RV Trailer - As annoying as airplane when broken

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Heh. Fighting with a brake problem on the new 5th wheel.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16166

Then I come home tonight and find this...

senymu9u.jpg

%**+!<%^!!!!!

So are you saying that an RV is more of a problem than a certified trailer?

:D

Maybe a zoom-drive will work.

Get a cross tie, or a wood beam, a big one and cut it with a chainsaw into a wedge. Make it about three feet long. Then you can drive that tandem up on it with the good tire. It takes a lot of pressure off the flat, and sometimes lifts it off the ground for you.

I carry one. It doubles as a jack pad. :)

Last edited:
All you need are two pieces of 2x4 and drive over it to change the tire .
As far as brakes the control needs to be adjusted .

All you need are two pieces of 2x4 and drive over it to change the tire .

As far as brakes the control needs to be adjusted .

The control has been adjusted from zero to what the manufacturer calls "130%". (Yes, I find it stupid too.)

More braking at 130% but no tire lockup on the trailer. The adjustment does not go any higher than 130%.

check the battery. The house battery. Sounds stupid but I was having a problem once and the diagnosed it to the battery. I put a new one in and was skidding my tires everywhere. If batt is new then check all the electrical connections for corrosion.

Attachments

• DSCN3668.JPG
    DSCN3668.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3669.JPG
    DSCN3669.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3670.JPG
    DSCN3670.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 66
I like RVs, I think they're cool, but my Dad wanted to buy an RV, and my mom said 'over my dead body, there's no way I'm being a maid on the road.'

She rationalized it that for the sixty, seventy, or eighty thousand he was going to spend on one, they could travel round the world first class and stay in the finest hotels on room service. Ever since then, I've looked at RV's out of the side of my neck ...

RV's let you go places and all, but man when I look at them, I see a lot of work. It's not the money so much as the work that keeps me shy. :redface:

Last edited:
check the battery. The house battery. Sounds stupid but I was having a problem once and the diagnosed it to the battery. I put a new one in and was skidding my tires everywhere. If batt is new then check all the electrical connections for corrosion.

Battery shouldn't be in the loop unless the safety brake is activated, and the manual clearly says to disconnect the tow vehicle before testing the safety brakes.

But many people don't, and burn up the diodes or voltage regulators in the safety brake controller or their TV brake controller. That can create strange loops if they fail closed instead of open. I wonder if someone did that to yours?

Safety brake system works ok, BTW. Already tested. All brake's electromagnets humming with TV disconnected and safety pulled so current can flow from the coach battery to the brakes directly.

Snow and whiteout conditions in high winds here today, so not in any hurry to swap the flat tire or do any other testing yet. Heh. :)

Welcome to the club

Heh. You like your Jeep too much to tow it on its own wheels. I like your Jeep too. :)

Looks like it got the rim on your wheel a bit there. Was it reusable or did you have to replace it?

Heh. You like your Jeep too much to tow it on its own wheels. I like your Jeep too. :)

Looks like it got the rim on your wheel a bit there. Was it reusable or did you have to replace it?

nope we up graded rims and tires, I normally tow 4 down. the jeep does great behind the RV as long as you know that you can exceed the turn radius of the jeep in tight turns, and you can't back up. That weekend was not a normal weekend trip, we needed the extra carry capacity of the trailer, so the jeep and the toys got loaded.

normally

Attachments

• DSCN2961.JPG
    DSCN2961.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN2990.JPG
    DSCN2990.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 36
nope we up graded rims and tires, I normally tow 4 down. the jeep does great behind the RV as long as you know that you can exceed the turn radius of the jeep in tight turns, and you can't back up. That weekend was not a normal weekend trip, we needed the extra carry capacity of the trailer, so the jeep and the toys got loaded.

normally

Neighbor of mine once towed home an old International 4X4. After he proceeded to back it up about 150 feet into his property, (still on the towbar)I went over and asked him how the hell he did that. You can't do that, I told him.

His reply was "Oh, nobody ever told me that" :sosp:

normally

Nice of that car to tailgate you. Ha. Sheesh. That isn't even a car length.

Nice of that car to tailgate you. Ha. Sheesh. That isn't even a car length.

No we were parked at the overlook. the kids were following us on the North Cascade Highway. (US 20)

No we were parked at the overlook. the kids were following us on the North Cascade Highway. (US 20)

Oh! LOL!

I was kinda wondering how you got an action shot and who took it. Ha.

Looks like you're in a passing lane not parking at first glance. :)

I usually don't have tailgaters. I have "nosegaters". Cars live to go around large vehicles because they get the impression that because you're big, you're also slow. Then they dive in front of you when they realize they're doing 15 over and can't finish passing.

So they goose it and put themselves a foot in front of the bumper of 20,000 lbs of rolling crap that will have no choice but to crush their econobox if they slam on their brakes before I can back off of the moron.

People are incredibly stupid.

Oh! LOL!

I was kinda wondering how you got an action shot and who took it. Ha.

Looks like you're in a passing lane not parking at first glance. :)

I usually don't have tailgaters. I have "nosegaters". Cars live to go around large vehicles because they get the impression that because you're big, you're also slow. Then they dive in front of you when they realize they're doing 15 over and can't finish passing.

So they goose it and put themselves a foot in front of the bumper of 20,000 lbs of rolling crap that will have no choice but to crush their econobox if they slam on their brakes before I can back off of the moron.

People are incredibly stupid.

This is why we run with a dash cam recording every thing.

Next issue is to find a way to watch the trailer tires both sides while we drive. We didn't know the trailer tire was ruined until a driver behind us ran up and told us about it at a stop light. Fortunately we were a block away from a tire service center.

This is why we run with a dash cam recording every thing.

Next issue is to find a way to watch the trailer tires both sides while we drive. We didn't know the trailer tire was ruined until a driver behind us ran up and told us about it at a stop light. Fortunately we were a block away from a tire service center.

I'm going to put TPMS and temperature sensors on both the truck and the trailer. Seems pretty cheap insurance to know when a tire is overheating or airing down while rolling.

I'm going to put TPMS and temperature sensors on both the truck and the trailer. Seems pretty cheap insurance to know when a tire is overheating or airing down while rolling.

TPMS how accurate are they, are they a real alternative ???

Some people swear by them. Haven't seen a whole lot that swear at them. Generally makes me think they work.

Most folks who do swear at them install a signal repeater and report that they should have done it sooner.

Makes sense to me. Transmitters on valve stems running off of coin batteries must be weak weak weak by the time they reach a receiver in the tow vehicle. Adding a powered repeater on the trailer or rear of the TV fixes all that.

There's about eight manufacturers. I'm leaning toward a model that one sells exclusively through Camping World for one feature... It's the only one smart enough that their engineers included an "unhitched" button so when you drop the trailer, it stops bothering you with lost sensor alarms.

One guy recently says he got a lost sensor alarm going down the road, pulled over, and found he had lost the whole wheel and tire to forgetting to tighten lugs. LOL

I ordered a ten sensor set for the M/H and jeep/trailer.
$500.00

I ordered a ten sensor set for the M/H and jeep/trailer.

$500.00

Cool! Which one? They all do seem a little proud of them considering the whole thing probably cost $80 to make in China. Heh.

I run those on my motorhome and trailer. It went off one time on me, I pulled over and was able to still hear the oar coming out of one of the trailer tires. Money well spent. I had visions on the tire tearing up the fender and slapping my boat around.

I run those on my motorhome and trailer. It went off one time on me, I pulled over and was able to still hear the oar coming out of one of the trailer tires. Money well spent. I had visions on the tire tearing up the fender and slapping my boat around.

Blow a inside dual on my coach, it will tear things up, like my holding tank compartment. that could be a real mess to clean up.

the average cost to repair the Newmar when this happens is around $3000.00

Yep. My wife is a insurance agent, have seen too many pictures of blown tires and damage. Most of the time it's RV owners who don't replace tires due to age, not all of the time but most of the time. Maintance to them is over rated. Like my wife says, insurance companies do pay for stupidity.

Yep. My wife is a insurance agent, have seen too many pictures of blown tires and damage. Most of the time it's RV owners who don't replace tires due to age, not all of the time but most of the time. Maintance to them is over rated. Like my wife says, insurance companies do pay for stupidity.

Making tires that only last 5 years, is a horrific fraud, these coach tires are 4 years old. and have less than 20k on them. and the cost is about 660 each X 6. real bummer.

Trust me, I feel your pain. Getting ready to replace my 6 tires too. They don't give away 245/70r19.5 tires. Like you very low mileage.

Trust me, I feel your pain. Getting ready to replace my 6 tires too. They don't give away 245/70r19.5 tires. Like you very low mileage.

When I bought the coach in 2009, the tires were 11 years old, they looked great, but 1500 miles later they showed side wall crazing that you could see chords, I panicked.

Back