S-Tec 40 Gurus? Paired with Aspen

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
I have a newly installed Aspen E5 and ACU to drive a previously installed System 40. Would I be correct in saying that the S-Tec box needs to be configured to be able to accept the commands for heading bug from the Aspen? In my mind, I was thinking maybe jumpers on the inside of the box?

It previously work with the original heading indicator but I’m getting no movement now when exercising the heading bug on the E5.

I know the correct answer is to probably take it to a dealer, but trying to find a workaround on a 4 month lead time.

The aspen has to be configured correctly in the config menus, but that should have been done on installation.

Your "jumper" comments don't really make sense. I mean, things have to be wired correctly yes, but again, that's what installation is.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 10.01.59 AM.png

I have a newly installed Aspen E5 and ACU to drive a previously installed System 40.
Perhaps stupid question but just checking you DID have the GPSS turned off on the Aspen?

I know the correct answer is to probably take it to a dealer, but trying to find a workaround on a 4 month lead time.
BTW - Although I had crazy long lead times (excess of 6 months) waiting for an avionics upgrade, when I had follow-up issues as a result of the upgrade, they did get me in fast usually within a week.

Last edited:
What was your old heading source? The Aspen like the Garmin units simulate the KI-525 HSI (see note 4 in the drawing posted above). If that was not the same output that your previous unit used, then your autopilot computer needs to be restrapped to reconfigure it for the KI-525. This is done by changing a resistor matrix in the computer, the computer will need to go to an S-tec dealer for that reconfiguration. There is usually (but not always) a sticker on the computer indicating what it is currently configured for. Was the install done by an avionics shop? It's a pretty standard part of an install involving an S-tec autopilot, so a bit surprised that would have been missed.

Something like this (though sometimes it might just be a label printer label). KCS 55A is the whole system with the KI-525A HSI, so this would be the indication you are looking for:
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 10.56.41.png

Last edited:
What was your old heading source? The Aspen like the Garmin units simulate the KI-525 HSI (see note 4 in the drawing posted above). If that was not the same output that your previous unit used, then your autopilot computer needs to be restrapped to reconfigure it for the KI-525. This is done by changing a resistor matrix in the computer, the computer will need to go to an S-tec dealer for that reconfiguration. There is usually (but not always) a sticker on the computer indicating what it is currently configured for. Was the install done by an avionics shop? It's a pretty standard part of an install involving an S-tec autopilot, so a bit surprised that would have been missed.

Something like this (though sometimes it might just be a label printer label). KCS 55A is the whole system with the KI-525A HSI, so this would be the indication you are looking for:
View attachment 116009

Bingo! That’s the info I was looking for. I found a shop that can complete this in house, so all is well. The avionics guy that I had, couldn’t and wasn’t sure about it.

View attachment 116009
Yes. I had some issues with my G5 installation and the AP that installed said that he needed to configure to a King HSI. He did that and it worked perfectly with my STEC 30.

Back