[SA]Computer camera[SA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
[SA] means slightly av-related. I am working on filming flights.

Is there any way to capture video as an mpg or wmv etc that has been imaged or 'shot' with a usb camera plugged into a laptop?

Ie a laptop sitting on copilot seat, usb "web" camera plugged in, rigged in plane somewhere?

I have a webcam attached to my laptop for video calls with the grandparents. The camera actually takes pretty good pictures, in my opinion. Much better than I thought I would get for $50.... (It is a "Skype approved" Logitech 1.3 MP, but I am sure there are much better cameras out there for web videos...)

--Matt Rogers

Right, I have a camera too, in fact I have two: a built in one, and I am playing with a usb plug-in camera.
I can get one to work on skype as well but am wondering if you can capture (for playback later or posting on youtube type sites).

Dave,
My logitech has software that you can capture video and stills with, but I have never used it. My wife handles all the videoconfrencing to Grandma these days....
--Matt

Yes, you can. You need video capture software. You may already have it, actually; a lot of cameras come with it. I'm also pretty sure Windows Movie Maker can do it, as well as most other video editing software.

-Rich

Another option is Picasa3 from Google, their free video/picture editing software. It does a great job of cutting through the haze you sometimes get in airborne still pictures, too.

It allows you to capture video directly from your webcam and directly import it into their video editing software:

Webcam capture

This is webcam importing made simple: Capture video or stills from within Picasa 3, and import them in the same instant. Make sure your webcam is operational, and then click the Webcam Capture button
picasa_93773e.png
on the top button bar. The Capture tool will let you take and import video and stills.

Man, that POV looks perfect... and it's only $800.00!

Definitely made for pilots!

The VIO POV is really more for sports enthusiasts who want to attach a cam to their helmets, and it's TV qual which means Standard Def (640x480). If you've got a mount point and it works for you, go for it. :D There are a few camcorders out for cheaper than the POV that will record at least 1080i.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541186-REG/Samsung_SCHMX20_SC_HMX20C_8GB_Hybrid_HDD.html

1080p at 30fps, about 550$

The VIO POV is really more for sports enthusiasts who want to attach a cam to their helmets, and it's TV qual which means Standard Def (640x480). If you've got a mount point and it works for you, go for it. :D There are a few camcorders out for cheaper than the POV that will record at least 1080i.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541186-REG/Samsung_SCHMX20_SC_HMX20C_8GB_Hybrid_HDD.html

1080p at 30fps, about 550$

Yabut-

we're talking about something to hang out in the slipstream, so a complete camcorder is not such a great choice.

Cool, Dave! Putting that camera on a spare access panel worked well, other than the oil spray, as you mentioned. On a wing access panel, it would work really well (getting the usb cable out there might be interesting, though).

Gotta note here one other thing, for the record.... nice CENTERLINE landing! That nosewheel was ON IT.

Wow... Cool, Dave!

I don't know why, but the external view of gear extension and retraction is so cool to me. That was my favorite part of the Sporty's video series too.

I've been using the Vholdr camera for the past several months. It can't be beat for ruggedness and ease of use. It was designed for use in extreme sports and still takes pretty good video. They also have adopted a social networking component to their product were you can share videos through their web site, comment and rate videos, and they run "best of..." contests every week. Here's a video I shot while practicing the 2008 Sportsman sequence last year. I used iMovie on a Mac to edit it down and add the music.

http://www.vholdr.com/node/5492

any room in the landing light housing? Nice vid!!! :)

Back