RV-6A crash/fire near Yuma, AZ

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
I believe we passed him today on our way to Brown. The time of the article seems to be wonky. It’s 1:17P as I am writing this.

No idea WTF! RIP.

https://www.azfamily.com/2022/09/17/pilot-passenger-dead-after-firey-plane-crash-outside-yuma/

DATELAND, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - A pilot and a passenger are dead after a plane crashed outside Yuma on Friday.

The plane was found by an Arizona Department of Public Safety officer around 1:50 p.m. near Interstate 8 and Spot Road, fully engulfed in flames. Yuma County Sheriff’s Office deputies learned that the Vans RV-6A crashed around 1:30 p.m. while flying from Brown Field Airport in San Diego, Calif. There is no information available yet as to why the crash occurred or the identity of either victim.

Yeah it's "outside of Yuma" ... I-8 and Spot Road is 78 miles east of Yuma, and only 38 miles west of Gila Bend.

That's not far from where a friend of mine was killed a few years ago when the RV he was riding in crashed after apparently hitting a flock of pigeons at around 6,000 feet.

Yeah it's "outside of Yuma" ... I-8 and Spot Road is 78 miles east of Yuma, and only 38 miles west of Gila Bend.

That's not far from where a friend of mine was killed a few years ago when the RV he was riding in crashed after apparently hitting a flock of pigeons at around 6,000 feet.

We have reasonably effective solutions that could help with senseless and random tragedies like that … the price you pay is about 60 lbs of useful load and around $5-6k.

remind me not to do dabble in outside maneuvers. Oh wait, they suck on the body anyways. :D

Do we know the RV on this accident lost a wing?

And what would that be?

Not sure a BRS is $5-6K, but regardless, it should be considered by most owners. However, they are too proud of their piloting skills and too cheap to spend money on safety equipment.

remind me not to do dabble in outside maneuvers. Oh wait, they suck on the body anyways. :D

Do we know the RV on this accident lost a wing?

If it lost a wing this would be the first inflight breakup of a 6 that has been reported.

Not sure a BRS is $5-6K, but regardless, it should be considered by most owners. However, they are too proud of their piloting skills and too cheap to spend money on safety equipment.
I think retrofitting BRS onto an existing airframe is a little bit more involved and a little bit more expensive than you think.

OK, not a little bit. A lot.

This looks involved, but in fairness I'm a zipper suited sungod. Anything that involves bucking a rivet would qualify as involved (not difficult, involved, there is a difference in this lazy pilot's mind) :D

Did yours come with the plane or did you have it installed? If the latter, how much did it cost?

Mine came with the plane. It's about $25K total cost for a C182.

$10k for RV9 for the chute , about $6k if you go with GRS (https://www.galaxysky.cz/)
I don't have an RV-9, and professional structural analysis to determine the envelope and make me confident it will work in my airplane will cost more than that by itself.

Nauga,
and the placebo effect

Mine came with the plane. It's about $25K total cost for a C182.

So because you are not cheap, your additional money will compensate for your pilot skills that you are less than proud of?

So because you are not cheap, your additional money will compensate for your pilot skills that you are less than proud of?
Nope. I am very proud of my landing skills (won a landing contest once against lots of experienced pilots), but I know that there are many scenarios where BRS could save our lives. Many excellent pilots have died in accidents they would have survived if they had BRS.

Back