RV12 First Impressions

A single display glass panel and no backup instruments? Is this a day VFR only plane?

If it's not, that's just... crazy.

If it's built to conform to LSA and you're flying it LSA, frankly you really could get by without ANY instruments, VFR, short range, slow aircraft with low power, not sure the need for a full IFR panel, or even the ball, the thing is so small you should easily be able to feel the ball, heck just tape a string to the windshield and remember how much fuel you put in and you should be GTG lol

We are building one with some HS kids, we will be only the 2nd sale with the new and improved fuselage. You can see our progress here: www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Good job. I love seeing these programs going. Our RV-12 project is being built by adult members of the chapter. Our youth are building an Ultra-Lite Piet, Full Scale Piet and a BD-6. We grant credits for Flight training with the hours they put in building. youth.eaa690.net

We are planning on putting the RV-12 in a flying club when it is completed.

I guess if all you're going do it fly around he patch, then an LSA is just fine, and like I said, the RV12 is easily the best of the bunch. But to me an airplane is meant for travel.
Yeah, I hear that a lot. There's LSA, and then there's LSA. If you compare an RV-12 to a Mooney speeds and payload, then cross country travel in the 12 is going to be disappointing. On the other hand... if you can no longer fly the Mooney, the 12 is a pretty good way to go. Beats the hell out of driving, that's for sure. I agree, an airplane is meant for travel. That's why I own an RV-12 and not a Champ or Ercoupe.

Yeah, I hear that a lot. There's LSA, and then there's LSA. If you compare an RV-12 to a Mooney speeds and payload, then cross country travel in the 12 is going to be disappointing. On the other hand... if you can no longer fly the Mooney, the 12 is a pretty good way to go. Beats the hell out of driving, that's for sure. I agree, an airplane is meant for travel. That's why I own an RV-12 and not a Champ or Ercoupe.
If I can no longer fly the Mooney, then I can no longer fly.

My 150 is a real airplane, and I do travel in it occasionally, and the RV-12 beats it's performance in about every category. On a trip to Chicago, even a slow plane like mine makes the trip in half the time of driving, so not sure what's the reason to consider LSAs not useful for travel. Depends on mission like every other airplane choice.

My 150 is a real airplane, and I do travel in it occasionally, and the RV-12 beats it's performance in about every category. On a trip to Chicago, even a slow plane like mine makes the trip in half the time of driving, so not sure what's the reason to consider LSAs not useful for travel. Depends on mission like every other airplane choice.
When I was flying my 150 I felt similarly. All I can say is when you step up to a more capable aircraft you’ll understand.

When I was flying my 150 I felt similarly. All I can say is when you step up to a more capable aircraft you’ll understand.

I’ve flown and owned more capable aircraft, and I don’t understand.

I still find joy in flying fast, flying slow, flying high and flying low.

I’d say your perspective limits you, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Don't forget too we always preach about buying the plane for your mission. 99% of the time I'm solo and flying within 250 miles of home base. Flying to totality was a 3 hour trip each way and a day off work. https://skyvector.com/?ll=36.129888...9359&chart=301&zoom=5&fpl= KTZR 0I8 64KY KCSV That's just plane fun. Twice a year the speed would be a big advantage if the WX cooperated, but then I wouldn't have the room to bring along all my gear like I do in my 172 w/ the back seat out and a co-pilot buddy in the right. A smaller or faster airplane just doesn't fit my mission profile on my budget. More HP does - I dream of a 172 w/ more oomph.

Our Eaa chapter has a kids build program,that has built one and is now working on a second one. It’s a popular model for the college aviation programs to build.

We miss living up there. We were 4 miles outside of BR on Aska Rd, around 2300'. 130s flying that route often came right over the house. ****ing airplanes, can't get away rom them. lol
I know what you mean. I live right outside Dobbins. Hercs go over my house every day. I love it!

I know what you mean. I live right outside Dobbins. Hercs go over my house every day. I love it!

LOL yeah that's where the 130s came from, Dobbins. Occasionally F18s, I guess from Dobbins too back then anyway. Marine Reserves jets.

LOL yeah that's where the 130s came from, Dobbins. Occasionally F18s, I guess from Dobbins too back then anyway. Marine Reserves jets.

Used to be F-15s as well. Callsign “Peach.” MGE is boring these days.:D

Used to be F-15s as well. Callsign “Peach.” MGE is boring these days.:D

When I lived up there that unit had moved onto the "Bones" down at Robins. Liked to have seen one those skimming the tree tops and a rooster trails over Lake Blue Ridge! :yes:

When I lived up there that unit had moved onto the "Bones" down at Robins. Liked to have seen one those skimming the tree tops and a rooster trails over Lake Blue Ridge! :yes:

Yep. Kept the Peach callsign too. Worked one on approach one day. Popped up off the MTR, requested a TACAN Low approach at the air station, IFR pick up back to WRB. Strange, that was the only B-1 I ever worked in ATC.

Yep. Kept the Peach callsign too. Worked one on approach one day. Popped up off the MTR, requested a TACAN Low approach at the air station, IFR pick up back to WRB. Strange, that was the only B-1 I ever worked in ATC.

Most of them were stationed out west, I think GaANG was the only Guard unit to ever fly them. I know they're up at Ellsworth AFB now. I don't think I ever worked one at all.

Most of them were stationed out west, I think GaANG was the only Guard unit to ever fly them. I know they're up at Ellsworth AFB now. I don't think I ever worked one at all.

Think you’re right. Don’t know of any other ANG unit that ever flew B-1s. They didn’t last long with GANG either. Just think they were too darn expensive for them.

Back