RV7 Down North of Atlanta

Jeeze, this is very close to where I live and we have 2 RVs on the field. I sure hope it isn't anyone I know.

So sad :( I wish we knew the N number. I have some RV friends too. I wonder what happened. My prayers are with their families.

By all accounts the pilot was a loving family man and dedicated RV builder and the experimental community. He leaves behind children, a wife, and grieving friends.

The skies were blue and the plane was in mint condition. There are eye witnesses to the incident.

Last edited:
My heart hurts anytime I hear of a crash, but right now it is worse, with uncertainty, knowing so many RVers in the area and wondering if it is someone I know. :'(

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

Last edited:
The Forsyth County coroner identified the victims as Don Hall, 45, and David Schorr, 40, both of Cumming.

Not anyone I know, but still very sad, because as near as they are, I am certain that some of my friends know them. The peace and strength that only Jesus can give, to their families and friends.

This thread has been locked pending MC review. Please know that if feelings leak out of this thread to the rest of the board, appropriate action will be taken.

Folks, we have reopened the thread after deleting a total of 14 posts that were aimed personally at other members of PoA. We've left the posts that are on-topic. Not only do the "personal" posts violate the letter and spirit of our Rules of Conduct, they are disrespectful of the individuals that lost their lives in this tragic accident.

We are taking this opportunity to remind everyone that posts should be about the topics at hand, NOT about other individuals on this board or their behavior. If you feel that a poster is out-of-line, please alert the MC using the Bad Post button, but do not take it upon yourself to "call out" the poster.

Any posts that continue the sniping either here or in other threads should be reported and we will deal with them quickly.

Thanks for cleaning up this thread.

write-stuff, I understand you were good friends with one the men in this tragedy. I am sorry for your loss, and I feel for the families of the two men.

Sad day.

Better video here. Unfortunately it comes with the usual inane statements by reporters and bystanders.

Thank you for cleaning up the thread. :redface:

Turns out I know this guy. Never met him that I can remember right now, but he was a regular on VAF website and lots of the flyins I attend. Very sad indeed. Several of my buddies are devastated by the loss. Experimental aviation lost a dedicated pilot, builder, and family man.

There, but for the grace of God go I.

Let's be carefully out there.

I never met him but am told he was a member of our EAA Chapter. May have seen him once at a pancake breakfast but was probably not introduced to him. Very sad.

I never met him but am told he was a member of our EAA Chapter. May have seen him once at a pancake breakfast but was probably not introduced to him. Very sad.

Randy, have any reasonable theories emerged as to the cause of this accident?

Randy, have any reasonable theories emerged as to the cause of this accident?

None that I've heard other than some speculation from one of our chapter members that probably isn't worth mentioning.

He was very near the lake, don't know how low though. It certainly did go in nose first since they had to dig the prop and spinner out of the ground.

Very sad in any case. Everyone says the guy was a good pilot and the plane was immaculate.

I'm not sure why, but I thought of this today. Was a year ago, this past Friday. Probable cause with link to full narrative is here. Something as simple as a power-off stall or, in the words of the NTSB "The pilot’s failure to maintain airspeed while maneuvering, resulting in an aerodynamic stall and collision with terrain". Analysis of the information from the AF-3500EE that was installed in the aircraft is interesting. Does 59 knots power-off stall for an RV7 sound about right? Sounds like he got slow and let a wing drop.

I went back looking for the report hoping that I would learn something. Basics - airspeed and altitude are important...

It's always sad when people are lost in an accident .May they rest in peace.condolances to the family's and friends.

I'm not sure why, but I thought of this today. Was a year ago, this past Friday. Probable cause with link to full narrative is here. Something as simple as a power-off stall or, in the words of the NTSB "The pilot’s failure to maintain airspeed while maneuvering, resulting in an aerodynamic stall and collision with terrain". Analysis of the information from the AF-3500EE that was installed in the aircraft is interesting. Does 59 knots power-off stall for an RV7 sound about right? Sounds like he got slow and let a wing drop.

I went back looking for the report hoping that I would learn something. Basics - airspeed and altitude are important...

Pretty sure stall in an RV-7 is 58 MPH.

Very sad.

Last edited:
Back