RV6 goes down on a school.

Thank goodness no people on the ground were injured. If this had been a hollywood version there would have been a fireball that enveloped the school and the people at the nearby playground.

Hope the NTSB investigates - would like to know what caused this.

This happened about 10 minutes from my studio.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17257851

Lots of misinformation in the report... "Lycoming model, dropped out of the sky like it ran out of gas..."
They've significantly updated the story, then. They no longer claim it to be a Lycoming (which probably came from someone misreading the FAA aircraft database, since it lists the engine as a Lycoming). They also have a couple of graphs in there talking to experimental plane builders and giving that side of the story.

Was it doing an overhead break? :rolleyes:

Seriosly, this (like any aviation accident, especially one with a death) is sad. Like Tim, I do hope the NTSB does enough of an investigation to determine probable cause so we can learn.

The really unfortunate thing is that it came down at a school....

Better near the school than on it. Sounds like he tried to extend his glide over the school and ran out of juice just just as he did, stall/spin and that's all she wrote.

Better near the school than on it. Sounds like he tried to extend his glide over the school and ran out of juice just just as he did, stall/spin and that's all she wrote.
Where did you get that from?

The description in the newspaper and the photo. The airplane was pointed away from the school, so it likely had passed overhead, as opposed to being on approach. It looked like it had gone through a trash compactor, suggesting a fairly steep descent. Seemed to me like a stall. I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot knew he was in trouble, saw the school, and nursed the airplane out of the way. I rather like that interpretation, as it make the pilot a hero, sacrificing himself so that no one in the school got injured. Obviously its just speculation, but that's what the internet is there for, isn't it?

The description in the newspaper and the photo. The airplane was pointed away from the school, so it likely had passed overhead, as opposed to being on approach.

If he was flying over the school in the same direction he ended up pointing, how would the airplane have ended up only inches from the wall of the school, which appears about 20' high? This would have required a vertical descent...which would have obliterated the plane beyond recognition. Seems more like he crashed short of the school heading TOWARD it, and got spun around during the crash.

"My daughter gets so freaked out by the littlest things," she said.

Poor little girl will probably need therapy, 24-hour coddling, attention, and gobs of Prozac. Will probably need to be homeschooled now. ;)

Last edited:
If he was flying over the school in the same direction he ended up pointing, how would the airplane have ended up only inches from the wall of the school, which appears about 20' high? This would have required a vertical descent...which would have obliterated the plane beyond recognition. Seems more like he crashed short of the school heading TOWARD it, and got spun around during the crash.

Wreckage was pointed almost straight, and was several feet, not inches away from the school. Didn't look like there was any centripetal force from a turning motion. Had it cartwheeled I don't think it'd look like that. Get an airplane into a good stall it'll come down right quick.

Again, only my speculations. Just glad he didn't hit the school. RIP an RV pilot. Won't help the fatal accident rate either.

Wreckage was pointed almost straight, and was several feet, not inches away from the school. Didn't look like there was any centripetal force from a turning motion. Had it cartwheeled I don't think it'd look like that. Get an airplane into a good stall it'll come down right quick.

Again, only my speculations. Just glad he didn't hit the school. RIP an RV pilot. Won't help the fatal accident rate either.

I don't think so. Let's say he just barely cleared the roof of the school in a full stall....his forward speed would still be close to 50 mph. Think of the descent angle. It's far from vertical. Would have been a lot further away than even a few feet. From the pics, the tail did appear to be almost touching the school.

I am more concerned about the "people familiar with aviation who speculating that because the plane ran out fuel, it went straight down." Now I am no expert in aviation but I am familiar with it, and I have yet to see that it was in fact fuel that give aircraft lift. Without they simply lose all lift and fall out of sky. Can one of the "people familiar with aviation" from that report tell us how they came to that conclusion?

Last edited:

So this guy has completed the AF or FAA Accident Invetigation School? :mad2::mad2::mad2:

It's final resting position has no correlation to how it got there. :nono:

Never trust a news paper. A Republican paper will report a car ran off the road and hit a tree, the Demogratic paper will tell you the tree jumped in front of the car.

Last edited:
So this guy has completed the AF or FAA Accident Invetigation School? :mad2::mad2::mad2:

No, just uses the number three rule in winning an internet argument: ;)

3. Be the last one standing. Every time someone raises a question or disputes your data free research shout them down and keep repeating your "facts" until everyone gets tired of the whole circus and moves on to "which airplane should I buy?"

Never trust a news paper. A Republican paper will report a car ran off the road and hit a tree, the Demogratic paper will tell you the tree jumped in front of the car.
I have no idea what a "Demogratic" paper is, but if you are trying to paint one political party as more truthful than another. I think you should take that to the SZ, it has no place in this thread.

Airport runway is less than a mile, in the opposite direction that the plane is pointing. I just looked at the barricades that were put around the accident site........on the way home this evening, as I live very close. Apparently, he did make calls to either KSLC ATC or U42 traffic.......or both.... without mentioniong any problem. He may have been in contact with ATC, since it borders, and is right underneath Class B airspace.

Since I know the area well. I would have continued in the direction towards the airport, if it was an engine or fuel related problem. Reversing course the other way, is just more subdivisions. There is a six lane highway right next to the school. I have no idea of what the traffic was.

It's still too bad, never the less. RIP

L.Adamson

I have no idea what a "Demogratic" paper is, but if you are trying to paint one political party as more truthful than another. I think you should take that to the SZ, it has no place in this thread.

All I am saying, you can never trust what you read in a newspaper.
The reporters are not subject matter experts, and the new breed of reporter does not know how to research.

News papers take on the personality of their owners political bent.

All I am saying, you can never trust what you read in a newspaper.
The reporters are not subject matter experts, and the new breed of reporter does not know how to research.
Hey, what do you call google.com, if not research!? :sigh:

It sounded more like the mom was the one who was freaked out and probably gets her kid upset more than anything else.

Haha. Ya think?

One could tie all of this back to the general state of panic and paranoia that the media fosters, but that's obvious and too easy at this point.

Every soccer mom is interviewed like they're an expert on all possible risks their children have in life, while mom and dad are over their heads in debt and teaching their good little "consumers" to covet shiny electronic objects.

Sorry... I'm so annoyed with our society and it's loss of the ability to teach kids that "If you want that, you will have to give up something else", I want to scream.

The Country wants "security" right now, but has no idea the costs, both monetary and what it does to our ability to innovate, take risks, live life.

Last edited:
Haha. Ya think?

One could tie all of this back to the general state of panic and paranoia that the media fosters, but that's obvious and too easy at this point.

Every soccer mom is interviewed like they're an expert on all possible risks their children have in life, while mom and dad are over their heads in debt and teaching their good little "consumers" to covet shiny electronic objects.

Sorry... I'm so annoyed with our society and it's loss of the ability to teach kids that "If you want that, you will have to give up something else", I want to scream.

The Country wants "security" right now, but has no idea the costs, both monetary and what it does to our ability to innovate, take risks, live life.

+1 :thumbsup:

No, I was giving my opinion, the genesis of which I described.

Is that why every NTSB report has a detailed description of the airplane's position and condition at rest. Silly me!

Picture is worth a thousand words, unless those words are coming from yours truly, or so it seems.

Is that why every NTSB report has a detailed description of the airplane's position and condition at rest. Silly me!
That is standard reporting for the NTSB. Those along with a ton of other details are recorded and noted by the investigators. Sometimes they matter, other times they are just non-pertinent details, but when the investigator is first examining the scene they do not know what is important and what isn't so they record everything.

That is standard reporting for the NTSB. Those along with a ton of other details are recorded and noted by the investigators. Sometimes they matter, other times they are just non-pertinent details, but when the investigator is first examining the scene they do not know what is important and what isn't so they record everything.

Except that:

If the latter is true, why do the former?

Except that:

If the latter is true, why do the former?
The truth is.....neither one of you know whether or not it matters in this case.

I think Bill was just pointing out that without more info, you can't make that determination that you were attempting to without further information.

The truth is.....neither one of you know whether or not it matters in this case.

I think Bill was just pointing out that without more info, you can't make that determination that you were attempting to without further information.

I can speculate all I like. It is a free country.

It's final resting position has no correlation to how it got there..

Simmer. All Bill was saying is that just because an airplane came to rest in one direction doesn't mean it was flying that direction when it crashed. You were implying the plane flew OVER the school building and crashed about a foot from it, because it was pointing that way. If he flew THROUGH the building and crashed through the exterior wall, then maybe he would have ended up facing the same direction he was flying when he crashed. ;) Otherwise, he defeated some laws of physics.

Back