RV Formation Flying Clinic

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I attended a weekend long RV formation clinic put on by KC Flight out of Lee's Summit , MO this weekend. I never knew you could get sore flying. :lol: I have never worked so hard and sweated so much doing any thing aviation related as I did this weekend. But I would do it again in a heart beat. What a great time!

We started out with a mission brief and what to expect in the 40-45 minute flights. We were in formation until engine shut down. Amazingly disciplined, professional, and fun group of guys to hang out with and learn formation flying. It isn't for the faint of heart or timid. :no:

The next step is for me to get good enough to fly solo with them as I need a safety pilot now. After that the next phase is formation take offs & landings. Yes, they take off and land 2 abreast 8 seconds apart. :yikes:

I learned a lot, was humbled, and I have a new found respect for the guys who are dedicated and proficient at this form of flying.

And I also learned the proper way to do an overhead break! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Congrats,the RV group is getting bigger all the time.

Stu "Sturdy" McCurdy has done a brilliant job bringing formation safety and standardization to the RV and several other light plane communities. As Geico said, it's a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work. If you have the desire and feel you can muster the dedication, give it a whirl. For more information on what type clubs besides the RV's are conducting formation training clinics, contact Sturdy at:

Stuart McCurdy
Formation Flight, Inc.
3509 Gattis School Rd
Round Rock, TX 78664

I attended a weekend long RV formation clinic put on by KC Flight out of Lee's Summit , MO this weekend. I never knew you could get sore flying. :lol: I have never worked so hard and sweated so much doing any thing aviation related as I did this weekend. But I would do it again in a heart beat. What a great time!

We started out with a mission brief and what to expect in the 40-45 minute flights. We were in formation until engine shut down. Amazingly disciplined, professional, and fun group of guys to hang out with and learn formation flying. It isn't for the faint of heart or timid. :no:

The next step is for me to get good enough to fly solo with them as I need a safety pilot now. After that the next phase is formation take offs & landings. Yes, they take off and land 2 abreast 8 seconds apart. :yikes:

I learned a lot, was humbled, and I have a new found respect for the guys who are dedicated and proficient at this form of flying.

And I also learned the proper way to do an overhead break! :rolleyes:
Did your throttle hand cramp up like most newbies?

Did your throttle hand cramp up like most newbies?

Yes! And the tops of my forearms! I was way too tense. So much to learn and take in. I had 2 different safety pilots who did a great job demonstrating and explaining. They say I did okay and I should keep going, but I was not happy with myself. Very humbling experience. I was told to check the ego at the door. They were right.

The extended in trail "follow the leader" was a riot. :yes:

Back