RV-4 - major damage from Ohio storm

LeonardMack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LeonardMack
Here are some photo's from Lima, Ohio where some nasty storms went through yesterday causing some pretty serious damage to my freinds Rv-4 and several other planes. What really sucks is that my freind just got the RV-4 and hadn't even had a chance to fly it himself yet. It will probably be totaled out so he will be looking for another one.

http://www.wrenfamily.org/multimedia/flying/2006-06-22/

Here are some pics at another ariport in the area too:

http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1476&stc=1

Hmm..It sure took that Baron for a ride.

Ouch! Makes me want to cry. I hope nobody was hurt. Things can always be replaced. BTW, the RV sure is a beautiful little airplane!

jangell said:
Hmm..It sure took that Baron for a ride.

Looks like a C310 sustained some damage as well. Looks to me like something fell on the tail, just out of the photo.

Frank Browne said:
Looks like a C310 sustained some damage as well. Looks to me like something fell on the tail, just out of the photo.

I guess the guy in the c310 had landed a few minutes before the storms and was pushing his plane back in the hangar as the storms hit.

As bad as the damage is it looked to be localized to only a few hangers. I'd say a tornado touched down briefly.

Richard said:
As bad as the damage is it looked to be localized to only a few hangers. I'd say a tornado touched down briefly.

They are now reporting as many as 4 tornado's touched down in the area.

First: What caused the damage to the RV? Was it flipped? Something fall on it?

If they total it out, I would be tempted to take the check and buy it back from salvage. Most of the stuff that is pictured is 90% cosmetic. If he is/knows a good RV builder, he can rebuild or just BUY most of the replacement parts - the aileron can be rebuilt, new fiberglass wingtips, new plexi canopy, new prop (with in-depth engine check if something hit it 'hard'), patch the fiberglass gear leg fairing, repair metal & buy new fiberglass rudder top, etc. Of course, that's just from looking at the pictures - it's possible that there is internal damage to the wing-spars and/or longerons that should be investigated. Other than that, it doesn't really look TOO terribly bad.

And by the way - that is a REALLY sharp looking plane. It will be a shame if SOMEONE doesn't get to fly it. :(

-Chris
RV-7A
N277DL

Back