RV4 down near Tallahassee, Naval Aviator

WBI Flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Groundhog
Got a message from one of our friends that they lost two cousins last night in this crash. - I don't know anything other than what is on the news.

Interesting. The pilot's name doesn't seem to match up with anyone in the FAA database. The passenger does show up as a student.

Wonder if he actually completed the paperwork to get his FAA certificate.

Last edited:
May they rest in peace. Could be another case of overconfidence.

I flew a 421 through that line an hr before they did.
moderate ice at 17K so we defended to 7K. it was a rough ride and the ceiling was very very low. Aircraft were diverting everywhere, landing at VFR airports to wait it out and the controllers were very busy trying to help. Why someone would try to go through it in a light aircraft and at 1000 foot is beyond me. Black rolling clouds right down to the ground with a 20 F difference from the front to the back, Nasty stuff!!! A shame, just wait till the line passes. Its clear blue and a million right behind the front! Be a day late and fly in VACU.

Interesting. The pilot's name doesn't seem to match up with anyone in the FAA database. The passenger does show up as a student.

I've seen reports that he had just completed his military competence exams to be a CFI so it might not show up in the database yet. Supposedly he did that just so he could train her (she was his cousin) and she could get her license during the winter break from college.

I've seen reports that he had just completed his military competence exams to be a CFI so it might not show up in the database yet. Supposedly he did that just so he could train her (she was his cousin) and she could get her license during the winter break from college.

Bummer.:(

moderate ice at 17K so we defended to 7K. it was a rough ride and the ceiling was very very low. Aircraft were diverting everywhere, landing at VFR airports to wait it out and the controllers were very busy trying to help. Why someone would try to go through it in a light aircraft and at 1000 foot is beyond me. Black rolling clouds right down to the ground with a 20 F difference from the front to the back, Nasty stuff!!! A shame, just wait till the line passes. Its clear blue and a million right behind the front! Be a day late and fly in VACU.

What time on the 17th? I flew GA to MS and back. 0700lcl on the way out and 1700lcl on the way back. I didn't pay attention to what the line was doing when I landed in MS. It was a pretty smooth ride through the weather and I hardly did any diverting.

Actually I usually fly through anything like that there below as well, however I don't do it at night. I get through the Pan-Florida front lines by picking my way between the heavy cells VFR underneath and usually have a decent ride through even when airliners are sitting on the ground because of it. But it takes Day VFR or a radar to do it.

Early reports listed his name as William but now I am seeing his name listed as James. The plane was registered to James H Swiggart who has an ATP AMEL and commercial ASEL.

Back