seemed to handle it fine. Started their descent before the pass and headed straight for the airfield. We were all VFR and ATC didn't seem phased at all. Now, on the hand off over the valley ATC is busy with LAX traffic cranking in that turn to final right there. They never acknowledged me so I just flipped to the field freq.

So, no big deal. But I would go GMN BUR EMT etc. If really uncomfortable with the new route. If it's windy I prefer that because it's really bumpy over the pass, and the desert. The worst turbulence i've experienced was over there.

VFR, assuming no need for IFR. Not a lot of extra time this trip, but I'll keep CMA in mind for another.

Yeah, I guess the Gorman routing does make more sense. I would think there'd be a lot of folks squeezing between the hills and the bravo around EMT, but it's simpler routing overall.

Thanks,
Matt

I would think there'd be a lot of folks squeezing between the hills and the bravo around EMT, but it's simpler routing overall.

Actually if you go GMN>BUR then hug the mountains (if winds allow) around BUR to remain north of the I-10 that is really mellow place to fly as it is out of the way of a lot of IFR approaches and other traffic. That is a common route for me from Nor Cal out PSP area.

That is the play it safe route.

If you do this IFR, you'll go over LHS and they'll stick you on V186 at 5000 once you get into the San Fernando Valley and you'll basically go that way. Honestly, it is a good route to use VFR as well. Just make sure you have FF. That Burbank area for SoCal is a very busy, very fast moving airspace in a very small area.

I flew over GMN recently for the first time in a while on a VFR flight and realized why LHS is so much better. Just much less terrain and less swirl. From KSAC, you're not saving any time going over GMN.

What are you flying? VFR or IFR? I would do KSAC PRB RZS KCMA (get takeout at Camarillo) then KCMA KSBD

Maybe I should broadcast this too loud, but the Waypoint is open for dine in ;-)

LHS DARTS V186 PDZ?

Good call by all here to stay southwest of the hills south of GMN.

upload_2020-6-12_11-53-54.png

LHS DARTS V186 PDZ?

Good call by all here to stay southwest of the hills south of GMN.

My preferred route into the SoCal basin is actually over to SBA then down the coast. 80% of the time my plane gets worked in rough air via GMN and it only adds 5 more min to my trip.

My preferred route into the SoCal basin is actually over to SBA then down the coast. 80% of the time my plane gets worked in rough air via GMN and it only adds 5 more min to my trip.

I’ve started flying southbound over GMN at 9,500 which seems to mitigate most of the worst turbulence. It also sets me up for the Hollywood Park route through the Bravo to SNA.

Hitting SBA first is an interesting idea. I might try that some time. Looks like about a 10 minute detour.

I might try LHS instead of GMN as suggested above.

Hitting SBA first is an interesting idea. I might try that some time. Looks like about a 10 minute detour.

FUL and SNA are two of my most common destinations and SBA to LAX Coastal Route @ 5,500' is easy peasy. No need to chop and drop from higher. Once south of LAX SoCal will typically allow you to descend below the 5000' Bravo shelf early if requested and resume own nav so you do not have to fly the entire route to the exit point (but ONLY once south of LAX)

If you’re instrument rated it might not be bad to go IFR. I almost always do when I’m in the LA basin. With COVID the controllers have been pretty accommodating. Last cross country I went on I was “cleared to destination via direct.”

Being IFR rated and having done both, I SOOOOOO much prefer to transition the SoCal basing VFR when conditions allows. Always get to where I need to go quicker...but I also know the Bravo routes inside and out and what to expect.

Last edited:
Appreciate everyone's feedback here. I headed down O61-GMN-BUR-EMT-SBD, then returned (more or less) SBD-TSP-O61 since the winds were calm yesterday and was curious to check it out. The GMN-BUR-EMT route was easier as others said above. Being conservative, I made a couple 360s to gain altitude before heading into the Cajon pass just north of SBD--with Socal's approval, but not ideal in a corridor with traffic coming from a couple directions. Also nice to get all the terrain out of the way at once (over GMN) instead of twice (just north of SBD, then again around TSP).

FYI to other first time visitors to SBD, they definitely want you to make left traffic for 24, regardless of where you're coming from or whether or not they say so.

Back