Russian helo pilots

JohnR

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Grrrrrrrr
This looks pretty cool, how they keep dunking the helicopter in the ocean, until all hell breaks loose. What were they thinking?

Attachments

• 92961-Helicopter Water Takeoff.wmv
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
This looks pretty cool, how they keep dunking the helicopter in the ocean, until all hell breaks loose. What were they thinking?

I know nothing about that helo's capabilities, but a posible scenario is one engine out at MGW. Is the helo amphibious? If not, it began to take on water quickly - eliminating any hope of flying and also creating a need to get to dry land quickly before it sank. "Taxied" too fast, nose dug in and you saw the rest.

/pure speculation mode.

-Skip

I'm guessing, but it looks like he may have had a low RPM situation. His liftoff looks normal, but when he starts sinking, the blades have an extremely high amount of coning. A further guess is that he either ruptured or lost his front float (under the cockpit). Regardless of whether he had a float full of water or had water on board as a result, he then had a forward CG and discovered a whole new way to do a dynamic rollover...

Here's my uninformed speculation.

Looks like there's a life raft in the H20, plus the nearby ship looks like Russian CG. So, they're either rescuing, or practicing rescues. The Helo looks like it has some form of pontoons which might allow limited water landing capability like the Sikorsky something-or-other the USCG used.

Hard to tell from the vid, but the tailrotor starts acting funny on initial takeoff, like it was losing power. Maybe it's just the stroboscopic effect, but looks like something went wrong. Then, on the final attempt, you can see the rotor cone pointing forward, as if he was attempting a normal takeoff. Maybe the ship was too heavy for a vertical departure? Once that rotor cone got pointed too far towards the waves it was game over -- boy do those choppers come apart in a hurry!!!!!

I had the impression the first smack onto the water was a demonstration (or just hot dogging). After the first couple pitches into the water, I would think the pilot would chop power and give up. At some point after the first touchdown, the landing gear extended.

Back