Rwy incursion?

When the tower is closed ,line up and wait is not an option.

…Where I trained we had a single runway with no full length taxiway. I can't count the number of times we landed 2 and 3 planes on the runway, rolling out all the way to the end, and then all of us turning back and back taxiing….

and I’ll bet you rode a bicycle without a helmet as a kid

Pretty standard procedure here to have several people taxi down to the end of the runway (no taxiway) and then the last guy spins around and takes off followed by the next, etc...

Pretty standard procedure here to have several people taxi down to the end of the runway (no taxiway) and then the last guy spins around and takes off followed by the next, etc...

Done this before at a few different airports. Just takes a minute to get organized.

What is effectively a "line up and wait" with no one looking for traffic behind you at a nontowered airport may not be smart but it's not illegal.
Agreed.

I feel like I have a bulls-eye painted on my back when I am on the runway at an uncontrolled airport. I like to minimize my time on the runway and do my stuff as soon as practical.

Kind of like somebody pointing a handgun at me and telling me not to worry because they tell me it is unloaded.

Home plate for me has probably the highest concentration of student pilots in Maine. Actually, no probably about it. Never felt comfortable LUAW there and by extension anywhere for previously stated reasons and having seen students do some very random, scary stuff. Most can be attributed to learning mistakes, but if it is serious I always politely mention it on the radio and point it out to their instructor after.

i wouldn’t get my knickers in a knot if someone started rolling before I actually fully crossed the hold short and called it. However, if I just heard my tires chirp and they rolled…. Yeah, we gonna share a four letter(s) word!

Back