RV-6A down, Show Low AZ KSOW

That one had my heart going. One of my hangar neighbors owns an RV-6 and flies to Show Low quite regularly.

It wasn't him. I've already lost one friend this year, don't want to lose another one. :(

I'll never get used to pilots killing kids on ride alongs. Always a gut punch to read, even when total strangers. It is the one thing about flying that makes me second guess the whole thing.

I'll never get used to pilots killing kids on ride alongs. Always a gut punch to read, even when total strangers. It is the one thing about flying that makes me second guess the whole thing.

If there was something wrong with the pilot or the plane prior to the flight, I agree with you. Otherwise, you can use the same argument for any activity.

By the name contained in the article, this appears to be the pilot in question. Medical is expired and no basic med. I don’t believe an RV-6A qualifies for sport pilot. This pilot seems to have been operating illegally without a valid medical.
E4956227-B6F7-4983-947D-11793117035E.jpeg

By the name contained in the article, this appears to be the pilot in question. Medical is expired and no basic med. I don’t believe an RV-6A qualifies for sport pilot. This pilot seems to have been operating illegally without a valid medical.

I'm no expert on this, but I think he and the airplane would qualify under BasicMed.

I'm no expert on this, but I think he and the airplane would qualify under BasicMed.

Qualify yes. But he failed to complete the requirements to operate using basic med.

Qualify yes. But he failed to complete the requirements to operate using basic med.
It's possible that his record has not been updated. It's happened before.

Nauga,
lost in the shuffle

I'd love an interactive tool to comb through NTSB accidents. Anecdotally it sure seems like when you take out people flying "illegally" (lapsed medicals, unworthy airplanes, substance abuse, flying in conditions they aren't certified for, etc) the remainder is a small fraction of the total.

I'm assuming you're a Raising Arizona fan. Always good to see another one. If you don't know what I'm talking about, disregard.

I'm assuming you're a Raising Arizona fan. Always good to see another one. If you don't know what I'm talking about, disregard.
“Fan” might be a bit of an understatement…

I'd love an interactive tool to comb through NTSB accidents. Anecdotally it sure seems like when you take out people flying "illegally" (lapsed medicals, unworthy airplanes, substance abuse, flying in conditions they aren't certified for, etc) the remainder is a small fraction of the total.

I'm on the road, no access to my databases, but the short answer is "no". Accidents occur when pilots make mistakes, accidents occur when the machinery breaks, and sometimes substances or medical conditions contribute. But the latter aren't that common.

I posted a summary on a recent similar thread.

Ron Wanttaja

I'm on the road, no access to my databases, but the short answer is "no". Accidents occur when pilots make mistakes, accidents occur when the machinery breaks, and sometimes substances or medical conditions contribute. But the latter aren't that common.

I posted a summary on a recent similar thread.

Ron Wanttaja
Would love to see the link if you can dig it out. All of the above can be true without contradicting what I've said. Obviously flying without a license/medical, etc are all mistakes.

Obviously flying without a license/medical, etc are all mistakes.

But generally, they don't cause crashes. Decision making and the motor skills (or lack thereof) are the primary reasons airplanes crash.

Certified aviation, particularly in the US, Canada, and other countries that give a **** is a pretty well figured out and fairly safe endeavor. I have no data to back up this hunch but deconstructing your statement...
I Anecdotally it sure seems like when you take out people flying "illegally" (lapsed medicals, unworthy airplanes, substance abuse, flying in conditions they aren't certified for, etc) the remainder is a small fraction of the total.
unairworthy airplanes* -- this problem seems self-explanatory.
substance abuse -- ditto
flying in conditions they aren't certified for* -- ditto

*Now admittedly, there are "paper" problems and "real" problems-- but people who fly without taking care of the paperwork are also showing poor management skills so there is that...

Obviously flying without a license/medical, etc are all mistakes.
But generally, they don't cause crashes. Decision making and the motor skills (or lack thereof) are the primary reasons airplanes crash.
BUT, Poor decision making can play a part in why a pilot would not have a license / medical. Years ago I read about someone who had 250 or so hours in an airplane he bought. But this guy never bothered to complete getting a private licence. Basically he thought he knew everything that he would need to know to fly this one particular airplane so why bother... Not that the FAA's medical exams are cutting edge or anything, if you never get one you may be flying with an undiagnosed issue. Or more likely flying with a known issue you don't want documented.

Would love to see the link if you can dig it out. All of the above can be true without contradicting what I've said. Obviously flying without a license/medical, etc are all mistakes.

See if this link works:

https://www.kitplanes.com/homebuilt-accidents-the-pilots-condition/

If not, just search "kitplanes incapacitation wanttaja"

In short, over ~22 years and ~4200 homebuilt accidents, only 3% involved incapacitation due to medical or substance issues.

The graphic of the effect of sport pilot is included.

Ron Wanttaja

BUT, Poor decision making can play a part in why a pilot would not have a license / medical. Years ago I read about someone who had 250 or so hours in an airplane he bought. But this guy never bothered to complete getting a private licence. Basically he thought he knew everything that he would need to know to fly this one particular airplane so why bother... Not that the FAA's medical exams are cutting edge or anything, if you never get one you may be flying with an undiagnosed issue. Or more likely flying with a known issue you don't want documented.
The thing is after 250 hours that guy ended up with a lot more experience and skill than any freshly minted PP holder would ever hope.
Clearly not a good idea to emulate since you are basically plying a game of Russian roulette with your life but once you are up to 250 hours or so , if you get in trouble , it will be due to other factors than not having a certificate…

Back