RV Vans Owners

I won't dive into anything that could kill me without some practice, first.
Flying into weather is more likely to kill you than less than perfect rivets.
But, of course, it's a lot of work to not have it look nice.

Suggest looking into Synergy Aircraft. They conduct one day RV Build training sessions and also offer a two week builder assist sessions on the empennage/tail section. They have locations in Newnan, Ga and Eugene, Oregon. Great place to learn what tools you need and how to use them. The day long class is $250.

There is a reason they are called HOME built aircraft. Most early designs took the fact that you might build in a basement or spare room into the design.

Composite homebuilts allowed you to make large sections then glue them together at a hanger when you wre doing final assembly.

Many built aircraft in one car garages... kitplanes used to be full of articles about how to arrange a garage for a build. But thats when Kitplanes was about actually building, not the drivel they put out now.

Glad to hear you're gonna keep on keeping on. In a 2 year detached garage remodel myself. Putting an apartment/mancave above. Raised the bottom half. Took a chainsaw to the old walls. New foundation. New taller walls. Bigger garage doors. Then took off the roof and upper half. New subfloor. New walls. New roof. New deck. Working on plumbing now. Burn out is a thing. I'm feeling it now. 2 years working alone. Come home from work and go back to work. What kills me is paralysis by analysis and I'll waste an hour on my phone because I want something perfect. You've got the added burden, if you want to call it that, of filming while you're working. Sometimes you gotta change it up, take a break, or get someone to give you a hand to find more motivation.

Plus some of the fuselage skins. I was thinking about this today and figured I probably needed 30 hours of help for all of the stuff on the RV-10 I couldn't rivet solo. The RV-6 wasn't much different.
I'm curious...for that estimated 30 hours of helper time.... would most of that be..."hey sweetie come out and hold this for me.... it'll only take 5 minutes"
or is it more like "hey man, can you come over for an hour or two"?

I'm an independent type that can usually figure out how to do things on my own. With almost every project I've ever worked on..home repair, remodeling, car repair..or whatever I rarely need much help beyond the "just hold this for a minute"....but that really does make the jobs take longer.

I'm curious...for that estimated 30 hours of helper time.... would most of that be..."hey sweetie come out and hold this for me.... it'll only take 5 minutes" or is it more like "hey man, can you come over for an hour or two"?

Some of both. To rivet some/many of the rivets on a big skin usually requires a helper. There are 8 big skins on the typical wing set and about that many on a fuselage. If you're efficient, you can probably do the "helper needed" portion of a big skin in an hour. If you're inefficient, it'll take twice that long. And there are certainly 5 minute periods where you need a helping hand from time to time.

I love watching YouTube videos of people building them, but every time I get an itch to do it an ice cold wind blows across my soul. Not for me, I’m sorry to say.

Back