S-TEC 55X Promotion

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
S-TEC is running a promotion on refurbed 55X's for 172's and PA28's. If you already have an S-TEC AP, it can be as little as $2,995 for the unit. It seems pretty intriguing for someone like myself that has a System 30, which works well, but lacks vertical guidance.

A link to the details is here https://55x.genesys-aerosystems.com/ga/

I have a PA28 with a G500 that provides GPSS, seems like a great alternative to a GFC500, which would cost me about 20K all in (need to add a G5) and competitive with the TruTrack, but better integration with the Garmin deck (like following a heading bug).

Anyone with a 55X have any PIREPS?

I had a 55X for about 10 years that I just upgraded to a 3100, so you might even get my old 55X :) I was very happy with the system, flew my airplane (T210) very well, only reason I upgraded was to get some of the new features like IAS climbs and to get rid of the turn coordinator. The G500 unlock for get alt preselect is like $2k FYI (but you don’t need the GAD43e) If you want both alt preselect with VSI bug from the G500, you’ll need a GAD43e (like $4k)

Just FYI on their site in the small print "The $2,995 pricing is a "starting at" upgrade price from a previously installed System 50 or 60-2 S-TEC autopilot system" So not sure if it applies to a S-TEC 30.

It sort of does - they are quoting me $4,995, so a bit of break, but no longer all that interesting given installed price of a TruTrack at ~$7,250.

Good to know, as I have a 30 in my Cherokee, did email them so lets see if the price matches. But yeah at 5K TrueTrack does look more appealing.

TruTrack has some limitations though.

It only follows track or GPS. So, no following ILS or VOR. With a GPS the VOR thing is pretty much moot though, as one could put in the fixes for most things. I have had a Departure procedure that followed a VOR radial though; that was unusual. Many ILS approaches are overlaid with GPS LPV, so that may not be too big a deal.

2.3.Altitude Limitations
The Vizion autopilot system has an altitude engage / disengage height limit. This limit shall be used for all modes of flight. For Climb, Cruise, Maneuvering, and Descent phases of flight, the recognition time of autopilot failure is assumed to be 3 seconds with recovery initiated 1 second after recognition.
  • The minimum autopilot operating altitude is 700 feet AGL.
700' is above most approach minimums. Plus, it's not even certified for approaches:

2.4.Other Limitations
  • This autopilot has not been evaluated by the FAA to meet the certification requirements for coupled instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore, these types of procedures are not authorized without further evaluation and approval.
  • After a GPS failure, the only lateral autopilot mode available is the BANK mode.
  • When engaged, the autopilot only captures current vertical speed if the aircraft is travelling 500 feet per minute or greater in either direction. Otherwise, it will level off.
Apparently it won't take the current climb or descent rate if that rate is under 500 fpm, if I'm reading that last bullet correctly.

Looks like it would be a nice VFR autopilot though.

This drop in price puts the STEC 55x in the mix for those with other STEC APs installed. Otherwise the 55x is _way_ higher than the TruTrack.

Looks like it would be a nice VFR autopilot though.

That's a bit rich I must say. In today's TAA aircraft (retro-ed) the TT does all it needs to do for 95% of all IFR pilots. More than that and either you fly for money or are stuck in the 90s.

Just FYI on their site in the small print "The $2,995 pricing is a "starting at" upgrade price from a previously installed System 50 or 60-2 S-TEC autopilot system" So not sure if it applies to a S-TEC 30.

Good Afternoon,

Please reach out to me at Doug.Tellef@genesys-aerosystems.com for questions on your specific application. The upgrade price on this special offer from a S-TEC 30 to a 55X is $4,995, that is a savings of $7,000. There is limited quantities of these available so I would suggest talking to your S-TEC dealer asap to get yours while they are still available!

Hi I would like to follow this thread, for a Cessna P206 a, 1965 model, not pressurized, Gtn 750, G5, and I’m looking to upgrade with a auto pilot, I realize this thread is really old but when I did the panel in 2018 I was assured that STC for the other auto pilot would be done but it’s not

Hi I would like to follow this thread, for a Cessna P206 a, 1965 model, not pressurized, Gtn 750, G5, and I’m looking to upgrade with a auto pilot, I realize this thread is really old but when I did the panel in 2018 I was assured that STC for the other auto pilot would be done but it’s not

Good Afternoon Bert,

I have changed departments and am no longer in Sales, however if you would like to email me at Doug.Tellef@Genesys-Aerosystems.com and let me know your tail number, and where you are located, I can put you in touch with the Regional Sales Manager for your area to discuss options and pricing for your aircraft. As always please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Good Afternoon Bert,

I have changed departments and am no longer in Sales, however if you would like to email me at Doug.Tellef@Genesys-Aerosystems.com and let me know your tail number, and where you are located, I can put you in touch with the Regional Sales Manager for your area to discuss options and pricing for your aircraft. As always please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Thank you Doug I appreciate your reply, I did get a email from Jack today and possibly install a 55?, my Avionics Shop used to be an dealer but is no longer to do the sales requirements, Bert

Thank you Doug I appreciate your reply, I did get a email from Jack today and possibly install a 55?, my Avionics Shop used to be an dealer but is no longer to do the sales requirements, Bert

Perfect! Jack is a great guy and will take care of you! The 55X is a great option and the best option for your aircraft. If you need to find a S-TEC dealer in your area please visit this link:
https://genesys-aerosystems.com/dealer-locator

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Back