S-Tec better with Garmin or Avidyne?

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
I am scraping together all my pennies, getting ready to upgrade the panel in a big way. Hoping for huge savings at OsHKosh..

Anyway... I have an S-Tec50 and like it alot...

Does it matter what GPS unit I install? I do not have enough to install G5's to drive the system; that would be the complete upgrade.

They should both work exactly the same connected to the STEC 50.

I have an Stec 50 also, was connected to a Garmin 430W, swapped that out for an IFD440. No difference at all in how the Stec works.

I'll second what @GBSoren said, I had my STEC 3100 connected to a Garmin 530W and swapped that to an Avidyne IFD550 and the STEC works just as smoothly. Now as far as the programming, VNAV, IAP's, etc...it's all much smoother. :)

I'll second what @GBSoren said, I had my STEC 3100 connected to a Garmin 530W and swapped that to an Avidyne IFD550 and the STEC works just as smoothly. Now as far as the programming, VNAV, IAP's, etc...it's all much smoother. :)

So you made the switch? I really do like the Avidyne just not sure I will keep this airplane that long. Congrats though!

So you made the switch? I really do like the Avidyne just not sure I will keep this airplane that long. Congrats though!
Yeah, we made the plunge and love it. Just have the Avidyne AMX240 and IFD550 installed so far. I have a date in about 2 months to get back in and have the GNS430 swapped out for the IFD540 and swapping the GTX345 for their remote transponder and active traffic combo. My panels are starting to look like Swiss cheese from years of changing things out. Need them to re-cut the left and middle as well. It's hard to spend a lot on upgrades if you don't think you'll keep it for a long time. I'm thinking this is our forever bird so this will basically have it right where we want it for many years of traveling.

Just remember you gotta hit one button twice. :rofl:

Yeah, we made the plunge and love it. Just have the Avidyne AMX240 and IFD550 installed so far. I have a date in about 2 months to get back in and have the GNS430 swapped out for the IFD540 and swapping the GTX345 for their remote transponder and active traffic combo. My panels are starting to look like Swiss cheese from years of changing things out. Need them to re-cut the left and middle as well. It's hard to spend a lot on upgrades if you don't think you'll keep it for a long time. I'm thinking this is our forever bird so this will basically have it right where we want it for many years of traveling.

If you need a panel recut, there's a guy on my field that will do it for a pretty good deal and powder coat it as well.

If you need a panel recut, there's a guy on my field that will do it for a pretty good deal and powder coat it as well.
Thanks! I many reach out to you for the contact info. My shop that is doing the avionics install says they can do it all. I'm going to verify/check the quality and let you know. Is that the same one that did your panel after the MVP? That looks nice.

Thanks! I many reach out to you for the contact info. My shop that is doing the avionics install says they can do it all. I'm going to verify/check the quality and let you know. Is that the same one that did your panel after the MVP? That looks nice.

Yeah, same guys. I keep thinking I want the left side recut to shuffle some things around, but then I gotta, well, shuffle things around.

Back