Rusty Pilot: Some general thoughts

Mike Boehler

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Boehler
Such a popular subject lately around the GA community. I see this in the latest print publications, entire websites dedicated to it, AOPA has a giant section on it. Makes me think that more guys would like to get back in than actually ARE in.

I am one of these guys. I've been in and out many times. I've had the good fortune to find some great CFI's that got me going again in the right direction.

Some general thoughts I have on the subject:

1. I find that CFI's have a hard time with us, since there is no defined curriculum
  2. I would like to see a sign off, similar to student pilots, for solo flight without a BFR, but obviously no such provision exists.
  3. If a guy/girl decides to get back into flying, the General Aviation community can not afford to make it more difficult for him to do so.
  4. 10 hours of dual is probably pretty close regardless of your rust
  5. I would like to be signed off for pattern work only, a short CC, then a long CC before the BFR: Sound familiar?
  6. Getting a little older (I'm 51) makes me better at decision making at all aspects of life, including in the cockpit. Maybe a touch less emotional about things than when I was 24.
Of course, my thoughts mean little except I tell my instructor that this is how I'd like to proceed after my BFR, since his hands are tied.

Such a popular subject lately around the GA community. I see this in the latest print publications, entire websites dedicated to it, AOPA has a giant section on it. Makes me think that more guys would like to get back in than actually ARE in.

I am one of these guys. I've been in and out many times. I've had the good fortune to find some great CFI's that got me going again in the right direction.

1. I find that CFI's have a hard time with us, since there is no defined curriculum
  2. I would like to see a sign off, similar to student pilots, for solo flight without a BFR, but obviously no such provision exists.
  3. If a guy/girl decides to get back into flying, the General Aviation community can not afford to make it more difficult for him to do so.
  5. I would like to be signed off for pattern work only, a short CC, then a long CC before the BFR: Sound familiar?
  6. Getting a little older (I'm 51) makes me better at decision making at all aspects of life, including in the cockpit. Maybe a touch less emotional about things than when I was 24.
Of course, my thoughts mean little except I tell my instructor that this is how I'd like to proceed after my BFR, since his hands are tied.

I would recommend a plane with a parachute for you. Just in case you mess up on account of being rusty.

10 hours of dual to get flying again? :eek: You must have some serious rust. :lol:

Here are my thoughts.....

Get your medical
Get your BFR ( 3 hours tops)
Get checked out in the rental of your choice ( 2 hours tops)
Go fly

Last edited:
10 hours of dual to get flying again? :eek: You must have some serious rust. :lol:

Here are my thoughts.....

Get your medical
Get your BFR ( 3 hours tops)
Get checked out in the rental of your choice ( 2 hours tops)
Go fly

couple of thoughts on your thoughts:D

I see on this board alone that guys are taking about 10 hours, obviously depends on the rust. I took a flight with a CFI after 2 years of inactivity and he was ready to cut me loose after .8 dual. However I took another flight with another CFI after 6 years of rust but in a different make/model. Way more time required.

Way too many variables to put a "3 hrs. tops" tag on it I think.

I think more to my point, there is a guy here that hasn't flown in a LONG time, maybe 20 years. His skills may come back after 3 hours, but in order to get the BFR, there's lots of other stuff to review. He should be able to review at a pace a new student does, while soloing. Just my opinion.

It looks like, according to the threads on this board alone, that 3 hours is barely doable.

I find that CFI's have a hard time with us, since there is no defined curriculum
There is no defined curriculum because every pilot coming back from a layoff is different. The instructor must evaluate the pilot's knowledge, skill, and proficiency, and then develop an individualized training plan. If the instructor with whom you are working doesn't do that, find another instructor.

I would like to see a sign off, similar to student pilots, for solo flight without a BFR, but obviously no such provision exists.
Student pilots have no such provision, either. To be legal to fly solo, Student Pilots must have been signed off by an instructor who found them competent to act as PIC within the preceding 90 days, not the full 24 months which rated pilots can do.

10 hours of dual is probably pretty close regardless of your rust
That depends on the individual, so I wouldn't want to give that as an estimate without evaluating that individual.

I would like to be signed off for pattern work only, a short CC, then a long CC before the BFR: Sound familiar?
I'm not going to put an endorsement in someone's logbook limiting them from things for which the FAA has already cleared them. That would violate general FAA guidance to instructors. If you want to turn in your PP ticket at start over as a Student Pilot, that's fine, but I'm not going to endorse a PP for limited privileges, and I doubt any other instructor would be willing to put such a negative endorsement in someone's logbook.

I'm not going to put an endorsement in someone's logbook limiting them from things for which the FAA has already cleared them. That would violate general FAA guidance to instructors. If you want to turn in your PP ticket at start over as a Student Pilot, that's fine, but I'm not going to endorse a PP for limited privileges, and I doubt any other instructor would be willing to put such a negative endorsement in someone's logbook.

I don't think I made my thoughts as clear as I would have preferred. I wasn't suggesting breaking rules, regulations or any such treatment of my ideas.

Lets take me for example (and there are lots of examples of us out there), there was a period in my life where I hadn't flown for 5 years. Clearly the FAA has not cleared me to fly, so the restrictions are automatically in place right?

I have limited privileges as a private pilot until I get my endorsement. That seems simple enough.

I'm simply saying the law doesn't provide the CFI to endorse me on a gradual basis for privileges. I may have been fully competent to complete solo flight in the pattern but not earned the trust of the CFI to endorse me for a complete flight review.

I'm not suggesting the CFI do anything illegal, unethical or otherwise outside of his jurisdiction or comfort zone.

Also, on the curriculum subject, although all pilots must be judged on a singular, individual basis, it seems as though a curriculum for non current pilots to study would be advantageous to both student and CFI.

I've been to 5 CFI's in my time as a PP, 4 of them for currency. Not a single one has been able to give me a list of items, in black and white, that I had better re-learn or I'm not getting my endorsement. I'm sure they all had something in their heads about their expectations of me, but we took our reviews a piece at a time with little forethought beyond what to study for our next hour of flight.

I see no need for something like this.

My (worthless) data point:

I did not fly for about six or seven years, decided it was time to jump back in. Went to the doc, got the medical current, and wandered over to the local FBO.

After a standard one-hour ground, one-hour flight, the instructor was happy to sign off the BFR and let me rent any airplane in their fleet.

Either you are competant and current to act as Pilot-in-Command, or you are not.

A bit of extra instruction is never a bad thing. I've always enjoyed flying with instructors-
Sure beats sitting on the ground!

I did not fly for about six or seven years, decided it was time to jump back in. Went to the doc, got the medical current, and wandered over to the local FBO.

After a standard one-hour ground, one-hour flight, the instructor was happy to sign off the BFR and let me rent any airplane in their fleet.

Either you are competant and current to act as Pilot-in-Command, or you are not.

A bit of extra instruction is never a bad thing. I've always enjoyed flying with instructors-

wow, after 7 years of inactivity, 1 hour of dual and an hour of ground, I would classify as on the extraordinary side for a BFR and a checkout in any plane in the fleet.

I feel pretty useless after this post. thanks..

I had a similar experience to this. However, despite the BFR signoff, the experience woke me up to how rusty I was. As it was mostly book knowledge I was missing I accepted the BFR and then spent about 10 hours of my own time flying solo and practicing with another pilot and countless hours reviewing the FAR/AIM and other information.

The end result is that you may not spend all 10 hours of time with a instructor until he thinks you're good to go but you are right that you will probably spend 10 hours or so until you personally feel comfortable.

I don't think I made my thoughts as clear as I would have preferred. I wasn't suggesting breaking rules, regulations or any such treatment of my ideas.

Lets take me for example (and there are lots of examples of us out there), there was a period in my life where I hadn't flown for 5 years. Clearly the FAA has not cleared me to fly, so the restrictions are automatically in place right?
Not quite the way I see it. The FAA has cleared you to fly on the condition that you meet all recent experience requirements, including the requirement for a flight review. The flight review is given by an individual instructor, not the FAA, so the FAA is not involved in getting that flight review.

I have limited privileges as a private pilot until I get my endorsement. That seems simple enough.
That's one way of looking at it.

I'm simply saying the law doesn't provide the CFI to endorse me on a gradual basis for privileges. I may have been fully competent to complete solo flight in the pattern but not earned the trust of the CFI to endorse me for a complete flight review.
That is correct. But I don't see the point of you practicing things on which the instructor has already decided you are satisfactory before moving on to complete the rest of the flight review. It sounds too much like the Student Pilots who avoid taking the Private practical test and just want to fly solo. Neither the FAA nor the insurance companies like them very much, although there's little the FAA can do about it (but there's a lot the insurers can). In fact, I think it's the insurers you'd have the hardest time selling on your idea -- a current flight review is invariably a requirement for coverage unless you're a Student Pilot paying the sharply higher Student Pilot rates.

Also, on the curriculum subject, although all pilots must be judged on a singular, individual basis, it seems as though a curriculum for non current pilots to study would be advantageous to both student and CFI.
If you're talking about ground study, AOPA has an excellent study guide here.

I've been to 5 CFI's in my time as a PP, 4 of them for currency. Not a single one has been able to give me a list of items, in black and white, that I had better re-learn or I'm not getting my endorsement. I'm sure they all had something in their heads about their expectations of me, but we took our reviews a piece at a time with little forethought beyond what to study for our next hour of flight.
Time to go to CFI #6 -- the one who does have a plan (or at least knows how to make one).

wow, after 7 years of inactivity, 1 hour of dual and an hour of ground, I would classify as on the extraordinary side for a BFR and a checkout in any plane in the fleet.

I feel pretty useless after this post. thanks..

I grew up around airplanes. Flew a ton with my dad, handled the controls way more than a little kid should. When I started taking actual lessons, I was simply demonstrating what I already knew.

Solo in five hours?

According to my logbook, yes. But how many actual hours?? Nobody knows....

With that background, flying is like riding a bike- you don't forget, you just jump on and go.

I'm the weird one here- Please don't feel useless!!

I came back after 23 years,did a BFR,and was ready to go. Was sure to do crosswind landings with the CFI . Got my medical and a current far,s before going to fly. A little over 3 hrs good to go. Whatever you and the CFI thinks your comfortable with.

Not quite the way I see it. The FAA has cleared you to fly on the condition that you meet all recent experience requirements, including the requirement for a flight review. The flight review is given by an individual instructor, not the FAA, so the FAA is not involved in getting that flight review.

That's one way of looking at it.

That is correct. But I don't see the point of you practicing things on which the instructor has already decided you are satisfactory before moving on to complete the rest of the flight review. It sounds too much like the Student Pilots who avoid taking the Private practical test and just want to fly solo. Neither the FAA nor the insurance companies like them very much, although there's little the FAA can do about it (but there's a lot the insurers can). In fact, I think it's the insurers you'd have the hardest time selling on your idea -- a current flight review is invariably a requirement for coverage unless you're a Student Pilot paying the sharply higher Student Pilot rates.

If you're talking about ground study, AOPA has an excellent study guide here.

Time to go to CFI #6 -- the one who does have a plan (or at least knows how to make one).

I appreciate your input. Hard to pick CFI #6. Simply not many choices out there in some geographic locations (like mine) I decided that next time, I make the plan since its me that I ultimately have to perform for.

The rest of this stuff might simply be too many snowy days to think without being able to see the roads/runways/anything for that matter.

I appreciate your input. Hard to pick CFI #6. Simply not many choices out there in some geographic locations (like mine) I decided that next time, I make the plan since its me that I ultimately have to perform for.
How about telling the CFI you expect to see a plan, make some appropriate suggestions on what you think that plan should be, and then develop the plan together?

I applaud those who can come back after a long time off and do a normal BFR in the normal time. I am 20+ years out and 3.4 hours back in and I would not consider myself ready to go. The book knowledge is the easy part I have the majority of that down.

The flying skills are another issue as I hadn't even sat in a 172 over the 20+ years. Much of what I am struggling with is not flying the plane but remembering all of the little things that I just used to do and check by habit that I have to actually think through now. I will say the third lesson was when things really began clicking again.

Dr. Bruce told me and my CFI seems to be following this that he enjoyed retraining older students that were coming back because it was a lot like doing a super accelerated PPL. Where you just do go through all of the elements but in about a 1/4 of the time.

I am a few years younger than the OP and making sure I am safe and completely on top of my game is way more important at this stage in the game than just being done.

I do understand where your ideas come from.

We have BFR. that's good enough. Nothing stopping you from working with a CFI and voluntarily self imposing your restrictions on yourself.

What we don't need is more bureacracy and regs.

What we don't need is more bureacracy and regs.

I agree, for me to suggest more bureaucracy and regulations would be hypocritical of what I preach for everything else in life.

I guess I just wish that I was more organized to develop a script for coming back in the game. I've done this more than once with varying results.

One of my problems is sometimes when I try to get current again, often its in a plane I've never flown. So its a more complicated process.

couple of thoughts on your thoughts:D

I see on this board alone that guys are taking about 10 hours, obviously depends on the rust. I took a flight with a CFI after 2 years of inactivity and he was ready to cut me loose after .8 dual. However I took another flight with another CFI after 6 years of rust but in a different make/model. Way more time required.

Way too many variables to put a "3 hrs. tops" tag on it I think.

I think more to my point, there is a guy here that hasn't flown in a LONG time, maybe 20 years. His skills may come back after 3 hours, but in order to get the BFR, there's lots of other stuff to review. He should be able to review at a pace a new student does, while soloing. Just my opinion.

It looks like, according to the threads on this board alone, that 3 hours is barely doable.

Some pilots are addicted to CFIs, some aren't. :dunno:

I agree, for me to suggest more bureaucracy and regulations would be hypocritical of what I preach for everything else in life.

I guess I just wish that I was more organized to develop a script for coming back in the game. I've done this more than once with varying results.

One of my problems is sometimes when I try to get current again, often its in a plane I've never flown. So its a more complicated process.

"Develop a script"? You are way over thinking this. :yes:

After rereading your posts you might want to reconsider flying at all. You seem to have a defeatest attitude towards flying, regulations, and using a CFI as a crutch. You have quit several times for extended period. You need to be honest with your flying isn't for everyone.

What are your goals for flying?
What are your expectations?
If you don't have the passion might be time to hang it up?

One of the greatest joys of flying is learning to fly different airplanes. Learning new things, studying about new airplanes, physics, weather, new aviation gizmos.

Not trying to be harsh, just real. :dunno:

Last edited:
"Develop a script"? You are way over thinking this. :yes:

After rereading your posts you might want to reconsider flying at all. You seem to have a defeatest attitude towards flying, regulations, and using a CFI as a crutch. You have quit several times for extended period. You need to be honest with your flying isn't for everyone.

What are your goals for flying?
What are your expectations?
If you don't have the passion might be time to hang it up?

One of the greatest joys of flying is learning to fly different airplanes. Learning new things, studying about new airplanes, physics, weather, new aviation gizmos.

Not trying to be harsh, just real. :dunno:

You may be onto something. Unfortunately.

I dug this thread up from 3 years ago that I started and when seeing it, I think you may be right.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41333

Last edited:
3 hours? 8 hours?

I did over 20 to re-enter, my choice. Love my life, and am passionate about safety. Don't want to be a statistic.

Yes, my break was longer - 41 years almost to the day. Click here for an interview when I was early in the process. http://www.planeviz.com/flying-again-after-a-40-year-break-bob-eicholz/

Why so many hours, when my first time around the pattern was nearly perfect? (Instructor was shocked when he entered the next line in my torn / faded log book...last entry was 1972).

* Safety
* Safety
* Safety
* Flying is WAY more complex now...glass, ATC (LA is amazingly complex as are other areas)
* Doing this for fun and don't want to get killed for doing something stupid (yes, I know this still might happen, but it's less likely)

Training is personal. You will know when you are ready!

The thing is with flight reviews and getting someone recurrent is that what I prescribe depends on the pilot and that is what the FAA wants. What kind of flying they intend to do, what kind of equipment, how long they have been out of flying as well as their experience prior to flying? For once the FAA has given up flexibility and I like it. Yes, unfortunately some pilots get addicted to the same CFI and go back to that person every 24 months for the same thing.
As an example, I am working with a pilot who needs a flight review and an IPC and owns his own airplane but is just back up flying after a 1 year self grounding. He has flown VFR recently with other pilots, but no IFR in over 10 years. No experience with IFR GPS though his airplane has one. He has a total of about 800 hours spread over 20 years.
For ground I assigned him some of the courses at faa.gov- just about all of the AOPA instrument courses as well as the FAA's IPC course.
He wants to use his iPad and Foreflight for charts, so we spent one ground lesson just going over Foreflight, reviewing charts, filing a flight plan, etc.
His first flight in his airplane we will go over basic private pilot maneuvers.
If he gets this and there is time left, we will fill out his power chart.
Lesson two will be BI and the power chart if not done flight one. If he gets BI, move on to IFR navigation.
.... etc.
I told him plan on a minimum of four flights for his flight review and IPC but that is if all goes well. I also told him priority #1 is his flight review, then his IPC and we would review the progress after each flight.

Another pilot might be different. Had another student who was a former military/airline pilot, but very little GA time and had not flown in over 5 years. Purchased a J-3 that he would fly out of a friends grass strip and needed a tail wheel endorsement and flight review. Told him 5-10 hours. I've had low time pilots pick up tail wheel right away. I've had high time pilots who struggled.

Well said, Blackhawk! FAA minimums are just that...minimums. What's needed is safe pilots.

I was proud to solo in 6 hours and passed PPL in 60. Now as an adult, I see that the number of hours is not relevant. As I work toward my IFR, I'm not even paying attention to hours. I'm ready when I'm ready.

I agree about the instructor too...I have flown recently with 8 instructors (partly because it was required to get checked out in 172, 182, PA28, PA32, SR20 and SR22). I can tell you they are all very different...from one I call "Good Job Larry" (anything goes and is a good job) to "Mean Mary" (shame on you for not meeting the exact PTS for every move).

My favorite so far is a guy who's 100% honest and frank (I get away with nothing), yet respectful. He grades me after every flight and says I'm doing great. But he pulls no punches...has a list of at least 10 things I did wrong after every flight...and kudos for what went well.

The thing is with flight reviews and getting someone recurrent is that what I prescribe depends on the pilot and that is what the FAA wants. What kind of flying they intend to do, what kind of equipment, how long they have been out of flying as well as their experience prior to flying? For once the FAA has given up flexibility and I like it. Yes, unfortunately some pilots get addicted to the same CFI and go back to that person every 24 months for the same thing.
As an example, I am working with a pilot who needs a flight review and an IPC and owns his own airplane but is just back up flying after a 1 year self grounding. He has flown VFR recently with other pilots, but no IFR in over 10 years. No experience with IFR GPS though his airplane has one. He has a total of about 800 hours spread over 20 years.
For ground I assigned him some of the courses at faa.gov- just about all of the AOPA instrument courses as well as the FAA's IPC course.
He wants to use his iPad and Foreflight for charts, so we spent one ground lesson just going over Foreflight, reviewing charts, filing a flight plan, etc.
His first flight in his airplane we will go over basic private pilot maneuvers.
If he gets this and there is time left, we will fill out his power chart.
Lesson two will be BI and the power chart if not done flight one. If he gets BI, move on to IFR navigation.
.... etc.
I told him plan on a minimum of four flights for his flight review and IPC but that is if all goes well. I also told him priority #1 is his flight review, then his IPC and we would review the progress after each flight.

Another pilot might be different. Had another student who was a former military/airline pilot, but very little GA time and had not flown in over 5 years. Purchased a J-3 that he would fly out of a friends grass strip and needed a tail wheel endorsement and flight review. Told him 5-10 hours. I've had low time pilots pick up tail wheel right away. I've had high time pilots who struggled.

Much like soloing, it takes what it takes to get back into the groove of things when you've been off.

Your heart's in the right place, but the existing system works pretty well for getting back into things. Get up with an instructor and do the work...over and over.

You'll probably find the rust is on your confidence more than your motor skills. Mechanically flying the airplane is like the proverbial bike.

What's beating you up right now is your confidence. There are things that bother you, scare you, make you nervous. You probably have experienced moments where you felt releived to cancel a flight due to the plane being down or weather not being ideal.

Soemtimes you've got to face your demons.

Is it stalls? Go up and do them over and over. Work with an instructor who's proficient in spins and you'll see that a stall gone wrong is not the end of the world.

Crosswinds make you nervous? Go do them, over and over. Fly on bumpy days.

Your CFI will eventually sign you off. Walk right back out to the airplane and do some more airwork.

Your confidence will improve the more you fly. I promise. I've experienced it, and many many others have as well.

Don't be turned off by the snarky comments here. Clearly you know how to fly...you've passed a check ride, you're motivated enough to keep going back.

Once you're confident, you will have fun.

3 hours? 8 hours?

I did over 20 to re-enter, my choice. Love my life, and am passionate about safety. Don't want to be a statistic.

Yes, my break was longer - 41 years almost to the day. Click here for an interview when I was early in the process. http://www.planeviz.com/flying-again-after-a-40-year-break-bob-eicholz/

Why so many hours, when my first time around the pattern was nearly perfect? (Instructor was shocked when he entered the next line in my torn / faded log book...last entry was 1972).

* Safety
* Safety
* Safety
* Flying is WAY more complex now...glass, ATC (LA is amazingly complex as are other areas)
* Doing this for fun and don't want to get killed for doing something stupid (yes, I know this still might happen, but it's less likely)

Training is personal. You will know when you are ready!

Careful with all that safety talk you might be accused of not being passionate enough. :rolleyes2:

I do think there is some over thinking going on by the OP. In my view better that than under thinking it. My stance is I will fly with the CFI until I feel I am ready or what he has me doing doesn't make sense to me anymore (so far so good I am very happy with what we are doing). At that point he will either sign me off or it will be time to find another CFI to get the BFR with. :yesnod:

Having said that it seems to me there is no point in rushing it. Every little thing you learn makes you a better and hopefully safer pilot.

Grab a PTS booklet and a CFI, and go out and practice all of the PTS maneuvers. When both you and the CFI are happy, get his autograph and go fly!

Started this thread with some generalized thoughts, like its title, based on observations here, other sites as well as my own frustrations, as it quickly turned to about me, might as well clear some things up before blame gets tossed in the wrong direction.

My case is purely about life choices and the way we set our lives up as adults that prohibit extra curricular activities. Family, business and geographic location between where we live and the airport that has CFI's and planes that are available to rent.

These choices are our own, completely, and it isn't fair to blame a CFI for my choices. We are unfortunately an "instant gratification" world any more and the mirror shows the only person responsible for expectations not met.

Checked my logbook last night. Had a nine year hiatus between '02 and '11. Took to the skies. Got 4 flights in a couple of weeks totaling 5.7 hours. CFI tells me I'm about done with my review and checkout. 1 more flight to controlled airspace for review and we are all wrapped up. Business takes me to another part of the country for six months. So much for that. Certainly not the CFI's fault and no reason to look for another. This is an airport 3 hours from home.

Whenever any CFI and plane is greater than 1 hour ride, it makes it difficult. No ones fault there.

As they say, if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way, but as we age, taking care of elderly parents, young children and work make it tougher to find the time, so when we have a spare few hours we tend to over complicate how to maximize the time, that's on me.

The passion is still there, the logistics are not so much. This is how folks tend to buy planes without the cost justification. I live 3 minutes from an airport. No CFI, no planes to rent.

Fresh new foot of snow coming today doesn't help outlooks on fun stuff.

Not flying is certainly an option, but if we want it bad enough, we'll find a way.

Back