RVR or Vis?

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
Today was yet another foggy day here in Lousiana.

I never shot so many Min App before. Dam Gulf or Mexico.

The ATIS was saying 1/2 mile vis. Great, My limit, No Problem, I'll be home soon.

As I was setting up to intercept, ATC say WX 100-1/2 mile, takes a breath & says RVR 1600 runway 22.

My Jepp plate says RVR 2400 OR 1/2 mile.

Is it legal for me to start the Approach now?

Eamon

by 'your mins' Eamon, do you mean those specified in your co's op specs?
You are pt 135, yes?

Eamon said:
As I was setting up to intercept, ATC say WX 100-1/2 mile, takes a breath & says RVR 1600 runway 22.

My Jepp plate says RVR 2400 OR 1/2 mile.

I believe you legally aborted the approach and flew to Lancaster where it was CAVU. Yes?

Eamon said:
The ATIS was saying 1/2 mile vis. Great, My limit, No Problem, I'll be home soon. As I was setting up to intercept, ATC say WX 100-1/2 mile, takes a breath & says RVR 1600 runway 22. My Jepp plate says RVR 2400 OR 1/2 mile. Is it legal for me to start the Approach now?

135.225(a) is very clear that if you don't have mins, you can't start the approach. IIRC, when it says "RVR 2400 or 1/2 mile," the 1/2 mile is used as a minimum for a straight-in only if the RVR isn't reporting. Thus, with RVR 1600 reported on the runway to which you're flying the approach, you can't start the approach even if the prevailing visibility is 1/2 mile. However, I can't remember where that's written, and my books are at the office -- I'll check tomorrow morning.

Depends on your Op-Specs E. Answer to any 135 ? is its in the Ops-Specs.

Eamon said:
I'm going along with "no" because RVR is controlling. I looked for the documentation and can find it in OpsSpec C074. Does your company use that one?

It says, "Touchdown zone RVR reports, when available for a particular runway, are controlling for all approaches to and landings on that runway." It goes on to say that the mid RVR may be substituted for the TDZ RVR if the TDZ RVR is not available.

Hope this helps!

Isn't every co limited by their company's OS as the limiting document (unless it is mute on individual points, then pt135 becomes limiting)??
Heck, Eamon's 208 might have cat III authorization (well maybe not, I think I heard he flies alone)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Isn't every co limited by their company's OS as the limiting document (unless it is mute on individual points, then pt135 becomes limiting)??
This is true, but it's my understanding that there's a list of them that is "canned" and a company picks the pages they want to use. Also, some of them are very common between companies. That's why I asked if his company used that particular one. It would be numbered the same way.

Absolutely correct, Ever. OPSPECS are an a la carte kind of proposition. You request them from your POI to authorize everything you can do as a commercial operator. When you are issued OPSPEC C74 for Joe Schmoe Airlines, it's the exact same one that FEDEX gets. As an operator you also get a listing, by OPSPEC number, of all the things you are not authorized to do.

Back