Russian reality video series, propaganda?

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA

The above is the lead episode for the "In the Army Now" series produced in Russia, depicting life in the Russian military. The premise is that two investigative reporters are embedded in Russian military units and participate in training exercises. There is a lot of humor and everyone is on their best behavior.

The purpose however is elusive. What it looks like is some massive PR campaign for the Russian military, but why? It appears to be aimed at Westerners, as everything is subtitled in English, and even occasional narratives are in English. Judging by some of the catch phases, it specifically looks like it is made for Americans.

I find this series entertaining and captivating (re. Anna Nadelko) but not enough to defect to Russian and join their army.

PS - the YouTube channel by Bald and Bankrupt is a good spot, he tours many post Soviet countries (and other places).. and unlike many YouTube videos these days his channel is actually very down to earth and a pleasure to watch

If it is from RT and the question is "is it propaganda?", the answer is yes. That is straight from the Kremlin, baby.

I know that. It's just that the reason is elusive. I'm not sure how they benefit.

Having spent time with a Russian Airborne unit while in Bosnia in the late 90’s the last place I would want to be...the Unit was part of coalition forces securing an area predominantly Serbian and consider Spetznaz. Notice the blue and white undershirt pictured. Wounded that were ambulatory were sent there to heal up from Chechnya prior to heading home to the mother country among other things...did get some time in BMP's though, but conditions were tough, discipline harsh, and vodka when and where ever... The picture is one of their jump masters saluting me coming out of a UH-60...
jumper.jpg

Back