RV-9A

Here's what happens...
Lucky he was in a nice draggy Cub so the airspeed barely hit the stop.

What does G rating have to do with spin recovery?

I would think the potential difficulty with spins is the recovery from the unfamiliarly nose low attitude when the recovery is initiated. This may result in an excessive pull on the stick and an resulting high loads or a secondary stall - lather, rinse, repeat.

I would think the potential difficulty with spins is the recovery from the unfamiliarly nose low attitude when the recovery is initiated. This may result in an excessive pull on the stick and an resulting high loads or a secondary stall - lather, rinse, repeat.

that is the big risk in a RV-9. RV's build speed very fast, and are very responsive. with my RV-4 all you need to do in a spin recovery is release some of the back stick (plus opposite rudder of course) an it is flying again. adding to much forward stick will get you going down hill with rising speed very quickly, then with the OH S..T! factor, a possible very fast G load with the resulting pull that comes next.

also, van has in the past recommended against spinning the RV-6. here is a SB he wrote about it.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2002/06/sb02-6-1.pdf

Back